Re: [MPD-5D] Re: MBT

  • Sally Hobaugh
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2013
      There are at least 3 cameras there already and have been for awhile by DDOT.

      The solution is never to avoid the trail it is to get more people on it!

      I have been using the trail since before it was even finished at all times of the day and night and have never had a problem.  I am sorry that there are people who have had problems but I think it is rare compared to the number of trail users.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 11, 2013, at 7:25 PM, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

      We are not installing cameras. The Trail is maintained by DDOT and I have not heard of any plans they have for cameras.

      Our officers patrol the Trail every day on bikes, segways, foot, and motorcycles. We urge anyone using the Trail to call 911 at the first sign of any potential danger.

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 11, 2013, at 10:01 PM, "Alex" <dancingmantis@...> wrote:

      As a daily commuter on this section of the trail, I find this very disturbing. I have seen groups of teenagers on this section of trail fanning out across the trail and intimidating cyclists and pedestrians trying to pass in either direction, including parents with strollers forced off the trail. I have also seen these same teen throwing stones at passing trains. What is being done to ensure safety on this increasingly popular byway? Are there cameras? Is there any plan for more of a police presence?

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Brooke Edgecombe <brooke.edgecombe@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I noticed on the Nextdoor Eckington site, the post below, and have a question.
      >
      > How many incidents are there on the Metropolitan Branch Trail day and night on average?
      >
      > Jennifer Gerholdt from Eckington said:
      >
      > Hi neighbors-
      > As I was biking home on the Metropolitan Branch Trail today I came across a biker on the trail near R St NE who was severely beaten. Apparently he was beaten by a fairly large group of African American teenagers that I passed on the trail near the bridge near Florida Avenue. Apparently they beat this biker, a Caucasian male who looked to be in his 50s, for no reason. Cops swarmed the scene and took the man to the hospital, and tried to track down the kids but as far as I know they have not been caught. I share this with you to strongly encourage you to use caution on the trail. This incident occurred in broad daylight and the biker did nothing wrong. I spoke with one of the cops at the scene and he says there are incidents on the trail all the time, day and night. I for one will no longer be using the Metropolitan Branch Trail -- please stay safe everyone.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Brooke Edgecombe
      > Vice President
      > Eckington Civic Association

      moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the Districtx2019;s transportation future and increase transportation choices for all.
      Visit www.wemovedc.org for more information.

    • rpembertonnoma
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2016
        has the MBT been completely reopened?

        Thanks!
      • elcsmail
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2016
          Yes. I was on it earlier this evening. From Edgewood to RIA Station. Bridge to Station is open too.
          LD Lee

          Sent from my NOOK

          "rpembertonnoma@... [MPD-5D]" <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          has the MBT been completely reopened?