Late Night Activity by Perry Street School

  • jbizzzle27
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
      Hi -- there was a kid riding a dirt bike back and forth up the sidewalk around 18th and Perry last night for about a half an hour around 1:00am. Woke me and my wife up. Are these bikes legal? They are frequently ridden around the Taft Rec Center and surrounding neighborhood at all hours.

      Additionally, it seems that Perry Street and 18th, between the school and the park is a popular hangout for large crowd at all hours -- especially, but not limited to, the weekends.

      Is it possible to get a bit more attention and patrols around this area? It seems like the Taft Rec Center and immediate surrounding areas could use a bit more police presence.

      Thanks,
      Josh
    • Beach, Mark (MPD)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
        Josh, thank you for taking your time out to provide this information to us.  Without inspecting the dirt bike, I will not be able to determine whether it was licensed and street legal.  Chances are it's not and should not be ridden on public space or private property without written approval.

        I will pass along your observations to our Patrol Service Area Lieutenant to monitor and ensure that we move folks out the area of Perry and 18th Street, specifically between the school and the park.

        I will have the assigned PSA units attempt to locate and impound the dirt bike if located and not legal.

        Mark Beach
        Assistant Patrol District Commander
        Metropolitan DC Police Department
        Fifth Police District
        1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
        Washington, DC 20002
        202-345-1313 BeachBerry
        202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
        202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
        202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
        202-727-9099 Command Information Center
        "Commitment to Excellence"

        moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the District’s transportation future and increase transportation choices for all.
        Visit www.wemovedc.org for more information.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
          Thanks -- I appreciate your timely response.

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Beach, Mark (MPD)" <mark.beach@...> wrote:

          > Josh, thank you for taking your time out to provide this information to us. Without inspecting the dirt bike, I will not be able to determine whether it was licensed and street legal. Chances are it's not and should not be ridden on public space or private property without written approval.
          >
          > I will pass along your observations to our Patrol Service Area Lieutenant to monitor and ensure that we move folks out the area of Perry and 18th Street, specifically between the school and the park.
          >
          > I will have the assigned PSA units attempt to locate and impound the dirt bike if located and not legal.
          >
          > Mark Beach
          > Assistant Patrol District Commander
          > Metropolitan DC Police Department
          > Fifth Police District
          > 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
          > Washington, DC 20002
          > 202-345-1313 BeachBerry
          > 202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
          > 202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
          > 202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
          > 202-727-9099 Command Information Center
          > "Commitment to Excellence"
          >
          > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this email is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement sensitive. This email should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient.
          >

          > moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the District's transportation future and increase transportation choices for all.
          > Visit www.wemovedc.org<http://www.wemovedc.org> for more information.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Alfred Nader
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
            I was told by the Commander Solberg, of 5th District, that his officers can't chase them even if they were going 100 miles per hour and driving an illegal bike.  He said that we needed to find out where said bike is domiciled so that they can find it that way.

            Last summer I was calling 911 to no avail until I got this message:

            "Mr. Nader,

            We can't chase them, and this gives them an obvious advantage.  The best results we have is when neighbors can tell us who rides them and/or where they are kept.  They cannot legally be ridden in the city in most cases, so we can arrest the rider and confiscate the bikes.

            Andy Solberg"

            I have seen kids almost get run over by these illegal bikes, but unfortunately, as you can see from the above, there is nothing that can be done...  It seems that we need to keep off the streets and sidewalks in order to be truly safe during the summer months.

            Good luck.

            Alfred

            On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM, jbizzzle27 <joshua.barton@...> wrote:

            Thanks -- I appreciate your timely response.

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Beach, Mark (MPD)" <mark.beach@...> wrote:

            > Josh, thank you for taking your time out to provide this information to us. Without inspecting the dirt bike, I will not be able to determine whether it was licensed and street legal. Chances are it's not and should not be ridden on public space or private property without written approval.
            >
            > I will pass along your observations to our Patrol Service Area Lieutenant to monitor and ensure that we move folks out the area of Perry and 18th Street, specifically between the school and the park.
            >
            > I will have the assigned PSA units attempt to locate and impound the dirt bike if located and not legal.
            >
            > Mark Beach
            > Assistant Patrol District Commander
            > Metropolitan DC Police Department
            > Fifth Police District
            > 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
            > Washington, DC 20002
            > 202-345-1313 BeachBerry
            > 202-698-0150 5D Station Operations
            > 202-327-4392 5D Watch Commander
            > 202-698-0111 5D Command Complex
            > 202-727-9099 Command Information Center
            > "Commitment to Excellence"
            >
            > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this email is the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement sensitive. This email should not be forwarded or disseminated to unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient.
            >

            > moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the District's transportation future and increase transportation choices for all.
            > Visit www.wemovedc.org<http://www.wemovedc.org> for more information.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • steppingdoll
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
              Ditto to everything Josh mentioned in his email.

              The individuals who hang out in front of the school do not live in the neighborhood because they drive their cars to Perry St. They park, stand outside of their cars talking and laughing loudly, and sometimes play music from their cars and dance in the street. These individuals also stand and sit on school property which I would think is trespassing, not to mention the trash they leave behind. They congregate during the week and on the weekends at all hours of the night (mostly starting around 11pm and staying sometimes past 2AM).

              I've noticed when a patrol car does come to the scene, most of the time the individuals walk away as if they are leaving, only to return when the patrol car leaves.

              Having an increased police presence is greatly appreciated and will hopefully let these individuals know that this type of activity is not wanted.

              Thx MPD-5D for your action!

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Alfred Nader <naderalfred@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > 202-727-9099 Command Information Center
              > > > "Commitment to Excellence"
              > > >
              > > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for
              > > use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this email is
              > > the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement
              > > sensitive. This email should not be forwarded or disseminated to
              > > unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If
              > > you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
              > > sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail
              > > and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it
              > > from your files if you are not the intended recipient.
              > > >

              > > > moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the
              > > District's transportation future and increase transportation choices for

            • Brian Bradford
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2013
                Are these guys kids or adults closer to 40 years old?

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on my iPad

> [...]

                > > > 202-727-9099 Command Information Center
                > > > "Commitment to Excellence"
                > > >
                > > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail is confidential, intended only for
                > > use by the named recipient(s) above. The content included in this email is
                > > the property of the Metropolitan Police Department and is law enforcement
                > > sensitive. This email should not be forwarded or disseminated to
                > > unauthorized users. It should only be used by the intended recipient. If
                > > you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
                > > sender by replying to this e-mail at the address shown above. This e-mail
                > > and any attachments may contain confidential information. Please delete it
                > > from your files if you are not the intended recipient.
                > > >

                > > > moveDC is a citywide initiative to develop a bold, new vision for the
                > > District's transportation future and increase transportation choices for

              • jbizzzle27
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2013
                  Ok, so there are obviously multiple issues in the area around Taft and the Perry Street school.

                  In my experience, those riding dirt bikes are kids.

                  Those partying at 18th & Perry appear to be mostly adults.

                  I would be interested in learning more about the 5th District's strategy around this area and seeing if more attention could help deter this regular behavior.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2013
                    The adults are people that used to live in the neighborhood. They played for Woodridge, went to John Burroughs, Taft, McKinley, now meet in the old neighborhood. I dont know the teenagers.

                    Ok, so there are obviously multiple issues in the area around Taft and the Perry Street school.

                    In my experience, those riding dirt bikes are kids.

                    Those partying at 18th & Perry appear to be mostly adults.

                    I would be interested in learning more about the 5th District's strategy around this area and seeing if more attention could help deter this regular behavior.

                    --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Brian Bradford <brianbradford42@...> wrote:

                    > Are these guys kids or adults closer to 40 years old?
                    >

                    > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on my iPad

                  • Bernat, Edward (MPD)
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 5, 2013

                      Thank you for your response.  We will be addressing the Disorderly Conduct in the area as well as the illegal bikes.

                      Edward R. Bernat

                      Lieutenant

                      Fifth District

                      1805 Bladensburg Road, N.E.