KNOW THE FACTS ABOUT IDENTITY THEFT

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      Good Afternoon All,

      As our lives have become more integrated with technology, keeping our
      private information confidential has become more and more difficult.
      Your personal information is regularly requested by others, partially
      completed credit card applications arrive in the mail almost every week,
      and electronic transactions have become commonplace. Although all of
      these changes have the potential to simplify our lives, they can also
      make it easy for someone to take advantage of the situation and steal
      your identity. Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in
      the United States, and sometimes one of the more difficult crimes to
      investigate and solve. The Identity Theft section of the MPDC's
      website provides examples of identity theft, offers tips on how to
      protect your personal information and contains various resources that
      can help you combat identity theft. It also provides steps on what to do
      if you become a victim of identity theft.

      FOOTNOTE: DC residents who have been identity theft victims may contact
      the MPDC's Financial Crimes and Fraud Unit at (202) 727-4159. The
      address is 300 Indiana Avenue, NW, Room 3019, Washington, DC, 20001.

      Office of Communications in the Office of Corporate Communications

      Fayette Vaughn-Lee

      Community Outreach Coordinator

      202 698-0188