Re: [MPD-5D] Fw: Alleged Meat Vendors

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 19 , May 6, 2013
      I don't know if they are inspected or not, just providing a resource because illegal vendors do exist. You can also report EBT fraud to the USDA hotline.

      On May 6, 2013, at 10:01 AM, Matt Ashburn <matt@...> wrote:

      For some background, before this blown further out of proportion:

      The meat isn't "uninspected" (I'm not sure how someone arrived at that, unless through some kind of leap of logic).  This company has been around ever since I moved to the DC area, so at least 9 years.  The Capital Meats business with the vans is indeed a legitimate business in Virginia, selling all kinds of meats that are, yes, USDA inspected.  However, its delivery/sales people are independent subcontractors and many (if not all) are not licensed by DCRA.

      A number of neighbors have purchased their products and are quite satisfied, apparent lack of DC licensing aside.  I haven't tried them, but I know several people who have loyally heir products for years.

      Here are a few links with other background information:

      My personal opinion is that it's no worse than the guys selling EBT benefits at Safeway, the perpetual unlicensed vendors in the CVS parking lot, or the guy selling packs of socks and sheets on the sidewalk.  Not that it shouldn't be addressed, but let's keep it truthful and in perspective.

      Hope this helps,

      Matt

      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Sharon <sjoh200623@...> wrote:

      I am a resident who works for the USDA, selling meat that has not been inspected is a violation of the Federal Meat Inspection Act. You can report these illegal meat vendors to usda.hotline@... or 800-424-9121.

      On May 6, 2013, at 8:16 AM, Joshua Culling <joshuaculling@...> wrote:

      I bought from the meat peddlers last spring. It was delicious. I would urge MPD to avoid harassing private businesses and leave that important work to our ANC commissioners. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

      On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM, <khenderson029@...> wrote:
      I called the 911 dispatcher for police assistance regarding this matter. I appreciate the officers responding, asking the alleged meat vendors for identification and a license to sell meat in the District; they had no vending license and were thus sent on their way (presumably back to Virginia).

      We do not buy meat from trucks, sofas from the sidewalks being sold by North Carolina vendors, etc. Further, we do not appreciate these unlicensed peddlers peering into our windows, stepping on our flowers or otherwise canvassing our community looking for opportunities to steal. We have been victimized by a host of characters claiming to be Pepco, Verizon, UPS etc. representatives. Instead of providing a terse and unresponsive reply, we expect the 5D outreach coordinator to be equally receptive to our concerns. The excuse for failing to post the message is unacceptable. The person serving as an outreach coordinator should at a minimum possess the ability to effectively interact with all members of the community. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

      Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
      Message 2 of 19 , May 6, 2013
        Actually, I don't think it is being blown out of proportion at all, Matt.

        It is just another quality-of-life crime our current MPD is essentially ignoring. That's why we have to keep complaining about it.

        I'll take issue with Commissioner Henderson only to the extent that in most Virginia jurisdictions, those meat peddler scofflaws without licenses would likely have been busted. And then they'd be answering to a judge the following business morning.

        brian/
        504

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Matt Ashburn wrote:

> [...]

        > This type of activity is suspicious. Over the years we have had robberies committed in the area by persons in uniforms claiming to be from Pepco, UPS, contractors etc. Many of these crimes were committed during the day. We still have too many burglaries and thefts in this community. Someone recently cut locks off of my neighbor's gate and stole property. These individuals have not displayed any identification or license authorizing them to sell meat. The VA tag number for the vehicle is WUE3284.
        >
        > If Capital Meats is a legitimate business authorized to sell meat in the District of Columbia, then they should have the ability to identify and transact business with their clients.
        >
        > Thank you in advance for addressing this matter.

      • Kenny Gamble

          --
          The Original Kenny G.
        • Debbie Steiner
          Message 4 of 19 , May 6, 2013
            Good day,

            These are independent contractors who are selling quality meats.  I have quite a few, new and existing residents who purchase these meat products and I have not heard one complaint; except-- they do not come around often enough.

            Information is power. However do not misbrand businesses.

            Further for me-- It is somewhat appalling how the moderators of this listserve would allow a mischaracterization of a business to be published on this venue and other information is scrutinized to the hill,  rewritten and not allowed just because of the misuse of power.

            I will share my concerns with CM Tommy Wells who controls the purse strings of MPD.  I am really at my wits end and tired.

            I while heartily support MPD as a whole but I am tiring of the personality game playing of certain individuals.

> [...]

            > This type of activity is suspicious. Over the years we have had robberies committed in the area by persons in uniforms claiming to be from Pepco, UPS, contractors etc. Many of these crimes were committed during the day. We still have too many burglaries and thefts in this community. Someone recently cut locks off of my neighbor's gate and stole property. These individuals have not displayed any identification or license authorizing them to sell meat. The VA tag number for the vehicle is WUE3284.
            >
            > If Capital Meats is a legitimate business authorized to sell meat in the District of Columbia, then they should have the ability to identify and transact business with their clients.
            >
            > Thank you in advance for addressing this matter.

          • Daniel Chapman
            Message 5 of 19 , May 6, 2013
              Well said.

              > To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
              > From: mbjornson99@...
              > Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 09:54:27 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Fw: Alleged Meat Vendors
              >
              > This is like deja-vu all over again. We had this same discussion 12
              > or 18 months ago, started by the same person.
              >
              > No one said the meat wasn't inspected.
              >
              > Some people like it.
              >
              > Relax and let people earn a livelihood and don't buy from them if you
              > don't want their meat.
              >
              > On 5/6/13, Carol Carter Walker <carolcarterwalker@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > This is scary.
              > >
              > > I would be very afraid of buying uninspected meat on the street.  That could
              > > start an epidemic.

            • Kimberly Brummett
              Message 6 of 19 , May 6, 2013

                Not to add to this discussion that really is beyond MPDs scope, but... just a thought... IF they are unlicensed, could it be due to the not so friendly (or affordable) process of getting a license for anything in the District?

                Yes, as residents we deserve to not be harassed by fly by night operations or unsafe products (not saying these are - they are probably better than the chemical and hormone laden products in the store), but, this country used to be all about encouraging people to start businesses. Now there are so many taxes, fees and licenses required that it is cost and time prohibitive for a start up or franchisee. Not to mention the occasional abuse by the bureaucracy.

                Maybe this discussion should be about creating an opportunity for those trying to make a living outside of the deep pocketed "big business" operations.

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                The list is not monitored for immediate help. This message is being directly sent to PSA Lieutenant
                Moderator

                > There are two individuals canvassing the 1800 block of L Street NE, claiming to sell meat. One is wearing a pair of checker-colored shorts and a white t-shirt with no signage or lettering. The other is wearing a burgundy polo and shorts. Both are going onto neighbor's properties and peering into windows; one stepped on flowers as he crossed into another yard.
                >
                > This type of activity is suspicious. Over the years we have had robberies committed in the area by persons in uniforms claiming to be from Pepco, UPS, contractors etc. Many of these crimes were committed during the day. We still have too many burglaries and thefts in this community. Someone recently cut locks off of my neighbor's gate and stole property. These individuals have not displayed any identification or license authorizing them to sell meat. The VA tag number for the vehicle is WUE3284.
                >
                > If Capital Meats is a legitimate business authorized to sell meat in the District of Columbia, then they should have the ability to identify and transact business with their clients.
                >
                > Thank you in advance for addressing this matter.
                >
                > Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    MPD-5D-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    MPD-5D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • khenderson029
                Message 7 of 19 , May 6, 2013
                  What people eat is a matter of taste and we take no issue with that. We have citizens that consume deer, small woodland creatures, including rabbits and road kill and that is their right.

                  The issues with the alleged meat vendors are: they are not licensed to sell meat in the District and they pose a security risk to citizens when they enter onto neighbor's property, peering through windows and trampling flowers. My constituents and neighboring constituents do not purchase meat from trucks that are operating in DC without a vending license. These unlicensed meat peddlers are not welcome in ANC's 5D03, 5D04 and 5D05 and we appreciate our law enforcement personnel protecting our rights. Neighbors that wish to purchase meat from trucks should have no difficulty transacting with the company in question.

                  Finally, there was a time when various peddlers routinely hawked their wares on our streets, including guns, drugs, sofas, clothing etc.; persons masquerading as Pepco and UPS personnel robbed our seniors. Also, one of the ice cream trucks sold drugs too. We prefer to conduct our shopping at legitimate retail establishments and do not want peddlers here. Again, we appreciate our law enforcement personnel respecting our right to a safe and quiet community. We enjoy how quiet our community has become and we want to keep it this way.

                  Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05

                  From: Joshua Culling <joshuaculling@...>
                  Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 08:16:23 -0400
                  To: MPD-5D<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                  Cc: <andrew.solberg@...>; <andre.wright@...>; <morgan.kane@...>; Lieutenant Bryant Jeter<bryant.jeter@...>; <crm_112@...>

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 6, 2013
                    What really needs to be exposed is how SMD Commissioners seem to speak for other SMD's which in of itself is fraudulent.

                    Each SMD Commissioner is to speak for themselves, there is no proxy-- read the law;  and no one should continually write on behalf of other SMD Commissioners -- it is illegal. PERIOD.

                    Each SMD Commissioner represents ONLY the area of which they were elected to represent, nothing further.

                    When someone writes on behalf of another SMD Commissioner, their area, or the Commissioners thoughts that is "hearsay", or to state what other SMD's constituents is stating, when there has not been an SMD meeting held in those areas regarding the fronted issue is fraud.

                    ANC CHAIRPERSON's are no more than individuals who convenes meetings.  And, who are directly responsible for disseminating information to the entire body of the ANC Commissioned area. It is the decision making power of each INDIVIDUAL Single Member District Commissioner, collectively who makes the decisions for the entire ANC, not one person.

                    So, to conclude this statement;  Chairperson Kathy Henderson, if you again write on this listserve a thought or misrepresentation of constituents that you do not serve, I will personally write a complaint to the Attorney General's Office to impose a sanction against you for misrepresenting information.

                    Please be mindful Ms. Henderson, you have already wrote a false report on officers during the time of your election in 2012; you have already been recently sighted by Judge Erik Christian for libel on a listserve against business owners and commanded by that judge to make financial resolve.

                    I will, if necessary, have the Attorney General to opine on your writings and your continual abuse of power snd misrepresentation of constituents whom you do not represent.

                    Further, If need be, I will go to the extent of having you BANNED from writing on this listserve, because of your passed negative history, while giving you the reading option only.

                    Moreover, if anyone, including your daughter, who is a SMD Commissioner would like to express their thoughts on this listserve, then I am positive that they can,  and should, write their own comments unless they are illiterate.  And if it is the later, then maybe they need to resign.

> [...]

                    > This type of activity is suspicious. Over the years we have had robberies committed in the area by persons in uniforms claiming to be from Pepco, UPS, contractors etc. Many of these crimes were committed during the day. We still have too many burglaries and thefts in this community. Someone recently cut locks off of my neighbor's gate and stole property. These individuals have not displayed any identification or license authorizing them to sell meat. The VA tag number for the vehicle is WUE3284.
                    >
                    > If Capital Meats is a legitimate business authorized to sell meat in the District of Columbia, then they should have the ability to identify and transact business with their clients.
                    >
                    > Thank you in advance for addressing this matter.

                  • Austin, Alexia (MPD)
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 6, 2013
                      In reference to meat vendors, mostly all of them are licensed/ USDA approved meat.  However, most them sell to businesses and restaurants in the area.  Sometimes when they have extra surplus or haven't sold all of their meat to meet their expected quotas, some of the vendors will patrol the neighborhoods and sell the meat door to door for a discounted price.  If you think any of the activity is suspicious, please call 9-1-1.

                      Alexia L. Austin

                      Sergeant

                      PSA 504

                      FTO Coordinator

                      Fifth District Station

                      1805 Bladensburg Rd., N.E.

                      Washington, DC 20002

                      (202) 698-4688 - Office  (202) 724-8649 Fax

                      Email: alexia.austin@...

                      If you SEE something, SAY something.

                      Call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099 or email at SAR@... to report suspicious activity or behavior that has already occurred.

                      Call 911 to report in-progress threats or emer

                      Play DC is an ambitious program to renovate 32 District play spaces across the city and improve your quality of life.
                      Click here for more information on this  DPR and DGS-driven initiative.

                      The list is not monitored for immediate help. This message is being directly sent to PSA Lieutenant
                      Moderator

                      > There are two individuals canvassing the 1800 block of L Street NE, claiming to sell meat. One is wearing a pair of checker-colored shorts and a white t-shirt with no signage or lettering. The other is wearing a burgundy polo and shorts. Both are going onto neighbor's properties and peering into windows; one stepped on flowers as he crossed into another yard.
                      >
                      > This type of activity is suspicious. Over the years we have had robberies committed in the area by persons in uniforms claiming to be from Pepco, UPS, contractors etc. Many of these crimes were committed during the day. We still have too many burglaries and thefts in this community. Someone recently cut locks off of my neighbor's gate and stole property. These individuals have not displayed any identification or license authorizing them to sell meat. The VA tag number for the vehicle is WUE3284.
                      >
                      > If Capital Meats is a legitimate business authorized to sell meat in the District of Columbia, then they should have the ability to identify and transact business with their clients.
                      >
                      > Thank you in advance for addressing this matter.
                      >
                      > Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          MPD-5D-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          MPD-5D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Patricia Coleman
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 6, 2013
                        Thank you!

                        The list is not monitored for immediate help. This message is being directly sent to PSA Lieutenant
                        Moderator

                        > There are two individuals canvassing the 1800 block of L Street NE, claiming to sell meat. One is wearing a pair of checker-colored shorts and a white t-shirt with no signage or lettering. The other is wearing a burgundy polo and shorts. Both are going onto neighbor's properties and peering into windows; one stepped on flowers as he crossed into another yard.
                        >
                        > This type of activity is suspicious. Over the years we have had robberies committed in the area by persons in uniforms claiming to be from Pepco, UPS, contractors etc. Many of these crimes were committed during the day. We still have too many burglaries and thefts in this community. Someone recently cut locks off of my neighbor's gate and stole property. These individuals have not displayed any identification or license authorizing them to sell meat. The VA tag number for the vehicle is WUE3284.
                        >
                        > If Capital Meats is a legitimate business authorized to sell meat in the District of Columbia, then they should have the ability to identify and transact business with their clients.
                        >
                        > Thank you in advance for addressing this matter.
                        >
                        > Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            MPD-5D-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            MPD-5D-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Matthew
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 6, 2013
                          I'm a bit confused when you keep using the term "alleged meat vendors."

                          Are they known vendors selling alleged meat, or alleged vendors selling what is known to be meat? Because I'll buy real meat from an alleged vendor, but never alleged meat from a known vendor. Sometimes the known vendors buy from alleged meat wholesalers, and then you run into real problems. Allegedly.