5.1.13 Arrest Made Homicide: 1200 Blk Raum Street, NE Thomas Terrell Jamison

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2013

      Contact:  Officer Paul Metcalf (202) 727-4383

      May 1, 2013

      Arrest Made in Homicide: 1200 Block of Raum Street, NE

      (Washington, DC) — Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Homicide Branch have announced an arrest in the fatal shooting which occurred in the 1200 block of Raum Street, NE.

      On Wednesday, May 1, 2013, at approximately 7:39 am, officers from the Fifth District responded to the 1200 block of Raum Street, NE for the report of a shooting.  Upon arrival, they located an adult male suffering from apparent gunshot wounds.  DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel transported the victim to a local hospital where he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead.

      The decedent has been identified as 35 year-old Thomas Terrell Jamison of Southeast, Washington, DC.

      A second individual was located in the 1200 block of Simms Place, NE suffering from an apparent gunshot wound.  DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel transported the victim to a local hospital.  After his was treatment and release from the hospital, 43 year-old Kenneth Brown of Northeast, Washington, DC, was arrested and charged with Second Degree Murder While Armed in the shooting death of Thomas Terrell Jamison.

      Play DC is an ambitious effort to provide the District’s children and adults with exciting, innovative and inclusive play spaces. Learn more about this DPR and DGS partnership to improve playgrounds here.

    • Kim
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2013
        This is unfortunately the block where I, somewhat reluctantly, just moved to.

        My strategy so far has been to never go out at night and only try to be outside while walking my dog or waiting for the bus. Today's shooting happened during morning rush hour which is one of the few times I would be outside.
        Do you have any tips or advice for keeping safe in a high crime area?  Online resources? Community workshops/training? Advice for women from female officers?

        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2013
          We applaud the swift response of the officers, which resulted in an arrest in this matter. A swift response by law enforcement sends a strong message that we will not tolerate crime, especially violent crime. Every criminal should expect to be met with fast-acting law enforcement personnel and citizens who say something when they see something. This is a formula for crime-fighting success. Keep up the great work!

          Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05

          From: "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...>
          Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 20:00:07 -0400
          To: mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com<mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        • Whitney Graves

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2013

              This is part of the investigation, and we are not providing information on that now.

              Andy Solberg