Last word on Armed robbery of XM Radio employee

  • Rynecki
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
      Greetings -

      I'm providing a final update to the list on this
      activity. I met with Lt. Ronald Wright at last night's
      neighborhood PSA meeting. Lt. Wright did an excellent
      job of explaining trends and causes for the crime
      we're experiencing.

      I think it's of paramount importance that
      Councilmember Mendelson and Thomas work with all ANCs
      to find legislative means to empower our police and to
      hit at the sources of crime, which tend to be youth
      oriented.

      We need help on:
      1. A new loitering law to easily disperse groups that
      lower our quality of life;
      2. Readily available statistics (hopefully web-based)
      related to crime type, location and frequency;
      3. Legislation that allows officers to spend more time
      policing as opposed to being in court;
      4. Easily levied penalties for parents and guardians
      of youth subject to papered arrests;
      5. Academic suspension and truancy policies that keep
      youth in school and productive instead of wandering
      the streets looking for and finding trouble.

      We agreed that Metro Police need to be brought into
      the discussion and problem solving for this. I'm
      favorably impressed with MPD 5D's response. Our civic
      association looks forward to teaming up with all
      applicable law enforcement agencies to improve
      awareness and prevention tactics. I'd also like to
      recognize contributions from ANC Stu Davenport and my
      friend Debbie Smith last night.

      Thanks and don't worry about any more emails from me
      for awhile. Phil - please check your email or use
      Fenty's new computerized system - we need you to be
      responsive.

      Steve Rynecki
      Eckington Civic Assn

      --- Rynecki <srynecki@...> wrote:

      > Dear Commander Greene:
      >
      > Thank you for your response. I applaud your propsed
      > outreach to XM Radio and FedEx to work with those
      > firms. Apparently XM is exploring the possibility of
      > hiring off duty police officers to partol the area
      > where we're seeing increased crime.
      >
      > I still think a patrol car (unmanned) parked on
      > Eckington Place is a deterrent and 1 CCTV on
      > Eckington Place located at the alley between Q
      > Street
      > and Quincy Place NE would be needed. Metro Police
      > should install a CCTV on Florida Ave for folks
      > walking
      > to and from the metro - I don't know anyone at the
      > Metro Police Dept, I'm hoping you do.
      >
      > Again, I appreciate your detailed response!
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Steve Rynecki

      Finding fabulous fares is fun.
    • Rynecki
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
        Greetings -

        I would like to acknowledge the efforts Lt. Wright and
        his team have been making since our last PSA meeting.
        we now have a regular foot patrol during the peak
        morning hours on Eckington Place and Florida Ave NE. I
        saw an empty squad Friday night parked outside XM
        Radio. This is good to see! Please keep it up.

        I received a call from Metro Transit Police today.
        Sgt. Enoch will deploy plain clothes officers to the
        NY Ave Metro station during peak hours in the morning
        and afternoon hours to increase saftey. WMATA is
        piloting a CCTV system at the U Street Station. If
        that pilot is successful we hope to see some at the NY
        Ave station hopefully this year.

        Best regards,
        Steve Rynecki

        Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.