RE: [MPD-5D] Re: [Eckington] Armed robbery of XM Radio employee

  • Rynecki
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
      Dear Commander Greene:

      Thank you for your response. I applaud your propsed
      outreach to XM Radio and FedEx to work with those
      firms. Apparently XM is exploring the possibility of
      hiring off duty police officers to partol the area
      where we're seeing increased crime.

      I still think a patrol car (unmanned) parked on
      Eckington Place is a deterrent and 1 CCTV on
      Eckington Place located at the alley between Q Street
      and Quincy Place NE would be needed. Metro Police
      should install a CCTV on Florida Ave for folks walking
      to and from the metro - I don't know anyone at the
      Metro Police Dept, I'm hoping you do.

      Again, I appreciate your detailed response!

      Best regards,
      Steve Rynecki

      --- "Greene, Jennifer Cmdr. (MPD)"

      === message truncated ===

      Get your own web address.
    • Rynecki
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
        Greetings -

        I'm providing a final update to the list on this
        activity. I met with Lt. Ronald Wright at last night's
        neighborhood PSA meeting. Lt. Wright did an excellent
        job of explaining trends and causes for the crime
        we're experiencing.

        I think it's of paramount importance that
        Councilmember Mendelson and Thomas work with all ANCs
        to find legislative means to empower our police and to
        hit at the sources of crime, which tend to be youth
        oriented.

        We need help on:
        1. A new loitering law to easily disperse groups that
        lower our quality of life;
        2. Readily available statistics (hopefully web-based)
        related to crime type, location and frequency;
        3. Legislation that allows officers to spend more time
        policing as opposed to being in court;
        4. Easily levied penalties for parents and guardians
        of youth subject to papered arrests;
        5. Academic suspension and truancy policies that keep
        youth in school and productive instead of wandering
        the streets looking for and finding trouble.

        We agreed that Metro Police need to be brought into
        the discussion and problem solving for this. I'm
        favorably impressed with MPD 5D's response. Our civic
        association looks forward to teaming up with all
        applicable law enforcement agencies to improve
        awareness and prevention tactics. I'd also like to
        recognize contributions from ANC Stu Davenport and my
        friend Debbie Smith last night.

        Thanks and don't worry about any more emails from me
        for awhile. Phil - please check your email or use
        Fenty's new computerized system - we need you to be
        responsive.

        Steve Rynecki
        Eckington Civic Assn

        --- Rynecki <srynecki@...> wrote:

        > Dear Commander Greene:
        >
        > Thank you for your response. I applaud your propsed
        > outreach to XM Radio and FedEx to work with those
        > firms. Apparently XM is exploring the possibility of
        > hiring off duty police officers to partol the area
        > where we're seeing increased crime.
        >
        > I still think a patrol car (unmanned) parked on
        > Eckington Place is a deterrent and 1 CCTV on
        > Eckington Place located at the alley between Q
        > Street
        > and Quincy Place NE would be needed. Metro Police
        > should install a CCTV on Florida Ave for folks
        > walking
        > to and from the metro - I don't know anyone at the
        > Metro Police Dept, I'm hoping you do.
        >
        > Again, I appreciate your detailed response!
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Steve Rynecki

        Finding fabulous fares is fun.
      • Rynecki
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
          Greetings -

          I would like to acknowledge the efforts Lt. Wright and
          his team have been making since our last PSA meeting.
          we now have a regular foot patrol during the peak
          morning hours on Eckington Place and Florida Ave NE. I
          saw an empty squad Friday night parked outside XM
          Radio. This is good to see! Please keep it up.

          I received a call from Metro Transit Police today.
          Sgt. Enoch will deploy plain clothes officers to the
          NY Ave Metro station during peak hours in the morning
          and afternoon hours to increase saftey. WMATA is
          piloting a CCTV system at the U Street Station. If
          that pilot is successful we hope to see some at the NY
          Ave station hopefully this year.

          Best regards,
          Steve Rynecki

          Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.