Re: [MPD-5D] Thanks so much for bike patrols!

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
      Thank you for your words of encouragement. I'll make sure our mountain bike officers see your note and understand that the community supports our efforts on the Trail.

      I would also like to mention that the Atlanta Police are looking into policing strategies for a bike trail they are developing there, and last week sent one of their lieutenants up to work with our own 5D sergeant Jon Dorrough to develop policing practices for their city.

      As regular listserv readers will note, Sgt. Dorrough has led 5D efforts for over two years to maintain a strong presence of 5D officers on the Trail and was cited last year by Chief Lanier for his work.

      I would also point out that many readers who live in or pass through PSA 502, where the Trail passes through 5D, recognize the leadership of Sgts. Marquis Queen and Wayne Steinhilber, and PSA Lieutenant Ron Wright, as being critical to the safety on the Trail and throughout the PSA.

      I think that if other major cities send their leaders here to observe and learn from us, and people notice increased police presence on the Trail, the work of these supervisors and their officers is certainly recognized by
      us as contributing to a sense of security in the area.

      Thank you.

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 23, 2013, at 8:33 PM, "Elizabeth Lyttleton" <eblyttleton@...> wrote:

      Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the bike patrols on the MBT! As we entered the trail at 8th today, a pair of officers on bikes were riding off the trail. Also, further down the trail a couple of officers were having a snack on a bench with their bikes nearby. I love seeing bike patrols on the trail - their presence helps make the trail a great asset!

      Elizabeth

      Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse typos.

      April is National 9-1-1 Education Month!
      Create a Safety Profile for your household at Smart911.com.
      It’s free, 100% private and secure. Help 9-1-1, help you!

    • Beach, Mark (MPD)

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23, 2013
          Re: [MPD-5D] Thanks so much for bike patrols! I wanted to thank MPD for all that you are doing to make this a better, safer city. The change these last few years has been amazing. We are very proud to be Washingtonians, and boast about our great Police Chief and all that the entire force is accomplishing. It is also amazing to watch how hard you work to engage the community in an effort to be more effective.
          Thank you and stay safe!

[...]

          Create a Safety Profile for your household at Smart911.com <http://www.smart911.com> .
          Itx2019;s free, 100% private and secure. Help 9-1-1, help you!

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
            Thank you very much. We appreciate your encouragement!

            Andy Solberg
            Commander, 5D

            Sent from my iPhone

[...]

          • Mary Alzire Papadopoulos

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013

                Thanks Mary.  It’s always good to get good reports.

                Andy Solberg

                Commander, 5D

                April is National 9-1-1 Education Month!
                Create a Safety Profile for your household at Smart911.com.
                It’s free, 100% private and secure. Help 9-1-1, help you!

                Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the bike patrols on the MBT! As we entered the trail at 8th today, a pair of officers on bikes were riding off the trail. Also, further down the trail a couple of officers were having a snack on a bench with their bikes nearby. I love seeing bike patrols on the trail - their presence helps make the trail a great asset!

                Elizabeth

                Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse typos.

                April is National 9-1-1 Education Month!
                Create a Safety Profile for your household at Smart911.com <http://www.smart911.com> .
                Itx2019;s free, 100% private and secure. Help 9-1-1, help you!

              • Ann Bowers-Evangelista
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013

                  To MPD-5 and residents -

                  My husband and I are nota residents of MPD-5 or even Washington as of yet. We are relocating from Florida in a few weeks and will be residents of MPD-5. I joined this listserv a few weeks ago to get a sense of what the crime is really like in this area. As a recent city dweller in Atlanta, I know the importance of community involvement in crime prevention.

                  What I have learned from this listserve is so much more than just what's happening I'm a crime perspective. I have observed an incredibly involved, caring, and proactive community. The sense of pride and participation from the citizens, and the responsiveness from the officers, is astounding. I hope Atlanta PD come down to observe more than just the bike patrol for the Beltline!

                  The activity here has helped reinforce our decision to buy a home in this part of the city.  I know we will be proud members of the MPD-5 community and we are excited to get involved.

                  Thanks for all you do!

                  Dr. Ann B-E

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013

                    Welcome to 5D, Dr. Ann B-E!

                    Andy Solberg

                    Commander, 5D

                    April is National 9-1-1 Education Month!
                    Create a Safety Profile for your household at Smart911.com.
                    It’s free, 100% private and secure. Help 9-1-1, help you!

                    Just wanted to say a quick thank you for the bike patrols on the MBT! As we entered the trail at 8th today, a pair of officers on bikes were riding off the trail. Also, further down the trail a couple of officers were having a snack on a bench with their bikes nearby. I love seeing bike patrols on the trail - their presence helps make the trail a great asset!

                    Elizabeth

                    Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse typos.

                    April is National 9-1-1 Education Month!
                    Create a Safety Profile for your household at Smart911.com <http://www.smart911.com> .
                    Itx2019;s free, 100% private and secure. Help 9-1-1, help you!

                  • Kane, Morgan (MPD)
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 24, 2013
                      Welcome to our wonderful city and 5D community Dr. Bowers-Evangelista.

                      Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                      Fifth District Station
                      Metropolitan Police Department
                      1805 Bladensburg Road, NE