RE: [MPD-5D] Re: [Eckington] Armed robbery of XM Radio employee

  • Greene, Jennifer Cmdr. (MPD)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
      Mr. Rynecki,

      Sorry for the delayed response, I forwarded your email to the PSA
      Lieutenant to respond to your concerns. I wanted you to know first hand
      what he and his PSA officers and officials have been and will continue
      to do to make your community safe. Below I have outlined our deployment
      and current plan of action covering the Eckington Area.

      The Eckington Area is still considered a Hot Spot for the Fifth District
      and we will continue with our deployment strategies to cover the area.

      * We have 2 patrol cars assigned to the Eckington Area on every
      tour of duty.

      * There are foot patrols that walk the 4th Street and Lincoln Road
      Areas.

      * There is a CCTV Camera located on Lincoln Road

      In addition, we increased patrol frequency and visibility around
      Eckington and Harry Thomas Way, especially during times of increased
      foot traffic. This week before I received your email I was in contact
      with a parent from McKinley who had the same concerns with the children
      walking to the Metro.

      I have spoken with the First District Commander about increasing the
      patrols on the south side of New York and Florida Avenues.

      Lt. Wright will be in contact with the Security Offices of XM Radio and
      FedEx to work with them on how their employees can be safe coming to and
      from work.

      This is the plan; however, we will be soliciting community input at the
      PSA meeting for our customized policing plan for your community. I
      appreciate your concerns with the increased violence and look forward to
      working with you and the Eckington Community to further develop our
      neighborhood community policing.

      Commander Greene

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
        Dear Commander Greene:

        Thank you for your response. I applaud your propsed
        outreach to XM Radio and FedEx to work with those
        firms. Apparently XM is exploring the possibility of
        hiring off duty police officers to partol the area
        where we're seeing increased crime.

        I still think a patrol car (unmanned) parked on
        Eckington Place is a deterrent and 1 CCTV on
        Eckington Place located at the alley between Q Street
        and Quincy Place NE would be needed. Metro Police
        should install a CCTV on Florida Ave for folks walking
        to and from the metro - I don't know anyone at the
        Metro Police Dept, I'm hoping you do.

        Again, I appreciate your detailed response!

        Best regards,
        Steve Rynecki

        --- "Greene, Jennifer Cmdr. (MPD)"

        === message truncated ===

        Get your own web address.
      • Kimberly Fayton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
          I would also like to know what is being done to address the ongoing crime situation at and around 4th and W Streets, NE. That spot has been prone to crime for some time now, possibly partly due to the abandoned apartment building on that corner and graffiti from the crew that hangs out there can be seen blocks away. I seem to recall mention at a PSA 501 meeting a few months ago of some sort of portable police stations that were to be placed in different hot zones, 4th and W being one of them. To my knowledge, that hasn't materialized and I'd like to know the status of that project. I would appreciate your also asking the Lt. to address these issues.

          Thank you,
          Kimberly Fayton

          <jennifer.greene@ dc.gov> wrote:

          > Mr. Rynecki,
          >

          > Sorry for the delayed response, I forwarded your
          > email to the PSA
          > Lieutenant to respond to your concerns. I wanted
          > you to know first hand
          > what he and his PSA officers and officials have been
          > and will continue
          > to do to make your community safe. Below I have
          > outlined our deployment
          > and current plan of action covering the Eckington
          > Area.
          >

          > The Eckington Area is still considered a Hot Spot
          > for the Fifth District
          > and we will continue with our deployment strategies
          > to cover the area.
          >
          > * We have 2 patrol cars assigned to the
          > Eckington Area on every
          > tour of duty.
          >
          > * There are foot patrols that walk the 4th
          > Street and Lincoln Road
          > Areas.
          >
          > * There is a CCTV Camera located on Lincoln
          > Road
          >

          > In addition, we increased patrol frequency and
          > visibility around
          > Eckington and Harry Thomas Way, especially during
          > times of increased
          > foot traffic. This week before I received your
          > email I was in contact
          > with a parent from McKinley who had the same
          > concerns with the children
          > walking to the Metro.
          >

          > I have spoken with the First District Commander
          > about increasing the
          > patrols on the south side of New York and Florida
          > Avenues.
          >

          > Lt. Wright will be in contact with the Security
          > Offices of XM Radio and
          > FedEx to work with them on how their employees can
          > be safe coming to and
          > from work.
          >

          > This is the plan; however, we will be soliciting
          > community input at the
          > PSA meeting for our customized policing plan for
          > your community. I
          > appreciate your concerns with the increased violence
          > and look forward to
          > working with you and the Eckington Community to
          > further develop our
          > neighborhood community policing.
          >

          > Commander Greene
          >

          > ____________ _________ _________ __

          === message truncated ===

          Get your own web address.
          http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ domains/? p=BESTDEAL

          <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-tpmsgs{ font-family:Arial; clear:both; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px; font-family:Verdana; font-size:77%; margin:0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px; } #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both; margin:25px 0; white-space:nowrap; color:#666; text-align:right; } #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left; white-space:nowrap; } .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana; font-size:77%; padding:15px 0; } #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana; font-size:77%; border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px; } #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          } #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size:77%; font-family:Verdana; font-weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform:uppercase; } #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0; margin:2px 0; } #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none; clear:both; border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold; color:#ff7900; float:right; width:2em; text-align:right; padding-right:.5em; } #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold; } #ygrp-vital a { text-decoration:none; } #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999; font-size:77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px; background-color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom:20px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px; margin:0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square; padding:6px 0; font-size:77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none; font-size:130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc { background-color:#eee; margin-bottom:20px; padding:0 8px; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size:100%; line-height:122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0; } o {font-size:0;} .MsoNormal { margin:0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%; } blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4;} -->

        • Rynecki
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
            Greetings -

            I'm providing a final update to the list on this
            activity. I met with Lt. Ronald Wright at last night's
            neighborhood PSA meeting. Lt. Wright did an excellent
            job of explaining trends and causes for the crime
            we're experiencing.

            I think it's of paramount importance that
            Councilmember Mendelson and Thomas work with all ANCs
            to find legislative means to empower our police and to
            hit at the sources of crime, which tend to be youth
            oriented.

            We need help on:
            1. A new loitering law to easily disperse groups that
            lower our quality of life;
            2. Readily available statistics (hopefully web-based)
            related to crime type, location and frequency;
            3. Legislation that allows officers to spend more time
            policing as opposed to being in court;
            4. Easily levied penalties for parents and guardians
            of youth subject to papered arrests;
            5. Academic suspension and truancy policies that keep
            youth in school and productive instead of wandering
            the streets looking for and finding trouble.

            We agreed that Metro Police need to be brought into
            the discussion and problem solving for this. I'm
            favorably impressed with MPD 5D's response. Our civic
            association looks forward to teaming up with all
            applicable law enforcement agencies to improve
            awareness and prevention tactics. I'd also like to
            recognize contributions from ANC Stu Davenport and my
            friend Debbie Smith last night.

            Thanks and don't worry about any more emails from me
            for awhile. Phil - please check your email or use
            Fenty's new computerized system - we need you to be
            responsive.

            Steve Rynecki
            Eckington Civic Assn

            --- Rynecki <srynecki@...> wrote:

            > Dear Commander Greene:
            >
            > Thank you for your response. I applaud your propsed
            > outreach to XM Radio and FedEx to work with those
            > firms. Apparently XM is exploring the possibility of
            > hiring off duty police officers to partol the area
            > where we're seeing increased crime.
            >
            > I still think a patrol car (unmanned) parked on
            > Eckington Place is a deterrent and 1 CCTV on
            > Eckington Place located at the alley between Q
            > Street
            > and Quincy Place NE would be needed. Metro Police
            > should install a CCTV on Florida Ave for folks
            > walking
            > to and from the metro - I don't know anyone at the
            > Metro Police Dept, I'm hoping you do.
            >
            > Again, I appreciate your detailed response!
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Steve Rynecki

            Finding fabulous fares is fun.
          • Rynecki
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
              Greetings -

              I would like to acknowledge the efforts Lt. Wright and
              his team have been making since our last PSA meeting.
              we now have a regular foot patrol during the peak
              morning hours on Eckington Place and Florida Ave NE. I
              saw an empty squad Friday night parked outside XM
              Radio. This is good to see! Please keep it up.

              I received a call from Metro Transit Police today.
              Sgt. Enoch will deploy plain clothes officers to the
              NY Ave Metro station during peak hours in the morning
              and afternoon hours to increase saftey. WMATA is
              piloting a CCTV system at the U Street Station. If
              that pilot is successful we hope to see some at the NY
              Ave station hopefully this year.

              Best regards,
              Steve Rynecki

              Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.