Re: [Eckington] Armed robbery of XM Radio employee

  • Rynecki
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
      So far, the only offical response to my email
      requesting that MPD 5D outline steps its taking to
      prevent crime in and around XM Radio and the New York
      Ave metro came from Mayor Fenty's office. I think
      Mendelsohn and Lanier can take some pointers from the
      Mayor on how best to respond to public concerns.
      Here's the response:

      January 11, 2007

      Thank you for writing to Mayor Adrian Fenty. We
      appreciate your comments and care about your concerns.
      This acknowledgement is in reference to your recent
      email.

      Your request has been forwarded to Vincent Pugliese,
      the Mayor's point-of-contact at the Metropolitan
      Police Dept. Please feel free to
      contact that office at (202) 727-4218 or
      customerservice.mpd@...
      regarding the status of your request.

      Your correspondence has been assigned the following
      EOM tracking number: 492566. Please refer to this
      number when referencing this request.

      If you receive no contact or reply from the agency
      within 5 business days, please call (202) 727-1000.
      Give them the contact's name, office,
      and tracking number and ask for a point-of-contact
      follow-up.

      ****

      I received an email from Vincent Pugliese's office
      stating that MPD 5D will address this issue shortly. I
      also met with the XM employee who was mugged. Any
      preventative measures MPD 5D can implement will be
      most welcome. The common notion at XM is that our
      neighborhood is very unsafe. We must and need to
      change this perception!

      Best,
      Steve Rynecki

      --- Rynecki <srynecki@...> wrote:

      > Dear Commander Greene,
      >
      > As a resident of the Eckington community and a
      > member
      > of the Eckington Civic Association I'm quite
      > concerned
      > about the rash of crime in my neighborhood. The
      > armed
      > robbery of the XM radio employee and the recent
      > shootings around 4th and W Streets NE are
      > unacceptable.
      >
      > What is 5D doing to mitigate/prevent these kinds of
      > incidents? Preventative policing is much better than
      > reactive policing. This means, in my mind, more foot
      > patrols, CCTV monitors and other visible tools to
      > prevent these unacceptable acts.
      >
      > I, my family and friends frequently walk these
      > streets
      > and don't like the odds we face of being a victim.
      > We
      > don't want a gun pointed at our head on our way home
      > from work or while taking a stroll. We don't want to
      > be shot by desperados - this isn't Dodge City - this
      > is the nation's capital.
      >
      > So please outline the steps 5D is taking to ensure
      > our
      > safety in your reply email. We are serious about
      > police accountability and for visible prevention of
      > crime. By the way, XM Radio is a major commercial
      > asset to our community and a large employer in the
      > District. Their employees have been targets in the
      > past. I'd hate to see them move to the suburbs
      > because
      > we couldn't protect them and I'm sure you wouldn't
      > want that either.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Steve Rynecki
      > Economic Development Co-Chair
      > Eckington Civic Assn

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Greene, Jennifer Cmdr. (MPD)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
        Mr. Rynecki,

        Sorry for the delayed response, I forwarded your email to the PSA
        Lieutenant to respond to your concerns. I wanted you to know first hand
        what he and his PSA officers and officials have been and will continue
        to do to make your community safe. Below I have outlined our deployment
        and current plan of action covering the Eckington Area.

        The Eckington Area is still considered a Hot Spot for the Fifth District
        and we will continue with our deployment strategies to cover the area.

        * We have 2 patrol cars assigned to the Eckington Area on every
        tour of duty.

        * There are foot patrols that walk the 4th Street and Lincoln Road
        Areas.

        * There is a CCTV Camera located on Lincoln Road

        In addition, we increased patrol frequency and visibility around
        Eckington and Harry Thomas Way, especially during times of increased
        foot traffic. This week before I received your email I was in contact
        with a parent from McKinley who had the same concerns with the children
        walking to the Metro.

        I have spoken with the First District Commander about increasing the
        patrols on the south side of New York and Florida Avenues.

        Lt. Wright will be in contact with the Security Offices of XM Radio and
        FedEx to work with them on how their employees can be safe coming to and
        from work.

        This is the plan; however, we will be soliciting community input at the
        PSA meeting for our customized policing plan for your community. I
        appreciate your concerns with the increased violence and look forward to
        working with you and the Eckington Community to further develop our
        neighborhood community policing.

        Commander Greene

        ________________________________

        customerservice.mpd@... <mailto:customerservice.mpd%40dc.gov>

        --- Rynecki <srynecki@... <mailto:srynecki%40yahoo.com> > wrote:

        > Dear Commander Greene,
        >
        > As a resident of the Eckington community and a
        > member
        > of the Eckington Civic Association I'm quite
        > concerned
        > about the rash of crime in my neighborhood. The
        > armed
        > robbery of the XM radio employee and the recent
        > shootings around 4th and W Streets NE are
        > unacceptable.
        >
        > What is 5D doing to mitigate/prevent these kinds of
        > incidents? Preventative policing is much better than
        > reactive policing. This means, in my mind, more foot
        > patrols, CCTV monitors and other visible tools to
        > prevent these unacceptable acts.
        >
        > I, my family and friends frequently walk these
        > streets
        > and don't like the odds we face of being a victim.
        > We
        > don't want a gun pointed at our head on our way home
        > from work or while taking a stroll. We don't want to
        > be shot by desperados - this isn't Dodge City - this
        > is the nation's capital.
        >
        > So please outline the steps 5D is taking to ensure
        > our
        > safety in your reply email. We are serious about
        > police accountability and for visible prevention of
        > crime. By the way, XM Radio is a major commercial
        > asset to our community and a large employer in the
        > District. Their employees have been targets in the
        > past. I'd hate to see them move to the suburbs
        > because
        > we couldn't protect them and I'm sure you wouldn't
        > want that either.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Steve Rynecki
        > Economic Development Co-Chair
        > Eckington Civic Assn

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com <http://new.mail.yahoo.com>

      • Rynecki
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
          Dear Commander Greene:

          Thank you for your response. I applaud your propsed
          outreach to XM Radio and FedEx to work with those
          firms. Apparently XM is exploring the possibility of
          hiring off duty police officers to partol the area
          where we're seeing increased crime.

          I still think a patrol car (unmanned) parked on
          Eckington Place is a deterrent and 1 CCTV on
          Eckington Place located at the alley between Q Street
          and Quincy Place NE would be needed. Metro Police
          should install a CCTV on Florida Ave for folks walking
          to and from the metro - I don't know anyone at the
          Metro Police Dept, I'm hoping you do.

          Again, I appreciate your detailed response!

          Best regards,
          Steve Rynecki

          --- "Greene, Jennifer Cmdr. (MPD)"

          === message truncated ===

          Get your own web address.
        • Kimberly Fayton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
            I would also like to know what is being done to address the ongoing crime situation at and around 4th and W Streets, NE. That spot has been prone to crime for some time now, possibly partly due to the abandoned apartment building on that corner and graffiti from the crew that hangs out there can be seen blocks away. I seem to recall mention at a PSA 501 meeting a few months ago of some sort of portable police stations that were to be placed in different hot zones, 4th and W being one of them. To my knowledge, that hasn't materialized and I'd like to know the status of that project. I would appreciate your also asking the Lt. to address these issues.

            Thank you,
            Kimberly Fayton

            <jennifer.greene@ dc.gov> wrote:

            > Mr. Rynecki,
            >

            > Sorry for the delayed response, I forwarded your
            > email to the PSA
            > Lieutenant to respond to your concerns. I wanted
            > you to know first hand
            > what he and his PSA officers and officials have been
            > and will continue
            > to do to make your community safe. Below I have
            > outlined our deployment
            > and current plan of action covering the Eckington
            > Area.
            >

            > The Eckington Area is still considered a Hot Spot
            > for the Fifth District
            > and we will continue with our deployment strategies
            > to cover the area.
            >
            > * We have 2 patrol cars assigned to the
            > Eckington Area on every
            > tour of duty.
            >
            > * There are foot patrols that walk the 4th
            > Street and Lincoln Road
            > Areas.
            >
            > * There is a CCTV Camera located on Lincoln
            > Road
            >

            > In addition, we increased patrol frequency and
            > visibility around
            > Eckington and Harry Thomas Way, especially during
            > times of increased
            > foot traffic. This week before I received your
            > email I was in contact
            > with a parent from McKinley who had the same
            > concerns with the children
            > walking to the Metro.
            >

            > I have spoken with the First District Commander
            > about increasing the
            > patrols on the south side of New York and Florida
            > Avenues.
            >

            > Lt. Wright will be in contact with the Security
            > Offices of XM Radio and
            > FedEx to work with them on how their employees can
            > be safe coming to and
            > from work.
            >

            > This is the plan; however, we will be soliciting
            > community input at the
            > PSA meeting for our customized policing plan for
            > your community. I
            > appreciate your concerns with the increased violence
            > and look forward to
            > working with you and the Eckington Community to
            > further develop our
            > neighborhood community policing.
            >

            > Commander Greene
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

            === message truncated ===

            Get your own web address.
            http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ domains/? p=BESTDEAL

            <!-- #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;} #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;} #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {font:115% monospace;} #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;} #ygrp-text{ font-family:Georgia; } #ygrp-text p{ margin:0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-tpmsgs{ font-family:Arial; clear:both; } #ygrp-vitnav{ padding-top:10px; font-family:Verdana; font-size:77%; margin:0; } #ygrp-vitnav a{ padding:0 1px; } #ygrp-actbar{ clear:both; margin:25px 0; white-space:nowrap; color:#666; text-align:right; } #ygrp-actbar .left{ float:left; white-space:nowrap; } .bld{font-weight:bold;} #ygrp-grft{ font-family:Verdana; font-size:77%; padding:15px 0; } #ygrp-ft{ font-family:verdana; font-size:77%; border-top:1px solid #666; padding:5px 0; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{ padding-bottom:10px; } #ygrp-vital{ background-color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom:20px; padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
            } #ygrp-vital #vithd{ font-size:77%; font-family:Verdana; font-weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform:uppercase; } #ygrp-vital ul{ padding:0; margin:2px 0; } #ygrp-vital ul li{ list-style-type:none; clear:both; border:1px solid #e0ecee; } #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{ font-weight:bold; color:#ff7900; float:right; width:2em; text-align:right; padding-right:.5em; } #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{ font-weight:bold; } #ygrp-vital a { text-decoration:none; } #ygrp-vital a:hover{ text-decoration:underline; } #ygrp-sponsor #hd{ color:#999; font-size:77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov{ padding:6px 13px; background-color:#e0ecee; margin-bottom:20px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{ padding:0 0 0 8px; margin:0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{ list-style-type:square; padding:6px 0; font-size:77%; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{ text-decoration:none; font-size:130%; } #ygrp-sponsor #nc { background-color:#eee; margin-bottom:20px; padding:0 8px; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad{ padding:8px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{ font-family:Arial;
            font-weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size:100%; line-height:122%; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{ text-decoration:none; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{ text-decoration:underline; } #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{ margin:0; } o {font-size:0;} .MsoNormal { margin:0 0 0 0; } #ygrp-text tt{ font-size:120%; } blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;} .replbq {margin:4;} -->

          • Rynecki
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
              Greetings -

              I'm providing a final update to the list on this
              activity. I met with Lt. Ronald Wright at last night's
              neighborhood PSA meeting. Lt. Wright did an excellent
              job of explaining trends and causes for the crime
              we're experiencing.

              I think it's of paramount importance that
              Councilmember Mendelson and Thomas work with all ANCs
              to find legislative means to empower our police and to
              hit at the sources of crime, which tend to be youth
              oriented.

              We need help on:
              1. A new loitering law to easily disperse groups that
              lower our quality of life;
              2. Readily available statistics (hopefully web-based)
              related to crime type, location and frequency;
              3. Legislation that allows officers to spend more time
              policing as opposed to being in court;
              4. Easily levied penalties for parents and guardians
              of youth subject to papered arrests;
              5. Academic suspension and truancy policies that keep
              youth in school and productive instead of wandering
              the streets looking for and finding trouble.

              We agreed that Metro Police need to be brought into
              the discussion and problem solving for this. I'm
              favorably impressed with MPD 5D's response. Our civic
              association looks forward to teaming up with all
              applicable law enforcement agencies to improve
              awareness and prevention tactics. I'd also like to
              recognize contributions from ANC Stu Davenport and my
              friend Debbie Smith last night.

              Thanks and don't worry about any more emails from me
              for awhile. Phil - please check your email or use
              Fenty's new computerized system - we need you to be
              responsive.

              Steve Rynecki
              Eckington Civic Assn

              --- Rynecki <srynecki@...> wrote:

              > Dear Commander Greene:
              >
              > Thank you for your response. I applaud your propsed
              > outreach to XM Radio and FedEx to work with those
              > firms. Apparently XM is exploring the possibility of
              > hiring off duty police officers to partol the area
              > where we're seeing increased crime.
              >
              > I still think a patrol car (unmanned) parked on
              > Eckington Place is a deterrent and 1 CCTV on
              > Eckington Place located at the alley between Q
              > Street
              > and Quincy Place NE would be needed. Metro Police
              > should install a CCTV on Florida Ave for folks
              > walking
              > to and from the metro - I don't know anyone at the
              > Metro Police Dept, I'm hoping you do.
              >
              > Again, I appreciate your detailed response!
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Steve Rynecki

              Finding fabulous fares is fun.
            • Rynecki
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
                Greetings -

                I would like to acknowledge the efforts Lt. Wright and
                his team have been making since our last PSA meeting.
                we now have a regular foot patrol during the peak
                morning hours on Eckington Place and Florida Ave NE. I
                saw an empty squad Friday night parked outside XM
                Radio. This is good to see! Please keep it up.

                I received a call from Metro Transit Police today.
                Sgt. Enoch will deploy plain clothes officers to the
                NY Ave Metro station during peak hours in the morning
                and afternoon hours to increase saftey. WMATA is
                piloting a CCTV system at the U Street Station. If
                that pilot is successful we hope to see some at the NY
                Ave station hopefully this year.

                Best regards,
                Steve Rynecki

                Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.