Anything more than a walk through?

  • Baker, Tai (NIH/NCI) [C]
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
      Greetings,

      I received an email from the Trinidad neighborhood e-mail distribution
      list about a planned community walk through the Carver Terrace
      neighborhood with the Guardian Angels and Commissioner India Henderson.

      "The Guardian Angels have worked with communities throughout the United
      States and abroad to help citizens take back their neighborhoods from
      criminals. The community walk will convene on January 10, 2007, at 6:30
      p.m. at the corner of 19th Street and Maryland Avenue, NE."

      With the recent resurgence of violence in the neighborhood, are there
      any other crime deterrents planned besides what appears to be a one-time
      only 'walk'.

      ~tai

    • Rynecki
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2007
        The Guarian Angels were a good deterrent when deployed
        across the street from the Greyhound station. I think
        they need support funding in order to dedicate their
        activity in a certain area hotspot.

        --- "Baker, Tai (NIH/NCI) [C]" <bakerta@...>

      • khenderson029@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2007
          In a message dated 1/10/2007 8:20:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          bakerta@... writes:
          Law

          The community walk was quite successful. Community partners from Court
          Services and offender Supervision Agency (CSOSA), the DC Developing Families
          Center, WOL Radio, the Fifth District Police Headquarters and WJLA News joined
          neighborhood residents and the Guardian Angels for the walk. All participants
          locked arms in solidarity to advocate for an end to the recent spike in violent
          crime in the Carver Terrace community.

          The Guardian Angels recruited ten neighborhood youths to participate in
          future neighborhood patrols, as a direct result of the January 10, 2007, walk. We
          will walk again on January 17, 2007, at 7:00 p.m., starting at 17th and M
          Streets, NE. All are welcome to join us. We all want increased public safety
          and must not allow geographical boundaries to hinder our efforts to pursue a
          common goal. Maximum public safety is our goal and our right.

          Kathy Henderson