Re: Fw: Chaotic Central Union Mission Event

  • 5D Community Outreach Coordinator
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
      "Nearly one in three children living in Washington, D.C. (30.4 percent) is considered impoverished. In fact, the number of children living in poverty in Washington, D.C. (30,555) could fill the Verizon Center one and a half times"

      As an MPD employee, I attend a lot of outreach activities weekly. This was not an MPD event; even so, I would never minimize my involvement in any community-based activity and, especially with this event, as it served 800 pre-identified WDC families, with nearly 400 of them living just in the Carver/Langston and Ivy City Communities- many who live well below the poverty line. They were given the tickets by the D.C. service centers that provide services for low-income families, where they go to receive support in obtaining food, clothing, and/or money management counseling. Along with the food items, the participants were provided information on summer camps, clothing centers and other services for low income families.

      Thank you for allowing me to address this concern; in the future, if I am aware of this type of event, I will encourage the organizers to produce and distribute flyers.

      Fayette Vaughn-Lee
      MPD Community Outreach