Re: [MPD-5D] Bloomingdale incidents

  • Leemah
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013

      The 200 block of W street NW where these young girls apparently reside has a rec ctr (Uniting Our Youth) and it is a resource for them. Yet, this rec ctr like any other rec ctr needs support. The director has asked the community, anc leaders and even Jim Graham for some assistance but to no avail. I (homework) volunteer there sometimes and what is needed is ink for copier: paper, pens/pencils, modern and relevant books, microscopes,volunteers, funding to go on outings or funding to pay people to come and teach/train/entertain, etc.

      Thank you
      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      From: Linda Lee <elcsmail@...>
      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Bloomingdale incidents

      I think it is great that there is team-work between our MPD Police Districts. I am very impressed with MPD.
      But, more needs to be done. Our officers can not and should not be expected to do it all.
      We, the rest of us, must help out by providing SAFE PLACES for CHILDREN in their out-of-school hours. OK, so many of us do not have kids. But we all know that there are many kids who have NO ONE AT HOME, that is, IF THEY EVEN HAVE a HOME. Children grow up on the streets because of parents on drugs, parents being incarcerated, or perhaps parents are working more than one job to make ends meet. This is NOT the child's fault. Children are NOT miniature adults. They go through developmental stages. Their brains are NOT like adult brains. Their brains are still growing. They need positive experiences to help them grow to be productive adults. Children need good role models. We need more high-quality out-of-school hours programs.
      I have visited the Boys & Girls Club House over on Benning Rd (next to 6D). It looked like a fun place. There is also a one in the 4D substation. We have empty schools in Ward 5/5D, Shaed ES in Edgewood, for instance. Why don't we have a 5D Club House? Couldn't WE come together WITH our POLICE OFFICERS to do this for our kids? It is a shame for children to begin their criminal lives so early. I saw that someone does tutoring? I used to tutor too.
      FUNDING is a big issue. Perhaps there are some who could help with this?
      ??>Also, what happened to the MONEY that was STOLEN from the KIDS OF WARD 5 by our former councilman? Shouldn't it have been restored to the Children's Trust Fund? Does anyone know?????
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
        Is there a way to make a donation directly to the organization you mention? I do not want to donate to places like the united way that use that money to pay for overhead.

        Feel free to contact me directly crknightdc @ yahoo

        Thanks

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Leemah" <saleem9@...> wrote:

        > The 200 block of W street NW where these young girls apparently reside has a rec ctr (Uniting Our Youth) and it is a resource for them. Yet, this rec ctr like any other rec ctr needs support. The director has asked the community, anc leaders and even Jim Graham for some assistance but to no avail. I (homework) volunteer there sometimes and what is needed is ink for copier: paper, pens/pencils, modern and relevant books, microscopes,volunteers, funding to go on outings or funding to pay people to come and teach/train/entertain, etc.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      • Clarence Miles
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2013
          Thanks again for reaching out to Uniting our Youth. I am executive Director, Clarence Miles, my email address is unitingouryouth@... . We will be setting up a meeting to invite those who would like to help our youth in the community. Together we can show that we are there for them

          --- In mailto:MPD-5D%40yahoogroups.com, "Leemah" <saleem9@...> wrote:

          > The 200 block of W street NW where these young girls apparently reside has a rec ctr (Uniting Our Youth) and it is a resource for them. Yet, this rec ctr like any other rec ctr needs support. The director has asked the community, anc leaders and even Jim Graham for some assistance but to no avail. I (homework) volunteer there sometimes and what is needed is ink for copier: paper, pens/pencils, modern and relevant books, microscopes,volunteers, funding to go on outings or funding to pay people to come and teach/train/entertain, etc.
          >
          > Thank you
          >
          > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

        • Wendy Lewis
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2013
            Count me in!!!!

            Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.