Re: Saturday's Marathon Traffic Nightmare

  • studermw
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 27, 2013
      I'd like to be clear about what my complaint is concerning this and other marathons. I am certainly not opposed to marathons in general and staying fit. I am a runner myself and enjoy getting my exercise outside. I also applaud events that give their proceeds to charity and help the community in some way. I also have no quarrel with the event organizers themselves. They presented a plan to the city that they liked, and it was approved.

      My frustration is with our representatives, most of which don't seem to have an issue like this on their radar screens. The big question I'd like answered is, why is it OK to block roads and intersections in our city for entertainment? I have received criticism for my view that the marathon should not have happened as permitted, most of who feel that I should just get over it and not to worry myself with such a trivial issue. To me, this is very serious. I do not believe that our DC government is appropriately considering important issues when handing out these permits.

      One of the reasons I urged people to speak out to their representatives is because they probably think we're all OK with this. And, if that's the case, then by all means let them know that you're happy. But if you think something needs to change, you have to be vocal about it. Also, one of the reasons I urged people to speak with Councilman McDuffie's office is because he has been a great champion for our Ward. I did notice that this marathon did not cut across Georgetown, Cleveland Park, or some of the other more affluent neighborhoods in the city, and I am hoping that he will ask those questions of the committees that approve these requests. Anacostia, Columbia Heights, and Bloomingdale seem to have born the brunt of this marathon's traffic woes.

      What I would REALLY like to see is a sensible marathon route, and our officials pushing back on anything else. I would like to see real detour routes for traffic, and more police knowledgeable about where traffic should redirect. I am not trying to "kill" this marathon, but rather am trying to get people to acknowledge that the situation can be improved.

      Matt