Re: [MPD-5D] Recent assaults in Bloomingdale

  • Leemah
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013

      I know the girls in question. They are saying that they were not the ones but that the eye witness' and police picked whomever to teach a lesson. I tutor these kids.

      Although they attend school daily, they do run the streets but-you got the wrong ones. One girl has a mother who is ill and bed ridden.

      Nonetheless, if a crime is being committed-call enforcement.

      Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
      Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:19:42 -0400
      To: Fifth District (MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com)<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MPD-5D] Recent assaults in Bloomingdale

      On Tuesday, March 19, at about 6:15 pm, we got a call that a group of young boys and girls were throwing items at a person near 2nd and W Sts., NW.  We went but were unable to find a victim.  While we were investigating this matter, we located a person in the 100 block of Adams St., NW, who said that a group of young boys and girls had used the steps to his basement apartment as a spot to gather, and when he told them to leave, they threw fruit at his window.

      He did not want to make a report about this, but officers were able to canvass the immediate area and found a group of kids in the 2200 block of Flagler in a front yard of a house where they did not live.  Some of the kids ran off, but we were able to stop and identify a young man, who lived nearby.

      In the days after this event, residents made us aware of other similar incidents involving what seemed to us the same group of young kids.

      We alerted all our 5D, and specifically the PSA 501 officers and supervisors, and we moved to put an end to all such activity.

      Yesterday, Monday, March 25, officers in both the First and Fifth Districts got calls about a group of kids assaulting a woman near 2nd and Rhode Island Avenue, NW.  Our 5D officers were on the scene of this event quickly, and we stopped a group of four women who we believed were involved.  One of these girls was placed under arrest after being identified as one of the kids involved in the assault.

      Three other girls were stopped and identified but not arrested.

      All girls are 11, 12, or 13.  All live in the 200 block of W St., NW, and two of the girls are sisters.

      We expect that yesterday’s arrest will put an end to the behavior we have seen, but it is important for everyone to remember:

      When an event such as this occurs, call 911 first, and explain things to the listserv second.  The listserv is a great way to gather and disseminate information, but sometimes neighbors post messages to the listserv but forget to call 911 to alert us, and without that call, we may be unaware of the activity.

      Thank you.

      Andy Solberg

      Commander, 5D

      www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

    • Carol Carter Walker
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013

        Thanks for your prompt response.  However, it raises more questions:  What do you mean by "If we can"?  Do you just leave the youth in the street?  Why wouldn't the police escort them to the station to await their parents picking them up?  That would, hopefully, be somewhat of a dissuader from future mischief.  Just letting them go doesn't seem to be at all productive.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013

          According to my report, the girl we arrested was positively identified at the scene, and that is how we make arrests.  It is not surprising to me when suspects deny involvement.

          Andy Solberg

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
            Should I say, nor were they anywhere near the incident, says the girl(s).

            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
              Ok but it is surprising to me that she was charged at Juvenile detention before due process.

              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              From: "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
              Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 17:38:25 -0400
              To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com<MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 26, 2013
                To paraphrase the Princess Bride, I do not think due process means what you think it means.

                Getting charged with a crime is one step in due process, not an alternative to it.

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Leemah" <saleem9@...> wrote:

                > Ok but it is surprising to me that she was charged at Juvenile detention before due process.
                >

                > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              • Wendy Lewis
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 27, 2013
                  Really!?