Fw: Chaotic Central Union Mission Event

  • khenderson029
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013

      From: khenderson029@...
      Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 17:28:25
      To: <mpd-5d@yahoogroups.com>; <crm_112@...>
      Subject: Chaotic Central Union Mission Event

      Good Afternoon:

      I received several phone calls from neighbors complaining about an apparent food giveaway on 17th Street and Maryland Ave. I understand MPD is helping to coordinate this event. People in vehicles with Maryland tags and people shopping at Safeway are running across the street to load boxes of free food into cars.

      Who is responsible for this chaotic event? One of my neighbors complained that someone robbed the Patsy Hartsfield Center of a flat screen television, computer and other property. He wanted to know why officers are being diverted from patrolling our community to coordinate this event. Who identified this community for this activity? It appears the event is not focused to serve people that actually reside in the ANC 5D community.

      Is Central Union Mission randomly selecting communities for food giveaways? We need more police presence in the 19th Street and Benning Road area, the 800 block of 18th Street and at the Starburst Plaza that has been commandeered by aggressive persons that appear to be on drugs. We appreciate the work our officers do to make this community safe; we do not want any additional seemingly chaotic events that drain our police resources. I appreciate and look forward to a response regarding this matter.

      Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
        I have no knowledge of this event, and as far as I am aware it has no connection to MPD, but we'll check.

        www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.
        Sent on the Sprint(r) Now Network from my BlackBerry(r)

[...]

      • Jeter, Bryant (MPD)
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
          Ms. Henderson,
          I do not know who was actually coordinating this event, however, PSA 507 members were merely giving special attention because of the amount of people responding. The special attention did not interfere with their normal patrols because that is an area we frequently patrol on a regular basis.

          Bryant A. Jeter
          Lieutenant
          Metropolitan Police Department
          Fifth District
          1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
          Washington, D.C. 20002
          Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
          Office: 202-698-0276
          Cell: 202-615-7109
          email: bryant.jeter@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
            Thank you Lt. Jeter for your reply. David Treadwell, the Executive Director for the Central Union Mission stated his staff coordinated the event with Jon Mandel in Councilmember McDuffie's office and Fifth District Outreach Coordinator Fayette Vaughn-Lee. Both parties dispute their involvement as coordinators. In any event, our community does not wish to be burdened by a chaotic event that does not address our needs. We were not informed about the event and our residents were not targeted for the food giveaway. Again, residents with Maryland tags and others already shopping at Safeway were running across the street loading boxes of free food into their cars. I received several calls and video texts from irritated neighbors.

            In the future, I expect reasonable advance notification to allow me to inform my fellow 5D commissioners and to notify residents here that will benefit from receiving free food; feed Ward 5 residents first before giving away resources to Maryland residents et al. We appreciate 5D officers providing special attention to help minimize the chaos; however, we support utilizing our police resources to protect our public safety needs. The paradigm in this community is shifting toward greater public safety, underscoring peace, quiet, order and cleanliness. We do not want or need hectic and disorganized events such as this or people selling sofas from North Carolina on the sidewalk ( a once yearly tradition we no longer tolerate).

            Thank you for your attention to and cooperation regarding this matter.

            Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
            khenderson029@...

            I do not know who was actually coordinating this event, however, PSA 507 members were merely giving special attention because of the amount of people responding. The special attention did not interfere with their normal patrols because that is an area we frequently patrol on a regular basis.

            Bryant A. Jeter
            Lieutenant
            Metropolitan Police Department
            Fifth District
            1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
            Washington, D.C. 20002
            Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
            Office: 202-698-0276
            Cell: 202-615-7109
            email: bryant.jeter@...

            www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.
          • 5D Community Outreach Coordinator
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
              "Nearly one in three children living in Washington, D.C. (30.4 percent) is considered impoverished. In fact, the number of children living in poverty in Washington, D.C. (30,555) could fill the Verizon Center one and a half times"

              As an MPD employee, I attend a lot of outreach activities weekly. This was not an MPD event; even so, I would never minimize my involvement in any community-based activity and, especially with this event, as it served 800 pre-identified WDC families, with nearly 400 of them living just in the Carver/Langston and Ivy City Communities- many who live well below the poverty line. They were given the tickets by the D.C. service centers that provide services for low-income families, where they go to receive support in obtaining food, clothing, and/or money management counseling. Along with the food items, the participants were provided information on summer camps, clothing centers and other services for low income families.

              Thank you for allowing me to address this concern; in the future, if I am aware of this type of event, I will encourage the organizers to produce and distribute flyers.

              Fayette Vaughn-Lee
              MPD Community Outreach