RE: [MPD-5D] Visitor Parking on a Non-Parking Permit Block

  • Twine, Kevin (DPW)
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
      Unless I'm mistaken, you need a ROSA exemption as opposed to a reciprocity sticker.

      Kevin B. Twine
      Staff Assistant
      Office Of The Director
      Department of Public Works
      2000 14th Street, NW
      6th Floor
      Washington, DC 20009
      Phone: 202-671-2593
      DPW Main: 202-673-6833
      Fax: 202-671-0642
      Kevin.Twine@...

      www.dpw.dc.gov
      VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!
      Follow us on Twitter

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
        Yes, thank you Mr. Twine, you are correct,

        Both ROSA and reciprocity stickers will exempt you from getting ticketed for having out-of-state vehicles parked over night for extended periods. (...and I think the two programs used to be combined under reciprocity stickers?)

        ROSA is for "recurring visitors (frequent short term visits)."

        Reciprocity stickers are for certain exempt citizens (college students, congressional staff, etc.).

        ...as I understand it.

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 19, 2013

          I understand this is an old thread, but I have a new question regarding parking rules and enforcement. I am a VA resident with car registered there, but applied for and recieved a ROSA exemption several months ago. In the past two weeks I have been ticketed twice for No Permit Displayed when in fact, I have a ROSA exemption with the District.

          I am carefully parking between two Zone 5 Permit Parking areas specifically to avoid being ticketed, and am still recieving tickets. When I completed and was approved for ROSA exemption, it was my understanding that I would not be ticketed as an out-of-District visitor for parking overnight, particularly outside of Zoned Permit areas. I feel like my vehicle is consistenly targeted by parking enforcement officials because it is the only on the 2000 block of 13th St. NE with out-of-District license plates.

          I have attempted to follow all of the rules and regulations applying to visitors in the District. Any advice or assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 19, 2013
            Mr. Krause,

            Without knowing the specifics of your particular case, and with the disclaimer that I am not the final arbiter of parking disputes, if you have a ROSA exemption and are parking in an un-zoned block, you should be ok.

            However. Tickets for ROSA violations are usually "Failure to Secure DC Tags." "No Permit Displayed" sounds like a Residential Parking Permit (RPP) violation. I couldn't find a 2000 block of 13th Pl. NE, but the 2200 block is signed for RPP. As far as I'm aware, RPP always affects the entire block.  If there are issues with the signage being unclear, your best bet is probably to open a ticket with Mayor's Command by dialing 311, or at 311 Online at 311.dc.gov.

            I'm fairly sure your ticket was not issued by MPD, but regardless of who issued it, you'll need to contact DMV for a resolution - instructions should be on the back of your ticket. Adjudication Services are available at 301 C St. NW (Judiciary Square), ph: (202) 737-4404.

            Good Luck,

            Join with hundreds of others to help create an Age-Friendly city on Saturday, September 21 from 9:30 - 11:30 am at the Age-Friendly DC Forum at The Howard Theatre, 620 T Street, NW. Visit http://dcoa.dc.gov/page/age-friendly-dc-forum for more info.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 20, 2013

                I don’t think it is the MPD ticketing you.  Check to see if your tickets are being issued by the DPW, and you may need to confer with them.

                Andy Solberg

                Commander, 5D

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 20, 2013

                    Robert:

                    If you can send me the ticket/your contact info, I’d be happy to look into this further.

                    Regards,

                    Kevin

                    Kevin B. Twine

                    Staff Assistant