Re: Re: [MPD-5D] Visitor Parking on a Non-Parking Permit Block

  • Sabrina Hill
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
      While I understand that out-of-towners can apply for the exemption and stay in the District basically for free, this is why they are punishing  the residents who are actually living in the District following the rules/procedures and paying the appropriate fees because they can't get it from the ones who are here and not contributing.

      Nothing personal but EVERYONE who lives in the District regardless of the length of time should have to pay the required fees for registering their car.Sabrina
    • Kimberly Niono
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
        Or you can get a parking permit from the police department. You will need your ID and his car registration.

        Sent from Kimberly's iPad

        On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Matt Ashburn <matt@...> wrote:

        Kelly-

        Your boyfriend needs to apply for ROSA exemption- basically, provide DMV evidence he lives outside of DC and DMV will register it as exempt. It's a pretty easy process, and it can be done via mail.

        Matt

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:33, Kelly Ormsby <kelly.ormsby@...> wrote:

        I live on a non-parking permit block and I've been having trouble with my boyfriend's car getting ticketed (twice this week - and it's only Tuesday) for not being registered in the city or not having a reciprocity permit.

        The trouble with this is, he doesn't live in the city, and he isn't a temporary resident, student, or diplomat, so he isn't eligible (unless I've read it wrong) for a reciprocity permit. I would request a visitor pass from the city, but those can only be requested if you live on a permitted block. My block is all renters - most without cars - so there's little interest in the block becoming permitted. The visitor passes from MPD are only good for 15 days and can only be renewed every 30, so they don't do me any good.
        Is there any way I can stop the ticketing? I'd hate to move out of the city because of this, but it's becoming my only option. I can't afford to keep paying these tickets at $100 a pop, and adjudication just ignores us when we try that route.

        Thanks in advance!

        -K

      • Dorrough, Jonathan (MPD)
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
          The visitor parking permits issued at police stations will not exempt from the ROSA requirements.

          Visitor parking permits permit parking beyond the two-hour time limit which exists on most regulated blocks in DC.

          Reciprocity or ROSA (registration of out-of-state vehicles) will effect non-resident vehicles observed parked over night several times over a period that exceeds 30 days.
          To get an exemption from that, you do need to apply for a reciprocity sticker, as the previous poster mentioned.

          Sergeant Jon Dorrough
          Metropolitan Police Department
          Washington, D.C.
          Fifth District

          www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

          On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Matt Ashburn <matt@...<mailto:matt@...>> wrote:

          Kelly-

          Your boyfriend needs to apply for ROSA exemption- basically, provide DMV evidence he lives outside of DC and DMV will register it as exempt. It's a pretty easy process, and it can be done via mail.

          Here's the info: http://dmv.dc.gov/service/registration-out-state-automobiles-rosa

          Matt

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Twine, Kevin (DPW)
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013

            Please remember visitor’s permits are only good for RPP regs which means you should, indeed, get a ROSA exemption.

            Kevin B. Twine

            Staff Assistant

            Office Of The Director

            Department of Public Works

            2000 14th Street, NW

            6th Floor

            Washington, DC 20009

            Phone: 202-671-2593

            DPW Main: 202-673-6833

            Fax: 202-671-0642

            Kevin.Twine@...

            www.dpw.dc.gov

            Visit us on Facebook!

            Follow us on Twitter

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
              Unless I'm mistaken, you need a ROSA exemption as opposed to a reciprocity sticker.

              Kevin B. Twine
              Staff Assistant
              Office Of The Director
              Department of Public Works
              2000 14th Street, NW
              6th Floor
              Washington, DC 20009
              Phone: 202-671-2593
              DPW Main: 202-673-6833
              Fax: 202-671-0642
              Kevin.Twine@...

              www.dpw.dc.gov
              VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!
              Follow us on Twitter

              For more information, contact the OTR Customer Service Center at (202) 727-4TAX or visit www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
                Yes, thank you Mr. Twine, you are correct,

                Both ROSA and reciprocity stickers will exempt you from getting ticketed for having out-of-state vehicles parked over night for extended periods. (...and I think the two programs used to be combined under reciprocity stickers?)

                ROSA is for "recurring visitors (frequent short term visits)."

                Reciprocity stickers are for certain exempt citizens (college students, congressional staff, etc.).

                ...as I understand it.

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 19, 2013

                  I understand this is an old thread, but I have a new question regarding parking rules and enforcement. I am a VA resident with car registered there, but applied for and recieved a ROSA exemption several months ago. In the past two weeks I have been ticketed twice for No Permit Displayed when in fact, I have a ROSA exemption with the District.

                  I am carefully parking between two Zone 5 Permit Parking areas specifically to avoid being ticketed, and am still recieving tickets. When I completed and was approved for ROSA exemption, it was my understanding that I would not be ticketed as an out-of-District visitor for parking overnight, particularly outside of Zoned Permit areas. I feel like my vehicle is consistenly targeted by parking enforcement officials because it is the only on the 2000 block of 13th St. NE with out-of-District license plates.

                  I have attempted to follow all of the rules and regulations applying to visitors in the District. Any advice or assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 19, 2013
                    Mr. Krause,

                    Without knowing the specifics of your particular case, and with the disclaimer that I am not the final arbiter of parking disputes, if you have a ROSA exemption and are parking in an un-zoned block, you should be ok.

                    However. Tickets for ROSA violations are usually "Failure to Secure DC Tags." "No Permit Displayed" sounds like a Residential Parking Permit (RPP) violation. I couldn't find a 2000 block of 13th Pl. NE, but the 2200 block is signed for RPP. As far as I'm aware, RPP always affects the entire block.  If there are issues with the signage being unclear, your best bet is probably to open a ticket with Mayor's Command by dialing 311, or at 311 Online at 311.dc.gov.

                    I'm fairly sure your ticket was not issued by MPD, but regardless of who issued it, you'll need to contact DMV for a resolution - instructions should be on the back of your ticket. Adjudication Services are available at 301 C St. NW (Judiciary Square), ph: (202) 737-4404.

                    Good Luck,

                    Join with hundreds of others to help create an Age-Friendly city on Saturday, September 21 from 9:30 - 11:30 am at the Age-Friendly DC Forum at The Howard Theatre, 620 T Street, NW. Visit http://dcoa.dc.gov/page/age-friendly-dc-forum for more info.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 20, 2013

                        I don’t think it is the MPD ticketing you.  Check to see if your tickets are being issued by the DPW, and you may need to confer with them.

                        Andy Solberg

                        Commander, 5D

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 20, 2013

                            Robert:

                            If you can send me the ticket/your contact info, I’d be happy to look into this further.

                            Regards,

                            Kevin

                            Kevin B. Twine

                            Staff Assistant