RE: [MPD-5D] Visitor Parking on a Non-Parking Permit Block

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
      Cars that park in DC for any significant period of time need to be registered in DC.  So, if your boyfriend's car is registered elsewhere, but it is clearly often parked in DC, it (you) will continue to be ticketed.

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
        Kelly,

        I have also had this issue...it is quite frustrating as the blocks around me can get permits but because my block doesn't do it I cannot, which means none of my guests can...and therefore it means that my guests get ticketed if they come to see me too frequently...which I  still trying to figure out how someone judges frequency.

        Like u, most of my block is renters, there is no chance oft street changing.  Therefore I would also be interested in finding a solution to what you described.

        Julia

        --
        Our life is what our thoughts make it - Marcus Aurelius
      • Erica Anderson
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
          There are 2 entire blocks of non zoned non marked blocks on the unit block of 17th street NE. They are filled daily with out of state cars and contractors they are never, ever ticketed.

          Maybe you can park there?

          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

        • Matt Ashburn
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
            Kelly-

            Your boyfriend needs to apply for ROSA exemption- basically, provide DMV evidence he lives outside of DC and DMV will register it as exempt. It's a pretty easy process, and it can be done via mail.

            Matt

            Sent from my iPhone

[...]

          • Sabrina Hill
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
              While I understand that out-of-towners can apply for the exemption and stay in the District basically for free, this is why they are punishing  the residents who are actually living in the District following the rules/procedures and paying the appropriate fees because they can't get it from the ones who are here and not contributing.

              Nothing personal but EVERYONE who lives in the District regardless of the length of time should have to pay the required fees for registering their car.Sabrina
            • Kimberly Niono
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
                Or you can get a parking permit from the police department. You will need your ID and his car registration.

                Sent from Kimberly's iPad

[...]

              • Dorrough, Jonathan (MPD)
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
                  The visitor parking permits issued at police stations will not exempt from the ROSA requirements.

                  Visitor parking permits permit parking beyond the two-hour time limit which exists on most regulated blocks in DC.

                  Reciprocity or ROSA (registration of out-of-state vehicles) will effect non-resident vehicles observed parked over night several times over a period that exceeds 30 days.
                  To get an exemption from that, you do need to apply for a reciprocity sticker, as the previous poster mentioned.

                  Sergeant Jon Dorrough
                  Metropolitan Police Department
                  Washington, D.C.
                  Fifth District

                  On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Matt Ashburn <matt@...<mailto:matt@...>> wrote:

                  Kelly-

                  Your boyfriend needs to apply for ROSA exemption- basically, provide DMV evidence he lives outside of DC and DMV will register it as exempt. It's a pretty easy process, and it can be done via mail.

                  Here's the info: http://dmv.dc.gov/service/registration-out-state-automobiles-rosa

                  Matt

                  Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                • Twine, Kevin (DPW)
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013

                    Please remember visitor’s permits are only good for RPP regs which means you should, indeed, get a ROSA exemption.

                    Kevin B. Twine

                    Staff Assistant

                    Office Of The Director

                    Department of Public Works

                    2000 14th Street, NW

                    6th Floor

                    Washington, DC 20009

                    Phone: 202-671-2593

                    DPW Main: 202-673-6833

                    Fax: 202-671-0642

                    Kevin.Twine@...

                    www.dpw.dc.gov

                    Visit us on Facebook!

                    Follow us on Twitter

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
                      Unless I'm mistaken, you need a ROSA exemption as opposed to a reciprocity sticker.

                      Kevin B. Twine
                      Staff Assistant
                      Office Of The Director
                      Department of Public Works
                      2000 14th Street, NW
                      6th Floor
                      Washington, DC 20009
                      Phone: 202-671-2593
                      DPW Main: 202-673-6833
                      Fax: 202-671-0642
                      Kevin.Twine@...

                      www.dpw.dc.gov
                      VISIT US ON FACEBOOK!
                      Follow us on Twitter

                      For more information, contact the OTR Customer Service Center at (202) 727-4TAX or visit www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 20, 2013
                        Yes, thank you Mr. Twine, you are correct,

                        Both ROSA and reciprocity stickers will exempt you from getting ticketed for having out-of-state vehicles parked over night for extended periods. (...and I think the two programs used to be combined under reciprocity stickers?)

                        ROSA is for "recurring visitors (frequent short term visits)."

                        Reciprocity stickers are for certain exempt citizens (college students, congressional staff, etc.).

                        ...as I understand it.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 19, 2013

                          I understand this is an old thread, but I have a new question regarding parking rules and enforcement. I am a VA resident with car registered there, but applied for and recieved a ROSA exemption several months ago. In the past two weeks I have been ticketed twice for No Permit Displayed when in fact, I have a ROSA exemption with the District.

                          I am carefully parking between two Zone 5 Permit Parking areas specifically to avoid being ticketed, and am still recieving tickets. When I completed and was approved for ROSA exemption, it was my understanding that I would not be ticketed as an out-of-District visitor for parking overnight, particularly outside of Zoned Permit areas. I feel like my vehicle is consistenly targeted by parking enforcement officials because it is the only on the 2000 block of 13th St. NE with out-of-District license plates.

                          I have attempted to follow all of the rules and regulations applying to visitors in the District. Any advice or assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 19, 2013
                            Mr. Krause,

                            Without knowing the specifics of your particular case, and with the disclaimer that I am not the final arbiter of parking disputes, if you have a ROSA exemption and are parking in an un-zoned block, you should be ok.

                            However. Tickets for ROSA violations are usually "Failure to Secure DC Tags." "No Permit Displayed" sounds like a Residential Parking Permit (RPP) violation. I couldn't find a 2000 block of 13th Pl. NE, but the 2200 block is signed for RPP. As far as I'm aware, RPP always affects the entire block.  If there are issues with the signage being unclear, your best bet is probably to open a ticket with Mayor's Command by dialing 311, or at 311 Online at 311.dc.gov.

                            I'm fairly sure your ticket was not issued by MPD, but regardless of who issued it, you'll need to contact DMV for a resolution - instructions should be on the back of your ticket. Adjudication Services are available at 301 C St. NW (Judiciary Square), ph: (202) 737-4404.

                            Good Luck,

                            Join with hundreds of others to help create an Age-Friendly city on Saturday, September 21 from 9:30 - 11:30 am at the Age-Friendly DC Forum at The Howard Theatre, 620 T Street, NW. Visit http://dcoa.dc.gov/page/age-friendly-dc-forum for more info.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 20, 2013

                                I don’t think it is the MPD ticketing you.  Check to see if your tickets are being issued by the DPW, and you may need to confer with them.

                                Andy Solberg

                                Commander, 5D

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 20, 2013

                                    Robert:

                                    If you can send me the ticket/your contact info, I’d be happy to look into this further.

                                    Regards,

                                    Kevin

                                    Kevin B. Twine

                                    Staff Assistant