Fifth District Detectives Announce Significant Multiple Burglary Case Closure

  • policefsu13
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
      The Fifth Police District Command Staff, under the leadership and direction of Commander Solberg, wish to again share with you another example of the hard work, dedication and effort put forth by our Officers and Detectives protecting and serving you, our community.

      The Fifth District Detectives Unit under the direction of Lieutenant John Haines announced last night that the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia had just finalized a binding plea agreement with one of the City's most prolific Burglars. This successful plea agreement is based on the hard work and relentless follow up efforts of Fifth District Detective Grade II Thomas J. Stein Jr.

      This significant arrest and guilty plea stems from an investigation by Fifth Police District Patrol and Detectives Unit relating to a series of breaking and entering incidents which were reported to the Metropolitan Police Department beginning in early 2010.

      These breaking and entering incidents involved residential dwellings only and no commercial stores or businesses were targeted or entered to the best of our knowledge at this time. The suspect broke and entered residences both occupied or unoccupied with the intent to steal valuables which were later sold. No weapons were used and there were no reported injuries from those in our community that were at home when these offenses occurred.

      Fifth District Detective Stein takes a keen interest in property crimes and his experience led him to see a pattern in these Burglaries. Following his hunch, Detective Stein began linking the cases and patterns he observed.

      Since the first pattern emerged in 2010, Detective Stein painstakingly detailed all aspects of these break ins and his cases grew exponentially with a major break in the case in October 2012. In October, 2012 during a Break in, a vehicle was taken from one of our victims. Responding Patrol Officers were provided a lookout for that stolen vehicle and Officers in the field observed that vehicle and successfully took one adult male into custody as a result of driving this stolen vehicle. A Search of that suspect and stolen vehicle revealed a number of personal possessions which had been taken in five (5) separate Burglaries that day alone. Fifth District Detectives were able to track stolen property in the vehicle back to those five offenses and finger prints were taken and became proof positive that the arrested suspect was in fact involved in those Burglaries.

      Armed with his analysis and now an arrest, Detective Stein began working with prosecutors from the United States Attorney's Office in charging the arrested individual with multiple counts of Burglary. Based upon the detailed work of Detective Stein, the suspect in these cases decided that the evidence was overwhelming and pled guilty.

      The following cases have been closed based upon the relentless follow up of Detective Stein of the Fifth Police District Detective's Unit:

      Burglary 100 block of U Street NE

      Burglary 2000 block of 2nd Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 1st Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of Douglas Street NE

      Burglary 100 block of Todd Pl NE

      Burglary 100 block of R Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 2nd Street NE

      Burglary 1200 block of Oates Street NE

      Burglary 200 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 2nd Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 3rd Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 3rd Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 3rd Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 2nd Street NE

      Burglary 2300 block of 3rd Street NE

      Burglary Unit block of T Street NE

      Burglary Unit block of Todd Pl NE

      Burglary Unit block of T Street NE

      Burglary 200 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 100 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 3rd Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of 3rd Street NE

      Burglary 2400 block of 2nd Street NE

      Burglary 100 block of Uhland street NE

      Burglary Unit block of S Street NE

      Burglary 2000 block of 3rd Street NE

      Burglary Unit block of Rhode Island Ave NE

      Burglary 100 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of V Street NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 4th Street NE

      Burglary 300 block of Todd Pl NE

      Burglary 100 block of Todd Pl NE

      Burglary 1900 block of 2nd Street NE

      Burglary 100 block of T Street NE

      Burglary Unit block of Todd Pl NE

      Burglary 2100 block of V Street NE

      Burglary Unit block of Todd Pl NE

      Many people believe that "property" crimes are not "people" crimes. Victims know better.

      Most victims with whom we work tell us they are angry and upset that someone entered their home and took their valuables. Reporting and replacing stolen items is a bother and an inconvenience. When those articles are irreplaceable, our feelings can be identical to those we experience whenever we lose something or someone very dear to us.

      It is normal to feel upset after your home has been broken into. Someone has entered your private space; a place that you reserve for those invited. The experience can be intimidating and the fact that there is often no direct recourse is an additional irritant. There is a sense in which the security, once enjoyed, is now compromised. It is not uncommon to feel somewhat uneasy.

      Some victims also feel sad and lonely because they have lost valuables which are part of their family's history or that link them to dear friends or loved ones. They see this as an act that separates them from their intimate and personal connections with others. This is a normal reaction to the circumstance.

      We feel your pain and we here at the Fifth Police District take these cases very seriously. The hard work and relentless follow demonstrated by dedicated professionals like Detective Grade II Thomas J. Stein Jr. reinforces that commitment to excellence and our commitment to serving you.
    • Carole Jacobs
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
        Worthy of a high-concept police procedural production.  Kudos to all involved, especially Det. Stein.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
          Great work team! We look forward to receiving similar news regarding the rash of robberies, including armed robberies in PSA 507. We are particularly eager to hear any news regarding leads and pending arrest(s) in the double homicide on Bladensburg Road, NE. Thank you again for the great news!

          Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05
          khenderson029@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
            Thank you officers for your hard work. If we were burglary victims in that vicinity and during that time period and are not on the list, are there additional items or cases you are working to close? We're frustrated that our burglary report never even had a phone call follow up from the officers.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013

              I will make sure Lt. Haines has a detective follow up with you.

              Andy Solberg

              Commander, 5D

              www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

> [...]

              > Some victims also feel sad and lonely because they have lost valuables which are part of their family's history or that link them to dear friends or loved ones. They see this as an act that separates them from their intimate and personal connections with others. This is a normal reaction to the circumstance.
              >
              > We feel your pain and we here at the Fifth Police District take these cases very seriously. The hard work and relentless follow demonstrated by dedicated professionals like Detective Grade II Thomas J. Stein Jr. reinforces that commitment to excellence and our commitment to serving you.

            • Mr. Keith Jarrell
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
                Most impressive list. Lt. John Haines is first class. I amvstill trying to
                figure out how 5D TOOK HIM AWAY FROM US!
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013

                  I checked with the detectives working this case, and unfortunately we have no news to report on the double homicide from December 22, 2012.