Re: [MPD-5D] Saturday's Marathon Traffic Nightmare

  • Vonetta Dumas
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 18, 2013
      Agreed, thanks for recognizing this was a nightmare. It took me a 1 1/2 half to get to work. Fortunately, I was about to park on 14th and catch Metro. I had to carry a heavy load of towels on the metro along w/ helping my mother who was with me who does not do well w/ long walks. This was 1 1/2 hour from Trinidad and stopping at 14th. Goodness knows how long it would if taken had I had to go all the way to Massachusetts/ 16th like I was advised by officer than seemed to feel helpless.

      I for 1 applaud marathoners and all those participants it was an amazing adventure I'm sure and have heard. Typically, I'm not a complainer I make the best out if uncontrollable situations. So we had many laughs out our adventure in our routes to our destinations.

      On the other hand as a business owner it was very disturbing not to have better detail to inform my guest in advance. We had loss of revenue from cancelled guest and time schedules was completely off track. We pride ourselves in taking guest on time. Thankfully, a team member made t via metro to ensure the VA guest who were able to be serviced in many of our absence.

      Other members of my team were routed from Fort Totten all the way to Woodley Park down through Adams Morgan... Their were no alternative to making a left turn.

      Please don't allow this to ever happen this way again, in events likes these better planning of disseminating information would of been helpful. I could of planned a better route earlier and pre-warned our guest.

      Thanks,
      Vonetta Dumas, 5D02

      Please excuse any misspellings/ odd words. My iPhone thinks it is smarter than I am.

      On Mar 18, 2013, at 6:52 PM, "5D Community Outreach Coordinator" <Fayette.Vaughn-Lee@...> wrote:

      > 5D Community,
      >
      > The event organizers go through a process to have an event of this magnitude approved and permitted. The organizers are required to go before the mayors special events task force. This task force consist of several agencies across the District government, DDOT , DCFEMS and MPD to name a few. The body addresses many different issues and tries to ensure as little impact an event of this size causes to the community and city as a whole. This year we were able to route more of the course through the park vs on city streets. There are many events that are not approved, DDOT analyses the traffic and pedestrian flows throughout the city and weighs in heavily during the approval process. We will ensure that detour routes are more widely disseminated for an event of this size in the future, thanks for bringing this to our attention.
      >
      > MPD

    • Toni
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 19, 2013
        Another option is to start the event at a time that would be least impact foul to residents--the route must be posted by link in order to help us both stay out of the way and navigate without this ridiculous level of frustration. Thanks goodness my son was content with his iPad but we were not aware he'd be plugged in so long! A 15 minute commute took an hour. Not good!

        Sent from my iPhone
      • studermw
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 25, 2013
          I wanted to thank everyone for sending in their personal experiences. It's never good that we all had to go through it, but it's good knowing I'm not the only one who feels this way and had problems.

          I'd like to see if we can keep this momentum going to and do something about the problem. I spoke with Jeanette Mobley in Councilmember McDuffie's office and she said that the entity responsible for approving and planning these events is the Mayor's interagency Special Events Task Group (http://hsema.dc.gov/service/special-events). There are a couple of links there to "Ask the Director", but in my experience these links don't get much response.

          I'd suggest that, in addition to leaving this Task Group feedback, we should all get in touch with Councilmember McDuffie's office and the Mayor's office... as well as the campaign offices of certain mayoral candidates. I've posted a couple links below.

          Councilmember McDuffie's office - kmcduffie@..., JMobley@... (Jeanette Mobley, his Chief of Staff - please be nice... Jeanette has been wonderful!)

          Mayor's Office - email: eom@..., Twitter: @mayorvincegray

          Muriel Bowser - mbowser@..., jholland@... (Chief of Staff)

          Remember... they don't know we want a change unless we tell them!

          Matt

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, svhill3 <svhill3@...> wrote:

          > This is sad to hear. I too didnt have a good experience being a single parent and in grad school full time and only having the weekend to take care alot of stuff. This really screwed up things for me that impacted my studies.
          >

          > Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

        • Jerry A
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 25, 2013
            DC is a very active city and living/working in it means you have to take the good with the bad. One bad topic being harped on is traffic and street closures.  For those who's time is precious to them and can't afford to waste it when the city shuts down for any and all events the below listed website shall be your savior for future traffic issues and street closures.

            if you register and log in, it will give you a large array of choices, options, and areas to have alerts sent to you before they happen. Weather, crime, emergency, street closures and i think even utility outages are even listed on there. Ive always been a fan of the saying "know before you go." 103.5 WTOP on every 10 minutes on the 8's has also been a good wealth of up to the minute traffic information, and is one to listen to as soon as I turn on my vehicle.

            Safe travels,
            Jerry A

            On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM, studermw <studermw@...> wrote:

            I'd like ask our local and city-wide MPD officers to address the absolutely outrageous traffic situation that occurred Saturday during the "Rock'n Roll Marathon". I received the traffic alerts like many people in the District, but really the alert should have said "don't bother to be on the road anywhere in DC on Saturday morning". I personally spent two hours trying to get from Shaw to Petworth at 11am on Saturday. Police along the route were friendly and sympathetic, but basically responded with shoulder-shrugs when asked what to do or how to get to where I was going. I ended up trying every possible route with no luck. The alert that went out did not provide enough information to try to avoid the traffic mess.

            I understand that DC is the nation's capitol city and that we have to expect a certain number of inconveniences due to protests, parades, motorcades, etc. But this type of event happens way too frequently in DC, and in my honest opinion should not be occurring through residential neighborhoods where there are limited options for local traffic. Do we need to start protesting with our councilmembers for a more rigorous approval process for marathons? I don't want to ruin anyone's fun, but this can't continue.

            I also know that MPD does not control whether or not marathons are approved or necessarily what the routes are. But I would like to hear from the MPD and community leaders on a few of the following issues…

            • Is there any analysis done on how major street closures will affect residential neighborhoods and traffic?
            • Are all requests for marathons approved, or does the community and MPD have input into whether or not an event will create too much of a burden on the local community?
            • Are there detour routes available when we have marathon events?

            Any input or discussion would be appreciated...

            Matt

          • Katherine Makris
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 26, 2013
              As someone who lives in this neighborhood, and has run this marathon three times now, AND as someone who works for an organization who does outdoor event permitting and works with the MSETG, MPD, and NPS, I would encourage you to be open minded in dealing with this situation.  I have been on every side of this race at this point and while I have definitely experienced being 100% shut in to my few block radius for a few hours, I have also experienced the joy of participating, as well as the hell of permitting. I also use alert dc and pay attention to the VMS boards and road closure signs which were placed throughout the city well in advance. Consider those who live in Anacostia who had THEIR streets shut down until 2pm.  We are lucky we are on the half marathon course and only had it bad for a few hours.
              Rather than barking up the tree of MPD and MSETG and trying desperately to have this event taken down, it would actually be most effective to get in touch with Competitor group, who runs these races, and offer them some constructive criticism of the route.  Don't just start complaining to every organization in town; event organizers actually REALLY value community feedback, good or bad.  I'm sure they would appreciate hearing of your concerns, as well as some ideas of better streets to route it on.
              Finally, to people who are complaining that these events happen ALL THE TIME...they do, on the national mall and park service territory.  Our neighborhood is shut down for a few hours ONE day per year for this race.  It is incredibly difficult to be creative in planning a safe, desirable 26.2 miles of running course through a city that gives you little mileage to work with. Be open to the fact that this race brings 30,000 people through our streets and many of these are out of towners bringing the city revenue.  I agree that there were traffic issues and as a runner on the course I know I certainly have suggestions for some re-routing...but let's all be part of the solution instead of trying to take down something that probably motivated a lot of our citizens to get out the door and get healthy.

              --

            • Julia Wilton
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 26, 2013
                Katherine - Extremely well said!  And I agree on all fronts.  Also congrats on running such a tough race.

                Julia

                On Tuesday, March 26, 2013, Katherine Makris wrote:

[...]

                Our life is what our thoughts make it - Marcus Aurelius
              • studermw
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 27, 2013
                  I'd like to be clear about what my complaint is concerning this and other marathons. I am certainly not opposed to marathons in general and staying fit. I am a runner myself and enjoy getting my exercise outside. I also applaud events that give their proceeds to charity and help the community in some way. I also have no quarrel with the event organizers themselves. They presented a plan to the city that they liked, and it was approved.

                  My frustration is with our representatives, most of which don't seem to have an issue like this on their radar screens. The big question I'd like answered is, why is it OK to block roads and intersections in our city for entertainment? I have received criticism for my view that the marathon should not have happened as permitted, most of who feel that I should just get over it and not to worry myself with such a trivial issue. To me, this is very serious. I do not believe that our DC government is appropriately considering important issues when handing out these permits.

                  One of the reasons I urged people to speak out to their representatives is because they probably think we're all OK with this. And, if that's the case, then by all means let them know that you're happy. But if you think something needs to change, you have to be vocal about it. Also, one of the reasons I urged people to speak with Councilman McDuffie's office is because he has been a great champion for our Ward. I did notice that this marathon did not cut across Georgetown, Cleveland Park, or some of the other more affluent neighborhoods in the city, and I am hoping that he will ask those questions of the committees that approve these requests. Anacostia, Columbia Heights, and Bloomingdale seem to have born the brunt of this marathon's traffic woes.

                  What I would REALLY like to see is a sensible marathon route, and our officials pushing back on anything else. I would like to see real detour routes for traffic, and more police knowledgeable about where traffic should redirect. I am not trying to "kill" this marathon, but rather am trying to get people to acknowledge that the situation can be improved.

                  Matt