Re: [MPD-5D] 1st and O St NW

    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 17, 2013
      All,

      We are aware of this situation.  I want everyone to understand that while we monitor this listserv, for best and most immediate response, you should call 911 to report any situation or incident that you feel needs immediate--or long-range--attention.

      We have been aware of the situation involving parking on the sidewalk here for several months, but it will help if neighbors call 911.

      By doing so, you give us the opportunity to respond while the incident is ongoing.  As we monitor the listserv, we may not be as able to address these types of situations as quickly as we could if you call 911.

      Also, for those who may not be aware, ALL police calls go through 911 now.  Non-emergency calls used to go to 311.  Now, all requests for police service go through this number.

      Thanks,

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 17, 2013, at 8:03 PM, "Eliza Auckerman" <eliza.auckerman@...> wrote:

      Julia,

      I understand your sentiments. They are working in our community and certainly do need a place to park. After seeing Commander Solberg's email yesterday, I was reluctant to call 911 myself because I don't want people to return to a towed car after working all day.

      However, when I see these cars pull up on the sidewalk to park snug against a No Trespassing sign while street parking without time restrictions is available, it really rubs me the wrong way.

      I have been nearly hit by a van pulling up through the accessibility ramp over the sidewalk where there is no curb cut. The surrounding area is filthy from the mud torn up by vehicles being parked on a surface not intended for parking. And yes, on a Saturday morning there is plenty of open parking all throughout the neighborhood.

      This lot has been a dumping ground and a napping/passing out place for years, and this is just the latest thing. I've been in touch with McDuffie's office for solutions, and the fence and signs from, I presume, the property owner are a great step, but it still looks like a blight to me.

      Any assistance MPD can offer would be greatly appreciated. Beyond that, any suggestions on what agency or agencies could assist would be wonderful as well.

      Eliza
      Unit Block O St NW

      Sent from my iPad

      On Mar 17, 2013, at 7:16 PM, Julia Wilton <julia.wilton@...> wrote:

      > I personally don't see the issue. They are construction workers who are working and need a place to park.
      >
      > I would much rather our officers concentrate on the dealers who are
      > working to recruit the neighborhood kids.
      >
      > On Sunday, March 17, 2013, crknightdc wrote:
      >
      > No I didn't. They were the Dunbar construction workers so I'm sure they will be back on Monday. It would be great if you could have the officers ticket them come tommorrow.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Robin
      >
      > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
      >> 'MPD-5D%40yahoogroups.com');>, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...>
      >> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Robin,
      >>>
      >>> Did you call 911 to report this?
      >>>
      >>> Andy Solberg
      >>> Commander, 5D
      >>>
      >>> Sent from my iPhone
      >>>
      >>> On Mar 16, 2013, at 9:17 AM, "crknightdc" <crknightdc@...<mailto:
      >> crknightdc@ <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'crknightdc@');>...>> wrote:
      >>>

      >>> I want to thank everyone that worked to get the empty lot at 1st and O
      >> St fenced off and the no trespassing signs put up. However, there are still
      >> people parking there (2 cars this morning). They are half on the sidewalk
      >> and half on the little strip of land on the other side of the fence.
      >>>
      >>> please address
      >>> Robin
      >>>

      >>> The DC Office of Tax and Revenue is offering free tax assistance in your
      >> community this month.
      >>> For more information, contact the OTR Customer Service Center at (202)
      >> 727-4TAX or visit
      >>> www.taxpayerservicecenter.com<http://www.taxpayerservicecenter.com>.
      >>>

      > --
      > Our life is what our thoughts make it - Marcus Aurelius

      www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.

    • crknightdc
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 19, 2014
        Hello
        There was a lot of police activity last night around 7:30pm at 1st and O St. About the same time my husband saw some one run out the back of a house on 1st st and jump over the fence and down the ally.

        Could you please provide some details.

        Thanks
        Robin
      • Dorrough, Jonathan (MPD)
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 19, 2014
          Robin,

          I've spoken to our PSA officers and checked our call logs, the only incident I can find around that time is an incident in which a subject had a medical emergency and was transported to the hospital. If you have additional details please contact me directly and please call 911 if you see suspicious behavior.

          Acting Lieutenant

          Jon Dorrough

          Metropolitan Police

          Washington, DC

          Fifth District

          Look out for the homeless this winter. When the actual or forecasted temperature or wind chill is 32 degrees F or below, the District issues a Hypothermia Alert. To request support for persons who are homeless and on the street now, contact the Shelter Hotline at 1-800-535-7252 or 311 or email uposh@....