Paddy Wagon at 19th & Benning NE

  • Patrick Nelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 22, 2005
      Does anyone know why the MPD Paddy Wagon has been sitting at that corner for a few days now?

      And could it stay there as it has decreased the loitering in our area??

      Patrick

      +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

      www.speedbumps.org
      www.capitolhillmassage.org
      AIM: aRodeoJock
      Yahoo: aRodeojock

    • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005
        The van has specifically been parked there as a visible deterrent as well as to allow the officer staffing it rapid response to events occurring in and around that area. I'm glad to hear that it is impacting the loitering in the area. Thanks for the feedback.

        Captain Patrick A. Burke
        Fifth District, MPDC
        Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

        Office: 202 727-4488
        Pager: 888 523-7099
        Does anyone know why the MPD Paddy Wagon has been sitting at that corner for a few days now?

        And could it stay there as it has decreased the loitering in our area??

        Patrick

        +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

        www.speedbumps.org
        www.capitolhillmassage.org
        AIM: aRodeoJock
        Yahoo: aRodeojock

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295ni487/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=1705059418:HM/EXP=1111647233/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

      • Burke, Patrick (MPD)

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005

            Patrick,

            I believe the wagon is there as a deterrent because the area is within a designated "hot spot". I'm glad to hear it is working.

            Kathy Henderson

            Does anyone know why the MPD Paddy Wagon has been sitting at that corner for a few days now?

            And could it stay there as it has decreased the loitering in our area??

            Patrick

            +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

            www.speedbumps.org
            www.capitolhillmassage.org
            AIM: aRodeoJock
            Yahoo: aRodeojock

          • Henderson, Kathy (EOM)
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005

              I'm glad it is obviously working.

              Does anyone know why the MPD Paddy Wagon has been sitting at that corner for a few days now?

              And could it stay there as it has decreased the loitering in our area??

              Patrick

              +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

              www.speedbumps.org
              www.capitolhillmassage.org
              AIM: aRodeoJock
              Yahoo: aRodeojock

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              click here

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Give the gift of life to a sick child.
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/lGEjbB/6WnJAA/E2hLAA/aRSolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Kimberly Niono
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005
                I would like to know if we can get the police to ride the alley behind 52 FL
                Ave, NW. We are experiencing a large increase of drug activity and
                prostitution in that alley. These people brazenly go back there without
                fear of getting caught. Also, I have been reporting a streetlight at that
                same address directly on Florida Avenue. At night, people use the abandoned
                property to use the bathroom and conduct other business. It is scary for me
                to walk home in the evening because I never know if someone is loitering in
                the English basement area.

                _____

                Does anyone know why the MPD Paddy Wagon has been sitting at that corner for
                a few days now?

                And could it stay there as it has decreased the loitering in our area??

                Patrick

                +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                www.speedbumps.org
                www.capitolhillmassage.org
                AIM: aRodeoJock
                Yahoo: aRodeojock

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1295ni487/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705059418:HM/EXP=1111647233/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
                etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Scott, Melvin (MPD)
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005
                  That address will be placed on special attention. Is there any other information that you can provide that may help us narrow down the problem? Is this an abandoned property?

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005
                    The property is abandoned. I have called the mayor's hotline, Councilman
                    Orange's office etc., to report the streetlight being out. I am told that
                    it is an electrical current problem. I have been trying to get this
                    streetlight repaired for over a year now. I have seen people go down to the
                    English basement section during the DAY so imagine what happens there at
                    night. It seems that the homeless folks know this property is abandoned.

                    The alley is a whole other problem. On Saturday, my son looked out his
                    bedroom window because he heard an argument and people were smoking crack.
                    It is a constant stream of folks going and coming in this alley. It is
                    rarely used as a thoroughfare by the public. However, those of us that live
                    on Florida Avenue would like to use the alley to bring in groceries etc. to
                    avoid being double-parked on Florida. However, we never know what is going
                    on back there and we try to avoid going back there because we don't see a
                    police presence.

                    We would be extremely grateful to see a police presence in that alley and on
                    Florida Avenue between 1st and North Capitol, NW. The presence on Florida
                    Avenue may also encourage drivers to stop for pedestrians in the crosswalk
                    as well!!

                    Thanks again!!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005
                      I would be very worried about the broken light fixture.  Someone might have been "casing" you, intending to rob or burglarize you (ie, if the light's out and you return home after dark, you wouldn't see them).

                      I would change or alternate my comings/goings, as well as the routes I take, just to be on the safe side.

                      Also, I'd try to have another person with me, if possible, to deter/thwart the criminal(s) plans.

                      Living in this area can make a person very paranoid.  I pray to my Guardian angel a lot too.

                      ~christina

                      >>> 25harway@... 3/22/2005 8:28:12 PM >>>

                      At some point today, someone walked up our back steps and ripped out
                      the light fixture by our back door. I noticed that it was fine this
                      morning when I left for work, but when my boyfriend got back from a
                      walk with the dog at 7:30 pm, he noticed that it was dangling from
                      its original place. He wasn't sure if it was okay when he got home
                      around 6:30, but he did notice a police car leaving the alley when
                      he got home. We wondered if there was a problem at that point (or
                      any point earlier in the day) in the alley. The alley in question is
                      the one behind the 2600 block of 10th St. and those infamous
                      apartments on the 2500 block.

                      -Sonya Harway
                      (10th and Douglas NE)

                    • Sonya Harway
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005
                        I am not terribly worried, since our alley is actually quite well
                        lit. There is a street light at the end of our driveway and our
                        neighbors all have working lights at the top of their back steps. I
                        am always careful to be aware of my surroundings when I get in and
                        out of the car, and I always flash my brights to look in our carport
                        when I get home after dark.

                        More than worried or frightened, I am just annoyed. My boyfriend
                        looked out on the row of houses last night to see if anyone else's
                        lights were vandalized, but it looks as though most of our neighbors
                        along the row have lights above the back door (instead of next to,
                        like ours), which puts theirs out of reach. I suppose this is just
                        some idiot's idea of what's funny.

                        -Sonya (10th and Douglas NE)

                        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Christina Zvir" <czvir@u...> wrote:
                        > I would be very worried about the broken light fixture. Someone
                        might
                        > have been "casing" you, intending to rob or burglarize you (ie, if
                        the
                        > light's out and you return home after dark, you wouldn't see them).
                        >
                        > I would change or alternate my comings/goings, as well as the
                        routes I
                        > take, just to be on the safe side.
                        >
                        > Also, I'd try to have another person with me, if possible, to
                        > deter/thwart the criminal(s) plans.
                        >
                        > Living in this area can make a person very paranoid. I pray to my
                        > Guardian angel a lot too.
                        >
                        > ~christina

                        > At some point today, someone walked up our back steps and ripped
                        out
                        > the light fixture by our back door. I noticed that it was fine
                        this
                        > morning when I left for work, but when my boyfriend got back from
                        > walk with the dog at 7:30 pm, he noticed that it was dangling from
                        > its original place. He wasn't sure if it was okay when he got home
                        > around 6:30, but he did notice a police car leaving the alley when
                        > he got home. We wondered if there was a problem at that point (or
                        > any point earlier in the day) in the alley. The alley in question
                        is
                        > the one behind the 2600 block of 10th St. and those infamous
                        > apartments on the 2500 block.
                        >
                        > -Sonya Harway
                        > (10th and Douglas NE)
                      • Patrick Nelson
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 23, 2005
                          Capt Burke-

                          Does it have anything to do with the designation of my block (1900 H St NE)
                          as a temporary Drug Free Zone a couple of weekends ago? I was pleased and
                          excited to see that. But wished it would have lasted a bit longer.

                          As a relatively new resident (I bought last August), I'd love to be able to
                          do more. I've tried to make the last few PSA meetings, but they have been
                          scheduled when they conflict with my plans...

                          Patrick.

[...]

                          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a6osr3/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=gr
                          oups/S=1705059418:HM/EXP=1111669273/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.
                          netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=
                          :HM/A=2593423/rand=424938215>

                          _____

                          Yahoo! Groups Links