Update on the Daily Crime Reports

  • Lanier, Cathy (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2013
      Thanks to everyone who has shared their feedback on the new crime reports.  Rest assured we are working to update the crime report so that it appears as close as possible to the past format.  The block-level address of the incident is one of those components.  I agree with those of you who have said the old block-number format is much more intuitive.  This change in the format apparently occurred when we integrated our records system with D.C. OCTO's Master Address Repository (MAR), which is the geocoding system used by most, if not all D.C. agencies to assign address locations to reports.  When assigning block-level address information to an incident, the MAR provides the location information by the intersections (the format you've seen in the new reports posted on the listserv) rather than the block number (100 block of Main St, for example).  The old system that we utilized to assign the block-number format to incidents had become unsustainable. We are, however, working to establish an efficient, sustainable, and accurate process by which we can provide the block-level address in the similar block-number format as we did in the past.  In the meantime, we did want to continue to provide you with the daily crime report information.  We will keep you updated as we work to resolve this formatting issue.  Thank you again.

      Cathy L. Lanier

      Visit
      www.Grade.DC.gov