Two Stories of Dedicated Cops In Service to Community

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
      Here are a couple of sad stories in today's news which illustrate one of the more tragic ways families and loved ones of our law enforcement officers serve and sacrifice for our communities, too. Stories such as these are among every law enforcement family's worst fears.

      Don and I extend our best wishes for the rapid recovery of the MPD officer injured t
      his week in this hateful, wanton attack. We are grateful to his service to our city, and that of his family and loved ones.

      As part-time Virginians as well, we extend our condolences to the family, friends and fellow State Troopers of Master Trooper Walker. We are profoundly grateful for his lifetime of service to the Commonwealth. We know law enforcement professionals throughout Virginia are in mourning today for their fallen brother.

      brian/
      504

      WASHINGTON POST

      Brother of hit-and-run suspect jailed for shooting D.C. officer, killing teen

      By Peter Hermann and Matt Zapotosky, Published: March 7

      Kevin Burno was 9 when his brother, convicted of murder and trying to kill a police officer, played the lead role in a jarring documentary about the District's violent streets.

      The cameras were rolling when the boy visited his older sibling at the notorious Lorton prison in Virginia, bragging with youthful swagger about his taut muscles and rapping whimsically about guns and drugs. He shrugged off his brother's admonishments to avoid a life behind bars: "You can never be me. You can be better than me."

      On Thursday, 15 years after that prison visit, Kevin Burno was in a D.C. courtroom facing charges that he intentionally ran his car into a police officer, who authorities said was badly injured on his motor scooter Tuesday evening when a white Lexus struck him in Southeast Washington.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/brother-of-hit-and-run-suspect-jailed-for-shooting-dc-officer-killing-teen/2013/03/07/dffc891e-872e-11e2-999e-5f8e0410cb9d_story.html?hpid=z3

      --

      WASHINGTON POST

      Police said they think Walker drove up to the sedan to check on the driver's welfare, Geller said. After the initial shooting, investigators said, Walker's patrol car lunged forward and stopped about 30 feet from the highway.
      Virginia state trooper is shot to death on Interstate 85 in Dinwiddie County
      By Clarence Williams, Published: March 7

      Master Trooper Junius Walker was a 35-year veteran of the Virginia State Police, a man known as a gentle giant who had patrolled roads around Dinwiddie County for nearly three decades. His final run was to check on an apparent disabled vehicle on Interstate 85 when a gunman opened fire on him.

      "He was a great man, not only in size but in personality and in character," Corinne Geller, a state police spokeswoman, said of Walker, who was 6-foot-4. "This is a very difficult time for our department. He's well known in this community, well loved."

      Walker, 63, was found fatally wounded in a marked patrol car parked in the woods off the right southbound lanes of I-85, near Mile Marker 45, about 1:20 p.m. The area is about 40 miles south of Richmond.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-state-trooper-is-shot-to-death-on-interstate-85-in-dinwiddie-county/2013/03/07/533ead3c-8791-11e2-98a3-b3db6b9ac586_story.html

      ###
    • khenderson029
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013
        I was deeply saddened to hear about these two incidents. While I can never support the death penalty, I believe enhanced penalties for harming any police officer are appropriate and clearly necessary. Individuals that intentionally harm police officers are an added danger to the community and must never be tolerated. I look forward to the day when these culprits are held accountable for the harm they have done.

        I wish our officer a complete and swift recovery and offer heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Jones; this is also a horrible loss to the community he served.

        Commissioner Kathy Henderson, 5D05

        From: "brian.ions" <brian.ions@...>
        Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:28:10 -0000
        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [MPD-5D] Two Stories of Dedicated Cops In Service to Community

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2013

          Thanks very much for your kind support, Commissioner Henderson.  I will make sure that your message is passed along to Cmdr. Robert Contee and all the members of the Sixth District family.

          Andy Solberg

          Commander, 5D

          Visit
          www.Grade.DC.gov