Re: Looking for answers to simple questions -- Festival Committee Meeting - Wednesday, Aug 30th at 7 PM

  • Heather Phipps
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2006
      Subject: CANCELLED: Festival Committee Meeting - Wednesday, Sept

      Hi All,

      Due to the BAWA reading and the Ward 5 Candidates Forum at the North Michigan Park Rec Center, please note that tonight's Brookland Festival Committee meeting is cancelled. We will hold the next meeting at the Brookland Visitors Center on Wednesday, Sept. 13th at 7 pm.

      Thanks,
      Heather Phipps

      Michael Gushue <mgushuedc@...> wrote:
      Heather: do you mean the gallery next to the visitor's center? We have a poetry reading at 7 in the visitor's center today (wednesday). It's the BAWA reading, first Wednesday of every month.

      Michael Gushue

      Jeff,

      No, I am not being paid to organize the Brookland Festival. I am a volunteer choosing to help with the Festival for the third year because I love Brookland and I am hoping to make the event fun for our community. The funds being raised for the festival will be used to support the permitting, equipment, stage, clean-up and other costs of the event. I am constructing a spreadsheet of all funds received and all costs of the event. If you would like to learn more about the economics of the festival, please feel free to attend the next Brookland Festival Committee meeting which will be held tomorrow night (Wednesday, Sept 6th) at 7:00 pm at the Brookland Visitors Center, 3420 9th Street NE.

      Thank you,
      Heather Phipps

      Jeffrey Wilson <jeffrey_Wilson@...> wrote:
      ** Low Priority **

      >>> Jeffrey Wilson 08/31/06 2:13 PM >>>
      Dear Heather Phipps / All,

      I could not attend this meeting because of a school event ( I am a teacher), but I have some questions. Are you being paid for your role in this community event? Is any one else being paid? How are you being paid? Specifically, where are the funds that are raised from this event going to go? As an individual who has worked on this event for a number of years in a voluntary capacity, I think it is essential that this information be put out to the community in a transparent fashion.

      Sincerely,
      Jeff Wilson

      >>> heathbleau@... 08/29/06 10:55 PM >>>
      Hello All,

      The Brookland CDC and I would like to invite all neighbors in the greater Brookland area to attend the next Festival Committee meeting at 7:00 pm this Wednesday, Aug 30th, at the Brookland Visitors Center, 3420 9th Street NE.

      The Brookland Festival and Parade will be taking place on Saturday, October 7th along 12th Street from Monroe to Otis and we could really use a group of volunteers to help organize and plan the event. So if you are interested in making the Brookland Festival a fantastic event this year, please join us this Wednesday evening.

      We could really use volunteers to help with the following event activities:
      * Contacting vendors, businesses, non-profits, community organizations, government agencies, schools, etc. to participate in the festival
      * Organizing the parade
      * Organizing childrens activities
      * Logistics; set up and break down of event
      * Developing banners and posters

      Thanks so much and hope to meet you soon,
      Heather Phipps
      Brookland Festival Committee Chair
      and Your Neighbor on 15th!