How to request a red light camera?

  • Elizabeth Lyttleton
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
      I cross North Capitol Street at R St every morning on foot, with children.
      I am not exaggerating when I say that almost every morning, I see drivers
      blow through the red light while driving northbound on North Cap.
      Southbound drivers also regularly try to pull through the light when there
      isn't space, blocking at least the crosswalk if not more. The situation is
      reversed every evening.

      I have personally witnessed a number of accidents at this intersection
      caused by folks driving WAY over the speed limit, and from my house on the
      Unit Block of R St NE have heard many many more.

      This morning, a driver gunned it about half a block south of the
      intersection heading northbound and blew through the red light at least a
      full second, if not two, after the light had changed.

      Thankfully, out of self preservation, I have taught my children that you
      always count to three after you get the walk signal when crossing here.

      I understand that this intersection is not in a high priority area like NY
      Ave or K St downtown, but people actually live and walk here. Drivers
      continue to treat North Cap like a highway when it is most certainly not.
      While there are major structural issues that have exacerbated this problem
      that are too big to address here (removal of Truxton Circle, RI Ave
      underpass), it would be extremely helpful to at least get a little
      Pavlovian on drivers and teach them, via the wallet-hit of a red light
      camera ticket, to slow down and quit running the traffic lights at R and
      North Capitol.

      That is a long winded way of asking this: how does one go about
      requesting, or pleading for as the case may be, a red light camera?

      Thanks,

      Elizabeth

      --
      Elizabeth
      eblyttleton@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013

        We have forwarded your request.

        In the meantime, we will have the patrol officers see what we can do about altering driver behavior here and elsewhere along North Capitol Street.

        Andy Solberg

        Commander, 5D

        Visit
        www.Grade.DC.gov

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013
          I agree with everything Elizabeth said. I walk along North Capitol everyday and drivers in both directions blow through red lights at the intersections with R Street and Randolph Place.

          And it's not like the light turns red when the vehichle is in the intersection - I regularly see the light turn red and then two or more vehicles still enter and go through the intersection. And most are definitely going well over the speed limit.

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" <Andrew.Solberg@...> wrote:

          > We have forwarded your request.
          >
          > In the meantime, we will have the patrol officers see what we can do about altering driver behavior here and elsewhere along North Capitol Street.
          >
          > Andy Solberg
          > Commander, 5D
          >

          > Grade.DC.gov has expanded again! Check out which five additional agencies can now be rated.
          > Visit www.Grade.DC.gov<http://www.grade.dc.gov/> today to log your feedback on any of 15 D.C. Government agencies.

        • Griffin, Randy (MPD)
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2013

            Got it.

            Visit www.Grade.DC.gov today to log your feedback on any of 15 D.C. Government agencies.

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
              I greatly appreciate the cruiser sitting at this intersection this morning - in the few minutes I was there it seemed to encourage drivers to slow down. I hope that MPD will continue to periodically make your presence known in the area. I also hope that a red light camera will be seriously considered!

              Sent from my iPhone, so please excuse typos.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013

                We’ll continue enforcement efforts, and we did forward your request along to the office which handles all red light camera installation.

                Visit
                www.Grade.DC.gov