Alerts and Updates

  • Craig, Donald (MPD)
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 23, 2006
      I have a few things I need to let everyone know about. Over the past
      few weeks we have had about five burglaries on the Northwest side of
      P.S.A. 501. They have happened in the very late evening or early
      morning hours. The suspect entered through a first floor window and did
      this while the residents were home. At least one resulted in a
      confrontation with the owner and was heading towards a sexual assault
      when the suspect decided to flee the house.

      So with that please secure your windows as best you can to prevent
      anyone from coming into your home. At least that way they have to make
      a bunch of noise which will give you a chance to call the police and or
      even defend yourself until we get there.

      On a more positive note, the Focus Mission Unit made an arrest for a
      sexual assault that happened in the alley at 1st and Thomas Street N.W.
      He was caught minutes after the assault occurred. We are checking to
      see if he was involved in any of the Burglaries, but until we know for
      sure be on your toes.

      Now for some more positive notes.

      In the past few weeks the Focus Mission Units along with our patrol
      officers have been targeting some complaint areas. These are the
      results.

      Unit block of Girard Street N.E.

      A search warrant was obtained and served. Two arrests were made for
      possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia.

      600 blocks of Girard and Hamlin Streets N.E.

      Six arrests have been made for distribution, possession with the intent
      to distribute drugs and possession of drugs. Also one handgun has been
      recovered.

      Flagler and W Streets N.E.

      Four arrests have been made for possession with the intent to distribute
      drugs. They also have made two arrests for violation of stay away
      orders and are getting a warrant for the same violation on a person who
      they had arrested previously and who ran from them last night.

      Well that's about it for now everyone. Take care.

      Lt. Craig

    • kg9665a
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 29, 2006
        I just moved into Ward 5 and I think the people and the neighborhood
        are awesome. However, Sunday night around 9pm my roomates heard
        gunshots out infront of our house (T Street and N.Capitol, NE). When
        they asked what was going on, they were told it was gang related. Is
        there any more information on the shooting? Also, what can I do to
        stay out of gang-related crimes? Are they as violent to non-gang
        members and are we as likely to be shot at as someone they have a
        grudge against?

        New to the group and I hate to bring up the bad stuff first, but I'd
        like to know how to be smart in my new neighborhood and if there is
        anything my roommates and I can participate in to help build our new
        neighborhood into a better place to live.

        Thank you,

        Kate

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Craig, Donald \(MPD\)"
        <Donald.Craig@...> wrote:

        > We (about eight of us) actually went through the area about 1:45 Am
        and stopped two people in the Unit block of O Street N.W. Neither one
        lived in the area but we've seen them before. We didn't find any
        drugs so we checked them for warrants and sent them on the way. They
        did leave because we saw them both walking along Rhode Island Avenue
        about thirty minutes later. We went through the rest of the
        neighborhood but no one was out.

        > When the gunshots went off between 2:30 and 3:00 our units went in.
        No property damage was found and no injuries reported. If anyone did
        have property damage we didn't find please call 311 so that we can
        come out and make a report.

        > A little off the subject but very important. We are having a
        problem with cars being stolen throughout the Fifth Dsitrict. I would
        like to take this opportunity to encourage everyone to call 311 if
        they see any suspicious activity such as someone casing cars or houses.

        > Also you might consider enrolling in the Watch Your Car Program.
        What the deal is, is that you get a decal that you put in the back
        window of your car. This decal gives us permission to stop your car
        during extreme (like 1AM to 5AM) hours of the morning to make sure
        that it isn't stolen. If it's not you driving then we can contact
        you to see if you know who the person is that is driving your car.
        It's pretty decent deterrent to theft and is an excellent tool for us
        to catch car thieves. If you would like more information on this
        program ask your PSA Lt. at your next meeting.

        > That's about it for now. Take care all.
        >
        > Lt. Craig
        > ________________________________

      • Craig, Donald (MPD)
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 6, 2006
          Last night we served a search warrant at 1719 Lincoln Road. We
          recovered a large quantity of marijuana some cocaine and cash. We
          arrested three people for Possession With the Intent to Distribute
          Marijuana and Cocaine. We will forward the information to the owner to
          proceed with the eviction of the tenants. If he does not follow through
          we will document the incident so that we can try and seize the house on
          the next occurrence.

          Also we received several calls for gunshots around North Capitol and T
          Street N.E. We found no property damage and had no injuries. Take care
          everyone.

          Lt. Craig