Second annual DCPS Beautification Day, scheduled for Saturday, August 26, 2006

  • mpd5d_coordinator
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2006
      FOR IMMEDIATE
      RELEASE
      CONTACT: Kris Tyler Benjamin
      202-727-0488

      SCHOOLS AND COMMUNITIES PREPARE FOR DCPS BEAUTIFICATION DAY

      "Citywide effort designed to improve school facilities for the new
      school year."

      Washington D.C. – The District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS) and
      their communities are preparing for the 2nd annual DCPS
      Beautification Day, scheduled for Saturday, August 26, 2006. The
      community event, a citywide cleanup and `spruce-up' at all DCPS
      schools, will take place from 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. Volunteers
      from across the city are invited to come together to sweep, mulch,
      paint, plant flowers, pick up trash, and perform many other duties
      designed to improve the appearance of school facilities and help
      prepare them for students when they return to class on August 28.

      "This is an important civic event," said Superintendent Clifford B.
      Janey. "Our children deserve to come back to a clean, inviting, and
      educationally conducive learning atmosphere. The community's
      participation in Beautification Day lets our students know we care
      about getting the school year off to the right start. I welcome
      parents, teachers, neighbors and all DC residents who want to come
      out and pitch in."

      In addition to parents, teachers, and members of the school
      community, organizations and businesses are strongly encouraged to
      participate. Volunteers can sign up individually or in a group, and
      every school can participate. All necessary materials – shovels,
      rakes, gloves, mulch, flowers, water, etc. – will be provided.
      Donations of materials and other items are also welcome.

      "I'm very excited about this year's Beautification Day," said
      Councilmember Kathy Patterson, Chair of the Council's Committee on
      Education, Libraries, and Recreation. "It's something we can do
      together as a community and I encourage everyone in the city to come
      out and help on August 26. To see the project up and running again
      for the second year in a row and to see the community rallying
      around it with such energy makes us all proud."

      The Beautification Day began, at the initiative of Councilmember
      Patterson, with one-time funding for summer 'fix-up' projects
      provided by the Council of the District of Columbia and Mayor
      Williams. Last year, more than 1000 volunteers participated.

      The Washington Teachers Union (WTU) also supports the Beautification
      Day efforts. WTU President George Parker notes, "The WTU supports a
      positive and attractive learning environment for all students in
      D.C. Public Schools. This is essential and sends a message that we
      value our students enough to give them the very best. We encourage
      all teachers, parents and the entire community to embrace this
      effort."

      To sign up to volunteer, or to receive more information, contact
      Kris Tyler Benjamin at 202-727-0488 (Email:
      volunteer4schools@...) or visit the DCPS website at
      www.dcpsbeautificationday.info; Eric Lerum (Council of the District
      of Columbia) at 202-724-8062; or Troy Howard (WTU) at 202-293-8622.

      Kris Tyler Benjamin
      Business Operations
      District of Columbia Public Schools
      825 North Capitol Street, NE