RE: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street

  • Burke, Patrick (MPD)
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 22, 2005
      If your interested in locating the sights of the redlight cameras and speed cameras as well, this can be found on www.mpdc.dc.gov under the traffic safety icon.

      Captain Patrick A. Burke
      Fifth District, MPDC
      Buckle Up, Drive Safe and Make a Difference!

      Office: 202 727-4488
      Pager: 888 523-7099

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
          The ACLU is in court actively opposing any placement of cameras for the purpose of deterring crime.  They feel it provides too much of an opportunity for law enforcement to invade someone's privacy.  They started it when we placed the cameras to deal with the IMF protests.

          Lt. Craig

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
            Suppose the residents of DC just started putting up web cameras to watch
            over their homes. If a crime occured, could we submit the footage to the
            police to be used? Is it illegal for a citizen to film, even if it's
            purpose is to deter crime?

            I can imagine this issue goes pretty deep and I'm sure the ACLU is coming up
            with all sorts of excuses. It's my belief that if the local hoodlums and
            criminals new someone was watching they might think twice before committing
            the crime. Although probably they would just move somewhere without a
            camera

            I recently saw that Boston cut down on crime by installing cameras in bad
            areas. Im not sure how everyone feels about this. But I think cameras at the
            bad 10th street location, at the metros, and around schools would surely be
            helpful in catching criminals/drug dealers and cutting down on criminal
            activity in general. Is this legal in this city and has there been any
            chatter about this?
            thanks!
            amber

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • James T. Engelhardt
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
              Check out this book:

              1984
              by George Orwell.

              Of course it shows an extreme example of cameras as a
              totalitarian tool, but it's an important 20th Century
              novel and an entertaining read. I recommend it.

              Also, I don't think the ACLU's position is that
              unreasonable, especially in light of the slippery
              slope illustrated in the novel.

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • isearched
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 24, 2005
                Hi all,

                This ACLU opposition has been going on for a couple of years.

                Read DC Watch's article entitled: "Nkechi Taifa, American Civil
                Liberties Union of the National Capital Area Testimony on Video
                Technology in Police Surveillance and Traffic Control" for June 13,
                2002 at

                http://www.dcwatch.com/issues/privacy12.htm

                Also read the article "Surveillance Cameras Everywhere!" at

                http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20Govern
                ment/Police%20State/surveillance_cameras_everywhere.htm

                With the technology available together, it would be inexcusable for us
                to suffer through another terrorist attack. Let's face facts: the
                September 11th terrorist attacks caught us with our pants down.

                -Tim Greene

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Craig, Donald (MPD)"
                <Donald.Craig@d...> wrote:
                > The ACLU is in court actively opposing any placement of cameras for
                the purpose of deterring crime. They feel it provides too much of an
                opportunity for law enforcement to invade someone's privacy. They
                started it when we placed the cameras to deal with the IMF protests.

                > Lt. Craig

              • Peter Pawlowski
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 25, 2005

                  Citizens have the right to place cameras on their [property to view public space and they can offer police the use of their space to view anything that is in plain sight.  The courts already ruled on this issue when the EPA flew an airplane over a Dupont factory and photographed toxic waste.  The ACLU will not succeed.

                  Peter

                  ----Original Message Follows---- From: "Pete Tuttle" <dairyqween@...> Reply-To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:11:30 -0500 Suppose the residents of DC just started putting up web cameras to watch over their homes. If a crime occured, could we submit the footage to the police to be used? Is it illegal for a citizen to film, even if it's purpose is to deter crime? I can imagine this issue goes pretty deep and I'm sure the ACLU is coming up with all sorts of excuses. It's my belief that if the local hoodlums and criminals new someone was watching they might think twice before committing the crime. Although probably they would just move somewhere without a camera From: "Craig, Donald (MPD)" <Donald.Craig@...> Reply-To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com> Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:43:14 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 X-Originating-IP: 164.82.148.99 X-Sender: donald.craig@... Received: from n4a.bulk.scd.yahoo.com ([66.94.237.38]) by mc1-f36.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 24 Mar 2005 02:36:59 -0800 Received: from [66.218.66.59] by n4.bulk.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:37 -0000 Received: from [66.218.67.199] by mailer8.bulk.scd.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:37 -0000 Received: (qmail 55795 invoked from network); 24 Mar 2005 10:36:34 -0000 Received: from unknown (66.218.66.218) by m6.grp.scd.yahoo.com with QMQP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:34 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO smtp22.dc.gov) (164.82.148.99) by mta3.grp.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; 24 Mar 2005 10:36:34 -0000 Received: from dc.gov ([10.201.25.70]) by smtp22.dc.gov with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:36:28 -0500 Received: from 164.82.188.48 ([164.82.188.48]) by emo-exch2k3-21.dcgov.priv ([10.201.25.70]) via Exchange Front-End Server outlook.dc.gov ([164.82.148.99]) with Microsoft Exchange Server HTTP-DAV ; Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:36:28 +0000 X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jG5/mB64S52BMkqtHXufINAGkezSN0dBZ0= DomainKey-Signature: X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: groups-email X-Apparently-To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com References: <d1mnob+jugg@...>, <00a701c52e53$e8854ae0$6401a8c0@VERVOSHRO7GGIE> Thread-Topic: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Thread-Index: AcUwXkg1+uVdaXrBT16riXs/kBpGYQ== X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Web Access 6.5.7232.39 X-MimeCtl: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5.7232.39 X-OriginalArrivalTime: 24 Mar 2005 10:36:28.0619 (UTC) FILETIME=[5632D1B0:01C5305D] X-eGroups-Msg-Info: 1:12:0 Mailing-List: list MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com; contact MPD-5D-owner@yahoogroups.com Delivered-To: mailing list MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com List-Id: <MPD-5D.yahoogroups.com> Precedence: bulk List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:MPD-5D-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com> Return-Path: sentto-13861494-164-1111660596-dairyqween=hotmail.com@... The ACLU is in court actively opposing any placement of cameras for the purpose of deterring crime. They feel it provides too much of an opportunity for law enforcement to invade someone's privacy. They started it when we placed the cameras to deal with the IMF protests. Lt. Craig From: Amber King Sent: Mon 3/21/2005 3:12 PM To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block of 10th Street Hi all, I recently saw that Boston cut down on crime by installing cameras in bad areas. Im not sure how everyone feels about this. But I think cameras at the bad 10th street location, at the metros, and around schools would surely be helpful in catching criminals/drug dealers and cutting down on criminal activity in general. Is this legal in this city and has there been any chatter about this? thanks! amber Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MPD-5D/ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: mailto:MPD-5D-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                • k_fw
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 25, 2005
                    Personally, I think there are some simpler ways to stop crime in our
                    neighborhoods than training cameras to record activity on our street
                    corners. One way is increased police presence in known "hot spots."

                    Sgt. Brown has drawn up an action plan for the 2500 block of 10th
                    Street which would increase police presence in a truly volatile
                    area. If someone Capt. Burke could fax this plan to me, or if I
                    could pick up a hardcopy somewhere, I would be more than happy to
                    type it up and let our neighbors on the listserve see what the police
                    action will be. If for some reason, the police do not want this
                    information made public, I would appreciate knowing that as well.

                    As for the cameras, keep in mind someone will still have to review
                    the tapes and ID suspects in order to have any effect. Part of the
                    problem with catching the armed robbers operating in our area has
                    been that even the victims couldn't identify the robbers. How in the
                    world would a camera help in that instance?

                    Honestly, if I thought cameras would do anything to stop crime I
                    would feel the need to confront the ACLU on this issue, but I think
                    the end result is that they would be expensive for tax payers and
                    ultimately ineffective in preventing crime.
                  • gwensouth@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 26, 2005
                      Peter,
                      You are right.  I spoke with an MPD detective and he said that citizens can place cameras on *their* property and share these photos with the police.  As a resident of an apartment complex, I take pictures that are turned over to the management.  These tenants are removed.  There needs to be a meeting with the owner of the building on 10th Street to request that they place camera surveillance on their property and that they work closely with MPD to rid the building of nuisance tenants.  The owner may have to be forced to do this; often they are unwilling to deal with the problem tenants.  I know for a fact that if the landlord works with the police, especially with the citizen complaints, they can clean up that property.

                      Gwen

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 26, 2005
                        Peter:

                        It is not the ACLU's position to prevent private
                        property owners from using cameras. That's fine with
                        them (and fine with me).

                        It's the use of cameras by government entities that
                        they are opposed to--and in my opinion rightfully so.
                        Especially in these days of the Bush Administration,
                        the Patriot Act, and the unlawful imprisonment and
                        treatment of hundreds of Muslim Americans after 9/11.

                        Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: action plan for 2500 block
                        To: <MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com> Subject: RE: [MPD-5D] Re: