Home Depot Parking Lot: As Much Parking Enforcement As You Can Muster, Please

  • dachare
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8 12:32 AM
      I have noticed your officers chasing parkers out of the fire lane and handicapped spots/zones in the Home Depot parking lot from time to time, and I do appreciate that, but if you can give anyone else over to this duty, particularly during rush hour, it would be much appreciated. This morning, I got into a scuffle with a "contractor" who almost hit me while I was walking across the fire lane. He seemed to think that his right to drive and park in the fire lane, without looking for pedestrians, trumped my right to safely walk across it. Beyond this guy, I am regularly confronted with people parked in such a way that I must walk out into traffic to cross in front of the Home Depot or Giant. I have asked DPW for enforcement, but it seems the only thing that is effective is a parked cruiser or police enforcement of fire lane and handicapped spot/zone enforcement. I hate to ask for this, as the stores should be policing this on their own, but, after nearly being mowed down by a large truck and then having the driver try to physically engage me over it this morning, police intervention seems the only effective solution. Yes, I have tried to bring this up to the management of the stores and even their corporate parents, and have gotten no results. If there are no police present at these locations, it's a car "free for all," yet even a single cruiser results in clear lanes where I can walk, traffic can flow, and emergency vehicles can respond.
    • vmoore0224
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8 4:23 AM
        Good day Dachare: Thank you for taking time out of your day to apprise MPD of your unfortunate event at the Home Depot parking lot and to show your appreciation for the efforts you see of our officers.
        As part of the plan to address crime and disorder in and around the Home Depot parking lot/Brentwood Metro station, there will be officers assigned specifically to those areas, which will extend well into the evening hours.

        As your situation is unfortunate and can create an undesireable event, ["scuffling" with a motorist] the bottom line is you want to go about your day in the same condition you were in when you began. With that being said, refrain at all cost any type of confrontation with a scofflaw. Gather as much physical information you can on him/her, to include clothing, vehicle, height, weight and direction of travel. Once you have the information, you can reach out to MPD for us to investigate.

        Lt. V. Moore, PSA 507
        Fifth District
        vanessa.moore@...

        An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "dachare" wrote:

        > I have noticed your officers chasing parkers out of the fire lane and handicapped spots/zones in the Home Depot parking lot from time to time, and I do appreciate that, but if you can give anyone else over to this duty, particularly during rush hour, it would be much appreciated. This morning, I got into a scuffle with a "contractor" who almost hit me while I was walking across the fire lane. He seemed to think that his right to drive and park in the fire lane, without looking for pedestrians, trumped my right to safely walk across it. Beyond this guy, I am regularly confronted with people parked in such a way that I must walk out into traffic to cross in front of the Home Depot or Giant. I have asked DPW for enforcement, but it seems the only thing that is effective is a parked cruiser or police enforcement of fire lane and handicapped spot/zone enforcement. I hate to ask for this, as the stores should be policing this on their own, but, after nearly being mowed down by a large truck and then having the driver try to physically engage me over it this morning, police intervention seems the only effective solution. Yes, I have tried to bring this up to the management of the stores and even their corporate parents, and have gotten no results. If there are no police present at these locations, it's a car "free for all," yet even a single cruiser results in clear lanes where I can walk, traffic can flow, and emergency vehicles can respond.

      • Wendy Lewis
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8 6:10 AM
          That was an awesome response!

          Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
            A delayed thanks, as I have seen cruisers in the lot at rush hour times much more frequently over the last few weeks, and it has helped immensely in allowing me to walk across the lot without venturing into traffic or having people haphazardly pull into the fire lane without looking! I'm no shrinking violet, but I have no desire to either be crushed under a massive pickup nor come to blows over a near-miss. At the location where that happened, very near the entrance and closer to the store than the through lanes, I could have very easily been a customer entering the store, and it's disappointing that the store takes their customers' and community members' safety so lightly that they don't find this behavior a problem worth correcting, on their own.