what should I do If I am approached

  • Vaughn-Lee, Fayette (MPD)
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10 1:33 PM
      Good afternoon All,

      At the PSA 503 meeting last night residents pose the same question, "what should I do if I am approached by this person?

      The Officers answered with a defining "Do not resist". "Give up your property-do not give up your life". The residents learned for Sgt. Simms to report the crime to the police, try to describe the attacker accurately, this information can help prevent others from becoming victims. The best actions are to use preventive steps-avoiding the crime in the first place. Stay alert; be aware of people approaching your car. (If you see someone coming, it is possible to drive off before he/she reaches you)(The Officers described how someone might look when approaching; hands under arms, walking quickly, looking strange / suspicious)

      The following tips on guarding against robbery and assault was taken from MPD's web site

      Fayette Vaughn-Lee

      5D Community Outreach Coordinator

      Policing for Prevention

      Guarding Against Robbery and Assault

      Robbery and assault are serious crimes. While money is often the motivation, these incidents are considered crimes of violence because they involve the threat or actual use of physical violence.

      The basic rules of prevention are to be sensible and to be alert. The following tips will also help reduce the risk of robbery or assault.

      Personal Safety Tips on the Street

      If possible, do not walk alone during late-night hours.

      Walk in groups whenever you can-there is always safety in numbers.

      Let a family member or friend know your destination and your estimated time of arrival or return. That way, the police can be notified as quickly as possible if there is a problem.

      Stay in well-lit areas as much as possible. Avoid alleys, vacant lots, wooded areas, and other short cuts or secluded areas. They are usually not well lit or heavily traveled.

      Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes, and other potential hiding places.

      If you have to walk in the street, walk facing traffic. A person walking with traffic can be followed, forced into a car, and abducted more easily than a person walking against traffic.

      Walk confidently, directly, and at a steady pace.

      Do not stop to talk to strangers.

      Wear clothing and shoes that give you freedom of movement. In addition, do not burden yourself with too many packages or items.

      Always be aware of your surroundings. If you are wearing headphones, do not turn up the volume so high that you cannot hear outside noises.

      Never hitchhike or accept rides from strangers.

      Report any suspicious activity or person immediately to the Metropolitan Police Department at 3-1-1 <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547613,mpdcNav_GID,1554.asp> . Or, if it is an emergency, dial 9-1-1 <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcNav_GID,1554.asp> .

      Avoid carrying large sums of cash, or displaying expensive jewelry in public.

      Basic Street Smarts

      Wherever you are-on the street, in an office building or shopping mall, driving, waiting for a bus or subway-stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings.

      Send the message that you are calm, confident, and know where you are going.

      Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, avoid the person or leave.

      Know the neighborhoods where you live and work.

      Check out the locations of police and fire stations, public telephones, hospitals, and restaurants, or stores that are open late.

      If Someone Tries to Rob You

      Do not resist. Give up your property-do not give up your life.

      Report the crime to the police. Try to describe the attacker accurately. Your actions can help prevent others from becoming victims. Self-defense measures are most effective when applied as preventive steps-avoiding the crime in the first place.

      These measures include running away, hiding, screaming, and raising an alarm-remember, more people will respond to someone yelling "Fire" than they will to "Help!""

      Safety in Your Vehicle

      The crime of "carjacking" - which is stealing a car by force - captures headlines across the country. Statistically speaking, however, your chances of being a victim of carjacking are very slim, and taking preventive measures can reduce that risk even more.

      If the carjacker threatens you with a gun or other weapon, give up your car. Do not argue. Your life is definitely worth more than a car.

      Get away from the area as quickly as possible.

      Try to remember what the carjacker looked like-sex, race, age, hair and eye color, special features, clothes.

      Report the crime immediately to the police.