FW: 2.1.13 MPD Announces Arrests in Recent Robberies
Contact: Officer Tisha Gant 202-727-4383
February 1, 2013
MPD Announces Arrests in Recent Robberies
(Washington, DC)- Due to community concerns regarding robberies, the Metropolitan Police Department is releasing information on recent robbery arrests. Members of the public have been helpful in providing information that has led to arrests and MPD encourages members of the public to visit our YouTube page, view videos of cases, and contact police if they recognize persons of interest at http://www.youtube.com/OfficialDCPolice
Below are recent robbery arrests made within the last week.
§ Tuesday, January 22, 2013, at approximately 3:15 pm, a complainant reported that he was approached by two male suspects while at the bus stop at Tennessee Avenue and D Street, NE. The suspects grabbed the complainant and took a cell phone and an I-Pod from him before fleeing the scene. Two juvenile males were arrested for Robbery (Force and Violence).
§ Friday, January 25, 2013, at approximately 10:48 pm, two suspects entered the 7-11 in the 400 block of 8th Street NE armed with a handgun and robbed the establishment of an undetermined amount of U.S. currency. An adult male was arrested later that evening and charged with Robbery while Armed (Gun). A juvenile male was arrested on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 and charged as an adult with Robbery while Armed (Gun).
§ Wednesday, January 30, 2013, at approximately 6:16 pm, a complainant reported that while in the 1000 block of 8th Street, NW, she was approached from behind by a male suspect who snatched her purse from her shoulder and fled the scene on foot. Arrested was an adult male for Robbery (Force and Violence).
The following 4 incidents involved the same suspect:
- Monday, January 14, 2013, at approximately 8:00 pm, the complaint was getting into his parked vehicle located in the 700 block of 8th Street, SE, when the suspect approached his vehicle and implied that he had weapon. The suspect demanded the complainant’s property and then fled on foot after obtaining it.
- Wednesday, January 23, 2013, at approximately 4:38 pm, while the complainant was walking, the suspect ran up from behind with a knife in his hand at the corner of 11th and E Street, NE and demanded money and the complainant’s cell phone. The complainant gave his phone to the suspect who fled on foot.
- Wednesday, January 23, 2013, at approximately 6:00 pm, while the complainant was walking, the suspect ran up to him in the 800 block of Maryland Avenue, NE, implied that he had a weapon and demanded the complainant’s property. The suspect obtained United States currency from the victim.
- Wednesday, January 23, 2013, at approximately 8:00 pm, the complainant was walking in the 300 block of A Street, SE, when the suspect ran up from behind snatching the complainant’s cell phone and fleeing the scene.
After a coordinated investigation by the First District patrol officers and detectives, a juvenile male was identified, arrested, and charged in connection with these four robberies.
- Tuesday, January 29, 2013, at approximately 1:47 pm, a complainant reported that while walking in the 2500 block of 11th Street, NW, a male suspect approached him and snatched his cell phone from his hand. An adult male was arrested for Robbery (Snatch).
- Thursday, January 31, 2013, at approximately 11:31 pm, two complainants reported that while in the 400 block of T Street, NW, they were approached by a male suspect armed with a black semi-automatic handgun and demanded the complainants’ property. Taken was a cell phone and wallet. An adult male was arrested for Robbery while Armed (Gun)
- Monday, January 28, 2013, at approximately 11:45 pm, a complainant reported that while in the 3800 block of Minnesota Avenue, NE, a suspect snatched money from her and fled the scene with two other suspects. Arrested was an adult male for Robbery (Snatch). One of the suspects is described as a black male, 5’8” tall, 220 pounds, medium complexion with short hair. The other suspect was described as a black male, 300 pounds, dark complexion, wearing a gray Helly Hansen jacket.
- Wednesday, January 30, 2013, at approximately 4:05 pm, a complainant reports while walking in the 3000 block of Stanton Road, SE, he was approached by a male suspect who struck the complainant knocking him to the ground. Taken was an earring. Arrested was a juvenile male for Robbery (Force and Violence).
- Wednesday, January 30, 2013, at approximately 5:00 pm, a complainant reported while walking in the area of 6th and Mississippi Avenue, SE, he was approached by three suspects who placed him in a head lock while suspects one and three took food from the complainant’s bag. Arrested were two juvenile males for Robbery (Force and Violence). A third suspect is described as a black male, 5’7” tall, heavy build, dark complexion, tan pants, and a black jacket.
- Thursday, January 31, 2013, at approximately 3:33 pm, a complainant reported she was approached by four males while in the 3400 block of Stanton Road, SE. One of the suspects held the complainant around her neck. Taken was U.S. currency and a set of keys. An adult male was arrested for Robbery (Force and Violence).
Anyone who is the victim of a crime or witnesses a crime in progress should call 911 immediately. Individuals who have information regarding crimes should call police at 202-727-9099. Additionally information may be submitted to the TEXT TIP LINE by text messaging 50411. The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of up to $10,000 to anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for any robbery committed in the District of Columbia.
Save the date!
Mayor Gray’s 2013 State of the District Address is Tuesday, February 5th at 7:00 pm at the Sixth and I Historic Synagogue.
Attend in person, watch on DCN, or follow on Twitter via @mayorvincegray.