Suspect(s) Sought in Armed Robberies/Carjackings in Woodridge

  • Jaime S. Fearer
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
      Please see the notice below from MPD (
      http://newsroom.dc.gov/show.aspx/agency/mpdc/section/2/release/9456/year/2006).
      I know most of us take precautions when out in the evenings, but these
      incidents all occurred in the early morning, presumably as folks are heading
      off to work or returning from their night shifts. Luckily, no one was hurt.
      I'd like to remind everyone that *pepper spray* (NOT mace) *is legal* in the
      District, though it *must* be registered with the MPD. I purchased mine from
      this gentlemen (http://livesafeamerica.com/) when he spoke on personal
      safety at my office; if you tell him you live in DC, he can supply you with
      the proper paperwork to file. From MPD:

      The Metropolitan Police Department is seeking the public's assistance in
      identifying and locating the person or persons responsible for a series of
      similar armed offenses committed against female victims within the Fifth
      District. None of the victims in these cases sustained physical injuries.

      The first offense, an armed carjacking, occurred in the *3400 block of South
      Dakota Avenue, NE*, at about 4:30 am, on Saturday, August 5, 2006. Reportedly,
      an adult female was approached by a tall, thin black male armed with a
      silver colored handgun while she sat behind the wheel of her auto at a red
      traffic light. The suspect entered the passenger side of the auto and made
      the victim drive. He then directed her pull over in the vicinity of
      20thStreet and South Dakota Avenue, NE, where he told her to exit the
      vehicle
      and then forced her into the trunk of her car. The suspect drove for a
      while, and apparently picked up another black male. At some point, the
      victim was coerced into revealing the Personal Identification Number (PIN)
      for her ATM card. The suspect(s) then obtained cash from the victim's bank
      account. The victim was released from the trunk of her car in the area of*20
      th and Franklin Streets, NE*, and her car and keys were returned to her
      before the gunman fled on foot.

      The second offense, an attempted armed carjacking, occurred in the
      area of *South
      Dakota Avenue and 22nd Street, NE*, at about 5:17 am, on Wednesday, August
      9, 2006. As she sat behind the wheel of her auto, an adult female was
      approached by a tall, thin black male wearing a white mask and a white tee
      shirt and armed with a silver colored handgun. The suspect threatened the
      victim with the gun, but she drove away.

      The third offense, an attempted armed carjacking, occurred in the* 2600
      block of South Dakota Avenue, NE*, at about 5:30 am, on Wednesday, August 9,
      2006. As she sat behind the wheel of her auto, an adult female was
      approached by a tall, thin black male wearing a white mask and a white tee
      shirt and armed with a silver colored handgun. The suspect threatened the
      victim with the gun, but she drove away.

      The fourth offense, an armed robbery, occurred in the *3800 block of
      22ndStreet, NE
      *, at about 5:44 am, on Wednesday, August 9, 2006. An adult female waiting
      for a bus at a bus stop was robbed at gunpoint by a tall, thin black male
      wearing a white mask and a white tee shirt and armed with a silver colored
      handgun. The suspect stole the victim's purse and fled on foot through the
      north alley.

      These cases are under investigation members of the MPDC/FBI Robbery Task
      Force and Fifth District detectives. Anyone with information about these
      offenses is asked to call police at (202) 727-9099.

      The Metropolitan Police Department currently offers a reward of *up to
      $10,000 *to anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and
      conviction of the person or persons responsible for any robbery committed in
      the District of Columbia.

      Let's watch out for each other!

      Best,

      Jaime

      22nd+Otis
      --
      www.stopblogandroll.com - for Woodridge, Brookland, Ward 5 & beyond

    • beanish80
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
        I have often thought about what I would do if put in this situation and I would like to know what the police recommend.

        If I am approached by a gunman while sitting at a red light, should I try to drive off and escape or submit and either get out of the car or follow whatever direction the gunman gives?

        My instinct would probably be to try and drive away, but I would think that the gunman could probably get off a few shots before I got far enough away.

        Is it more common for would be carjackers to give up if the person drives away or do they tend to shoot?

        Any advice?

        Kim

      • Vaughn-Lee, Fayette (MPD)
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2006
          Good afternoon All,

          At the PSA 503 meeting last night residents pose the same question, "what should I do if I am approached by this person?

          The Officers answered with a defining "Do not resist". "Give up your property-do not give up your life". The residents learned for Sgt. Simms to report the crime to the police, try to describe the attacker accurately, this information can help prevent others from becoming victims. The best actions are to use preventive steps-avoiding the crime in the first place. Stay alert; be aware of people approaching your car. (If you see someone coming, it is possible to drive off before he/she reaches you)(The Officers described how someone might look when approaching; hands under arms, walking quickly, looking strange / suspicious)

          The following tips on guarding against robbery and assault was taken from MPD's web site

          Fayette Vaughn-Lee

          5D Community Outreach Coordinator

          Policing for Prevention

          Guarding Against Robbery and Assault

          Robbery and assault are serious crimes. While money is often the motivation, these incidents are considered crimes of violence because they involve the threat or actual use of physical violence.

          The basic rules of prevention are to be sensible and to be alert. The following tips will also help reduce the risk of robbery or assault.

          Personal Safety Tips on the Street

          If possible, do not walk alone during late-night hours.

          Walk in groups whenever you can-there is always safety in numbers.

          Let a family member or friend know your destination and your estimated time of arrival or return. That way, the police can be notified as quickly as possible if there is a problem.

          Stay in well-lit areas as much as possible. Avoid alleys, vacant lots, wooded areas, and other short cuts or secluded areas. They are usually not well lit or heavily traveled.

          Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes, and other potential hiding places.

          If you have to walk in the street, walk facing traffic. A person walking with traffic can be followed, forced into a car, and abducted more easily than a person walking against traffic.

          Walk confidently, directly, and at a steady pace.

          Do not stop to talk to strangers.

          Wear clothing and shoes that give you freedom of movement. In addition, do not burden yourself with too many packages or items.

          Always be aware of your surroundings. If you are wearing headphones, do not turn up the volume so high that you cannot hear outside noises.

          Never hitchhike or accept rides from strangers.

          Report any suspicious activity or person immediately to the Metropolitan Police Department at 3-1-1 <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547613,mpdcNav_GID,1554.asp> . Or, if it is an emergency, dial 9-1-1 <http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1237,q,547620,mpdcNav_GID,1554.asp> .

          Avoid carrying large sums of cash, or displaying expensive jewelry in public.

          Basic Street Smarts

          Wherever you are-on the street, in an office building or shopping mall, driving, waiting for a bus or subway-stay alert and tuned in to your surroundings.

          Send the message that you are calm, confident, and know where you are going.

          Trust your instincts. If something or someone makes you uneasy, avoid the person or leave.

          Know the neighborhoods where you live and work.

          Check out the locations of police and fire stations, public telephones, hospitals, and restaurants, or stores that are open late.

          If Someone Tries to Rob You

          Do not resist. Give up your property-do not give up your life.

          Report the crime to the police. Try to describe the attacker accurately. Your actions can help prevent others from becoming victims. Self-defense measures are most effective when applied as preventive steps-avoiding the crime in the first place.

          These measures include running away, hiding, screaming, and raising an alarm-remember, more people will respond to someone yelling "Fire" than they will to "Help!""

          Safety in Your Vehicle

          The crime of "carjacking" - which is stealing a car by force - captures headlines across the country. Statistically speaking, however, your chances of being a victim of carjacking are very slim, and taking preventive measures can reduce that risk even more.

          If the carjacker threatens you with a gun or other weapon, give up your car. Do not argue. Your life is definitely worth more than a car.

          Get away from the area as quickly as possible.

          Try to remember what the carjacker looked like-sex, race, age, hair and eye color, special features, clothes.

          Report the crime immediately to the police.

          http://newsroom.dc.gov/show.aspx/agency/mpdc/section/2/release/9456/year/2006 <http://newsroom.dc.gov/show.aspx/agency/mpdc/section/2/release/9456/year/2006> ).
          this gentlemen (http://livesafeamerica.com/ <http://livesafeamerica.com/> ) when he spoke on personal