Re: [MPD-5D] need for more aggressive parking enforcement

  • Eliza Auckerman
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2013

      This is also an issue on the unit block of O St NW, primarily mornings through mid-afternoon Mon to Fri. Many social service organzations come in with vans or buses to drop of clients of SOME and frequently block the loading zone abd crosswalks at First and O. This is especially scary given the high amount of pedestrian traffic from SOME and the business of First St during morning rush hour. Any help would be appreciated!

      Eliza

      On Jan 15, 2013 4:22 AM, "studermw" <studermw@...> wrote:

      I am a resident of the western edge of the 5th District, on 4th St NW between P and Q streets. I would like to request that the MPD step up their patrols of this particular street during the mornings of weekends and be a tad more aggressive in their parking enforcement. This particular area (also stretching onto 3rd St) is home to several houses of worship, all of which have sizable congregations that like to drive and park in our neighborhood. These mosques and churches have always been good neighbors and we're lucky to have them in our neighborhood. However, their participants are not always so neighborly when parking their cars. Frequently on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, people attending worship services and events park their cars illegally despite the posted signage, and often park their cars in places that make it dangerous for other cars to safely pass by. I often see cars parked with wheels on the sidewalk or parked immediately next to stop signs, making it difficult to make turns. Many times I have tried to use the "311" app to report these incidents, but I suspect either the parking enforcement officers aren't available during these times or are not motivated to respond to this block for some reason.

      There may be a need to revisit the parking regulations on our street (currently one of the very few in the city with no zoning restrictions), but for the time being, I would simply request that the MPD begin to enforce the current parking regulations fairly and equally on our block. I myself have received tickets elsewhere in the city when my bumper is a few feet past a no parking sign, so it seems unfair that someone can park their car like this on my street week after week with no threat of enforcement. I'm hoping that some better parking enforcement will help solve the problem before we have to approach Councilman McDuffy's office about looking into resident-only parking.

      Matt Studer

    • Griffin, Randy (MPD)
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 16, 2013
        Thank you for the update. We will monitor the traffic in the area. Additionally, please remember that the Department of Public Works does have a parking enforcement division that is specifically responsible for addressing parking issues. Perhaps a call to the non-emergency telephone number may work more efficiently than the app.

[...]

        Learn more at
        www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!

      • Matt Studer
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 16, 2013
          Randy,

          I checked the DPW Parking enforcement website, and they only list their office contact info and phone number (M-F hours). I'm happy to try to use 311 if that is still an option for non-emergency calls. Also, I have been told in the past that we should use 911 even if it's a non-emergency on weekends to have police come and enforce parking regulations. Is this true? I want to try to get this resolved with a minimum of frustration to our police...

          Matt

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 16, 2013

            Eliza – I walked by the unit block of O St NW today and noticed that that’s not a residential parking block, which means DPW cannot do parking enforcement, except for vehicles parked in No Parking Zones.

            I would be happy to provide you with the Residential Parking Petition Application and tools I used to have residential parking implemented on my block. This will at least provide DPW with a tool to fine non-residents with fines when exceeding to two hour limit. I am copying Commissioner Joyce Robinson-Paul, as she would need to present your petition to the ANC for a letter of support before the application can be submitted to DDOT for processing.

            Feel free to reach out to me directly for any assistance.

            Regards,

            Geovani A. Bonilla

            Bates Area Civic Association

[...]

          • Kane, Morgan (MPD)
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 16, 2013
              We encourage you to call 911 if you need police assistance.  I will forward your concerns to our partners at DPW as well as ensure our officers patrol this area and assist with enforcement.

              Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
              Fifth District Station
              Metropolitan Police Department
              1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
              Washington, DC 20002
              202-391-6862 (cell)
              202-698-0150 (station)

[...]

              Honor the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and 57th Presidential Inauguration by volunteering.
              Learn how you can give back and get involved at
              www.serve.dc.gov.

              For more info on the Inauguration on January 21st, head to www.inauguration.dc.gov.

            • Kane, Morgan (MPD)

[...]

                Support the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and the 57th Presidential Inauguration by volunteering.

                    --
                    That ain't working, that's the way you do it.
                  • crknightdc
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 18, 2013
                      There is an empty lot on the corner of 1st and O St NW that has become a parking lot for the Dunbar construction people.

                      Is it legal to have at least 8 cars each morning parked in an empty lot? There is no curb cut so they have to drive over the sidewalk and curb.

                      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Kane, Morgan (MPD)" wrote:

                      > The concern was forwarded over to Mr Howland, the Director of DPW. He assured me his parking enforcement officers would also assist with these concerns.
                      >
                      > Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                      > Fifth District Station
                      > Metropolitan Police Department
                      > 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
                      > Washington, DC 20002
                      > 202-391-6862 (cell)
                      > 202-698-0150 (station)
                      >

                      > On Jan 16, 2013, at 11:06 PM, "Kane, Morgan (MPD)" > wrote:
                      >
                      > We encourage you to call 911 if you need police assistance. I will forward your concerns to our partners at DPW as well as ensure our officers patrol this area and assist with enforcement.
                      >
                      > Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                      > Fifth District Station
                      > Metropolitan Police Department
                      > 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
                      > Washington, DC 20002
                      > 202-391-6862 (cell)
                      > 202-698-0150 (station)
                      >

                      > Support the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and the 57th Presidential Inauguration by volunteering.
                      > Learn how you can give back and get involved at www.serve.dc.gov .
                      > For more info on the Inauguration on January 21st, head to www.inauguration.dc.gov .

                    • Wendy Lewis
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 18, 2013
                        As a construction worker I ask...WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE THEM TO PARK WHILE THEY(we) WORK!?????

                        On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:56 AM, "crknightdc" wrote:

                        > There is an empty lot on the corner of 1st and O St NW that has become a parking lot for the Dunbar construction people.
                        >
                        > Is it legal to have at least 8 cars each morning parked in an empty lot? There is no curb cut so they have to drive over the sidewalk and curb.
                        >
                        > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Kane, Morgan (MPD)" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The concern was forwarded over to Mr Howland, the Director of DPW. He assured me his parking enforcement officers would also assist with these concerns.
                        > >
                        > > Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                        > > Fifth District Station
                        > > Metropolitan Police Department
                        > > 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
                        > > Washington, DC 20002
                        > > 202-391-6862 (cell)
                        > > 202-698-0150 (station)
                        > >

                        > > On Jan 16, 2013, at 11:06 PM, "Kane, Morgan (MPD)" > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > We encourage you to call 911 if you need police assistance. I will forward your concerns to our partners at DPW as well as ensure our officers patrol this area and assist with enforcement.
                        > >
                        > > Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                        > > Fifth District Station
                        > > Metropolitan Police Department
                        > > 1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
                        > > Washington, DC 20002
                        > > 202-391-6862 (cell)
                        > > 202-698-0150 (station)
                        > >

                        > > Support the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and the 57th Presidential Inauguration by volunteering.
                        > > Learn how you can give back and get involved at www.serve.dc.gov .
                        > > For more info on the Inauguration on January 21st, head to www.inauguration.dc.gov .

                      • Kane, Morgan (MPD)

                                There is an empty lot on the corner of 1st and O St NW that has become a parking lot for the Dunbar construction people.

                                Is it legal to have at least 8 cars each morning parked in an empty lot? There is no curb cut so they have to drive over the sidewalk and curb.

                                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, " Kane, Morgan (MPD)" wrote:

                                > The concern was forwarded over to Mr Howland, the Director of DPW. He
                                assured me his parking enforcement officers would also assist with these concerns.

                                > Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                                > Fifth District Station
                                > Metropolitan Police Department
                                > 1805 Bladensburg Road,
                                NE
                                > Washington ,
                                w:st="on">DC 20002
                                > 202-391-6862 (cell)
                                > 202-698-0150 (station)
                                >

                                > On Jan 16, 2013, at 11:06 PM, " Kane, Morgan
                                (MPD)" > wrote:

                                > We encourage you to call 911 if you need police assistance. I will forward
                                your concerns to our partners at DPW as well as ensure our officers patrol this area and assist with enforcement.

                                > Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                                > Fifth District Station
                                > Metropolitan Police Department
                                > 1805 Bladensburg Road,