need for more aggressive parking enforcement on 4th St NW

  • studermw
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2013
      I am a resident of the western edge of the 5th District, on 4th St NW between P and Q streets. I would like to request that the MPD step up their patrols of this particular street during the mornings of weekends and be a tad more aggressive in their parking enforcement. This particular area (also stretching onto 3rd St) is home to several houses of worship, all of which have sizable congregations that like to drive and park in our neighborhood. These mosques and churches have always been good neighbors and we're lucky to have them in our neighborhood. However, their participants are not always so neighborly when parking their cars. Frequently on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, people attending worship services and events park their cars illegally despite the posted signage, and often park their cars in places that make it dangerous for other cars to safely pass by. I often see cars parked with wheels on the sidewalk or parked immediately next to stop signs, making it difficult to make turns. Many times I have tried to use the "311" app to report these incidents, but I suspect either the parking enforcement officers aren't available during these times or are not motivated to respond to this block for some reason.

      There may be a need to revisit the parking regulations on our street (currently one of the very few in the city with no zoning restrictions), but for the time being, I would simply request that the MPD begin to enforce the current parking regulations fairly and equally on our block. I myself have received tickets elsewhere in the city when my bumper is a few feet past a no parking sign, so it seems unfair that someone can park their car like this on my street week after week with no threat of enforcement. I'm hoping that some better parking enforcement will help solve the problem before we have to approach Councilman McDuffy's office about looking into resident-only parking.

      Matt Studer
    • Griffin, Randy (MPD)
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 15, 2013

        Mr. Studer,

        I can certainly sympathize with your concerns.  We can meet with the leaders of the individual houses of worship in an attempt to facilitate a mutual understanding about the parking concerns.

        Learn more at
        www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 15, 2013
          Thanks, Randy. I'm happy to also make myself available for this discussions as a resident of the block if that would help.

          Also, would it be possibly to have a patrol car come by and at least issue warnings to some of the worst offenders? I'm not interested in anyone getting excessive fines, but a few warnings might illustrate the problem sufficientlyl.

          Matt

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 15, 2013
              Thats strange because there have been several instances where i called parking enforcement and they transferred me to mpd as they said mpd issue citations during certain times of the day.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 16, 2013
                I think the point is that they will issue a citation (ticket) but not a warning.

                On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM, svhill3 <svhill3@...> wrote:

                Thats strange because there have been several instances where i called parking enforcement and they transferred me to mpd as they said mpd issue citations during certain times of the day.

                MPD does not issue warnings for parking violations. I am hopeful that a resolution can be arranged.

              • Kane, Morgan (MPD)
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 16, 2013
                  You are absolutely correct Taylor.  We don't issue warning parking tickets.  When we issue parking tickets there is a monetary fine associated with it.

                  Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                  Fifth District Station
                  Metropolitan Police Department
                  1805 Bladensburg Road, NE