Re: [MPD-5D] Intersection of New York ave / Florida ave NE

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2013
      I agree that this intersection is a mess. We do conduct enforcement but I suggest you also get in touch with DDOT to see what they can do to address the near-constant gridlock here.

      Andy Solberg

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 13, 2013, at 3:35 PM, "hoza2" <hoza2@...> wrote:

      The intersection of Florida and New York avenue NE (Wendy's circle) is becoming a nightmare with motorists ignoring traffic laws. Yesterday (1/11/13) evening around 4:40pm drivers were blocking the box from all directions resulting in traffic not moving. You could tell tempers were boiling. A silver Chevy Impala westbound on NY ave made an illegal left turn into Florida ave, onto oncoming traffic. There happened to be a MPD officer at the corner attending to an accident. From my view point, the officer tried to stop the vehicle, but not sure if he managed. Is it possible to station a cruiser once in while during peak hours on that circle?
      Lawrence

      Learn more at
      www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!

    • hoza2
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2013
        Thank you Commander, is there any specific contact at DDOT?

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Solberg, Andrew (MPD)" wrote:

        > I agree that this intersection is a mess. We do conduct enforcement but I suggest you also get in touch with DDOT to see what they can do to address the near-constant gridlock here.
        >
        > Andy Solberg
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Jan 13, 2013, at 3:35 PM, "hoza2" > wrote:
        >

        > The intersection of Florida and New York avenue NE (Wendy's circle) is becoming a nightmare with motorists ignoring traffic laws. Yesterday (1/11/13) evening around 4:40pm drivers were blocking the box from all directions resulting in traffic not moving. You could tell tempers were boiling. A silver Chevy Impala westbound on NY ave made an illegal left turn into Florida ave, onto oncoming traffic. There happened to be a MPD officer at the corner attending to an accident. From my view point, the officer tried to stop the vehicle, but not sure if he managed. Is it possible to station a cruiser once in while during peak hours on that circle?
        > Lawrence
        >

        > Support the DC One Fund Campaign, Each One Give One.
        > Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov . One City, Working Together!

      • Roberta Downing
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2013
          Could MPD direct traffic at that intersection at peak times or can traffic cameras be installed? Or can MPD make an effort to start issuing tickets to people who block the intersection? I walk with my four-year-old every day through that intersection and it is very scary - because the intersection is consistently jammed from cars are blocking the flow of traffic, motorists start driving fast and angry, honking their horns. There is no sense that there will be consequences for irresponsible driving there and it is clearly unsafe. A pedestrian will be hit at some point if the intersection is not managed better.
        • Kane, Morgan (MPD)
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2013
            We forwarded your email to Director Bellamy of DDOT and he and his staff are following up.

            Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
            Fifth District Station
            Metropolitan Police Department
            1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
            Washington, DC 20002
            202-391-6862 (cell)
            202-698-0150 (station)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2013
              Yes--I suggest getting in touch with the director, Terry Bellamy, and he can refer you to the correct person there.

              Andy Solberg

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 14, 2013
                We do conduct enforcement, but as you might imagine, when we start to pull cars over it often creates a larger traffic congestion issue. I still think re-engineering may be a more comprehensive solution.

                Andy Solberg

                Sent from my iPhone