Re: FW: 12/29/12 Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW

  • brian.ions
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2013
      Sal, I think you continue to make Kris' point by ignoring the fact that the young victim was apparently jaywalking. That's at least a co-equal element of this story. Absent that fact, apparently there would have been no 'hit-and-run'. So the tragic aspects of this incident extend beyond the tragedy of a very young life cut short.

      We don't even know at this point if the 'hit-and-run' was intentional or even recognized by the second driver. However, there was nothing ambiguous (NOR EXCLUSIVE) about Officer Alali's request for public's assistance regarding this incident...
      After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.
      And still very much on topic for a police listserv, IMHO...

      In very many, if not most communities across this nation, when a kid gets tragically killed in a wholly preventable traffic incident, it warrants (and often generates) thorough and widespread concern for PREVENTION efforts of a very high order.

      PTAs, community groups, teachers, political leaders, police and news media are often proactively involved-- with very frank discussions as to causes and preventions-- in response to such tragedies. That is a very GOOD thing.

      Educating DC's kids to prevent them from putting themselves in high-risk, potentially DEADLY traffic situations is our community's DUTY. And any day of the week that trumps misplaced "tact and sensitivity" which can too often soft-soap or deny a problem exists.

      Clearly, that kind of public safety education is what incidents like this one calls for-- from a public safety/ police perspective.  And that's all Kris was rightly pointing out.

      brian/
      504

      --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Sal wrote:

> [...]
      > >got
      > >through...
      > >The hit and run knew it ran over something-
      > >
      > >------------------------------
      > >On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 6:10 PM EST Kris Hammond wrote:
      > >
      > >>This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC
      > >pedestrian was
      > >jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone
      > >driving
      > >did not see her. She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.
      > >>
      > >>I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by
      > >many DC
      > >pedestrians. I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I
      > >have had
      > >pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.
      > >If I
      > >had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would
      > >have hit
      > >most of these pedestrians. Honking at these individuals generally has
      > >little
      > >effect. Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian
      > >because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?
      > >>

      > >>Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking
      > >violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting
      > >pedestrians?
      > >>
      > >>Kris Hammond
      > >>

      > >>--- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      >UpDGvV6NA4zuhglioRj9eRZFJT1v-auqU9vXBJcOIighOYr_qJ4Ya22doR689k> ,
      > >"Press, MPD (MPD)" wrote:
      > >>

      > >> Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
      > >>
      > >> December 29, 2012
      > >>

      > >> Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First
      > >Street,
      > >NW
      > >>
      > >> (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police
      > >Department’s Major
      > >Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and
      > >locating a
      > >vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run
      > >traffic
      > >fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.
      > >>
      > >> On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded
      > >to a
      > >pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately
      > >6:06 pm
      > >at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003
      > >Pontiac
      > >Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W. After crossing
      > >the
      > >intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac
      > >struck a
      > >pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.
      > >After
      > >impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and
      > >was run
      > >over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

    • Chris Kelly
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
        Any news on the second car, the TAN SUV with DC Tags?

        Chris Kelly
        dcreardon@...

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
          We have no update on this.

          Andy Solberg

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 13, 2013, at 3:36 PM, "Chris Kelly" <DCReardon@...> wrote:

          Any news on the second car, the TAN SUV with DC Tags?

          Chris Kelly
          dcreardon@...

          Learn more at
          www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!

> [...]

          > >> On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded
          > >to a
          > >pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately
          > >6:06 pm
          > >at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003
          > >Pontiac
          > >Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W. After crossing
          > >the
          > >intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac
          > >struck a
          > >pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.
          > >After
          > >impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and
          > >was run
          > >over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

        • Matthew
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 22, 2013
            With the death of a pedestrian this week on Florida Ave, I'll just repost what I wrote less than four months ago about the problems of drivers failing to yield to pedestrians on Florida Ave...

            I am constantly witnessing vehicles running red lights and stop signs, or failing to yield for pedestrians in crosswalks. It gets really tiresome having drivers nearly hit me on a weekly basis because they ignore traffic signals or well marked crosswalks. Try crossing Florida at one of the crosswalks west of North Capitol - there are big yellow signs telling drivers they must stop for pedestrians and warning them of fines for failing to do so, but I have rarely had a driver actually stop for me when I'm trying to cross.

            So, I'll ask a related question: Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst red light running violations and failures to yield to pedestrians and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting problem drivers?

            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > >
            > > > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

          • Wendy Lewis
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
              I have always had fear that an incident would happen in front the church, especially on Sunday , it's so very busy.

              It just reminds me that the person driving the SUV that hit and killed the two babies in that area were never caught.

              And the car that jumped the curb, running from the police and killed the baby(s) on the side walk a little further up the street.

              Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

              On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:13 PM, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

> [...]

              > > > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

            • Kane, Morgan (MPD)
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                Good morning Matthew,

                In response to your email asking if MPD would increase traffic enforcement efforts in the Florida Avenue North Capitol Street area, the answer is absolutely. We will also coordinate efforts with our Traffic Safety and Specialized Enforcement Unit in this effort.

                Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                Fifth District Station
                Metropolitan Police Department
                1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
                Washington, DC 20002
                202-391-6862 (cell)
                202-698-0150 (station)

                www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.
              • MPD-5D-owner@yahoogroups.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                  Ms. Lewis,

                  This statement is not true. The man who hit and killed the two children on Florida Avenue was Eric Palmer. He pleaded guilty in 2005 to two counts of second-degree murder for the children's deaths and was sentenced to 16 years in prison for that tragic loss.

                  Our condolences go out to the families of Thursday night's victim, Mrs. Whitfield, as well as all victims of crime in the city we patrol. Our officers work very hard to close these cases, because, they too, witness (firsthand) and experience the loss and sadness when they are on the scenes of these senseless deaths. We want a safer city for everyone. We have heard from the DC Dept of Transportation (DDOT), Mr. Bellamy (whose message was posted last night by Commissioner Kathy Henderson). Safer streets are a priority for DDOT and for MPD. We assure you.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                    We are all saddened by this loss.

                    I see that DDOT Director Bellamy is having his agency review the Florida Avenue area, and this intersection and crossing in particular, for any possible improvements.

                    We will begin a more aggressive enforcement campaign here immediately.

                    Andy Solberg
                    Commander, 5D

                    Sent from my iPad