FW: 12/29/12 Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 29, 2012

      Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)

      December 29, 2012

       Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW

      (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.

      On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.  The Pontiac remained on the scene however; the SUV failed to stop and continued to travel eastbound on New York Avenue, NW.  DC Fire and Emergency Medical Services personnel transported the victim to an area hospital where she was admitted in critical condition.  The driver of the Pontiac was not injured in the collision.

      On Saturday, December 29, 2012, at approximately 2:15 pm, the pedestrian succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead by a member of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

      The decedent has been identified as 16 year-old female of Northwest, Washington, DC.

      The Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit is investigating this crash.

      Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the police at (202) 727-9099. Additionally, anonymous information may be submitted to the department’s TEXT TIP LINE by text messaging 50411.

      ###

      Learn more at
      www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!

    • Kris Hammond
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 30, 2012
        This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.

        I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?

        Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?

        Kris Hammond

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...> wrote:

        > Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
        >
        > December 29, 2012
        >

        >  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
        >
        > (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.
        >
        > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.
      • Charles Richter
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 31, 2012
          Without minimizing the seriousness of the second vehicle leaving the scene, I'd like to add that this particular block and the intersection at New York and North Capitol are always filled with jaywalking pedestrians, many of whom will step right out in front of cars.  In particular, pedestrians walk out halfway across New York at North Capitol and stand in the middle of traffic, looking for an opportunity to stroll across, stopping any cars that approach.  On the other hand, drivers run red lights there all the time.  I go through the intersection every day, both as a pedestrian and a driver, and am amazed that there are not even more frequent collisions.  I have had to slam on my brakes to avoid a stroller that someone pushed out into the street against the light, and I have on several occasions nearly been hit as I cross the street with the signal.  In the unit block of New York Ave NW, where this fatality occurred, I saw several jaywalkers crossing as I came home last night in the dark, in moderate traffic.

          A few months ago, DOT had people controlling the intersection during rush hour for a few days, and it operated smoothly.  Perhaps MPD and DOT could get together on enforcing both drivers and pedestrians. I'm sure that a lot of money could be made for the city by ticketing the enormous numbers of red light runners, illegal and dangerous turns, and speeding that happens here.

          --Charles Richter

          On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Kris Hammond <kristofor1787@...> wrote:

          This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.

          I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?

          Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?

          Kris Hammond

          --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...> wrote:

          > Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
          >
          > December 29, 2012
          >

          >  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
          >
          > (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.
          >
          > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

        • Sal
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 31, 2012
            My heart goes out to her family. This is so horrible. But, do you really think that it is appropriate to bash this 16 year old victim? Couldn't you have started a new thread with a different subject title? Wow! And your post got through...
            The hit and run knew it ran over something-

            ------------------------------
            On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 6:10 PM EST Kris Hammond wrote:

            >This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.
            >
            >I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?
            >

            >Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?
            >
            >Kris Hammond
            >

            >--- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
            >>
            >> December 29, 2012
            >>

            >>  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
            >>
            >> (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.
            >>
            >> On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.
          • Faye M. Black
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 31, 2012
              Wait, what? For a moment it almost looked like you just casually slandered a dead kid on a listserv. Oh, wait, that's exactly what you just did.

              What an utterly awful thing to say!

              I suspect, despite your tone of certainty, you did not witness this accident and you were nowhere near enough to this child to justify your rash speculations on how and why she died. Yet you still felt okay using this dead kid's back as your soapbox. Based on what? The fact that you've seen other people willfully walk into traffic!?

              I try to sit on my hands when it comes to this listserv but, wow. Consider what you're sending out into the world when you post.

              Faye Black
              Michigan Park

              On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Kris Hammond <kristofor1787@...> wrote:

              This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.

              I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?

              Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?

              Kris Hammond

              --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@...> wrote:

              > Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
              >
              > December 29, 2012
              >

              >  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
              >
              > (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.
              >
              > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

            • Matthew
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 31, 2012
                On the flip side, I am constantly witnessing vehicles running red lights and stop signs, or failing to yield for pedestrians in crosswalks. It gets really tiresome having drivers nearly hit me on a weekly basis because they ignore traffic signals or well marked crosswalks. Try crossing Florida at one of the crosswalks west of North Capitol - there are big yellow signs telling drivers they must stop for pedestrians and warning them of fines for failing to do so, but I have rarely had a driver actually stop for me when I'm trying to cross.

                So, I'll ask a related question: Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst red light running violations and failures to yield to pedestrians and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting problem drivers?

                --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, Kris Hammond <kristofor1787@...> wrote:

                > This is a sad story, but it basically boils down to this: A DC pedestrian was jaywalking, probably assumed that the vehicles would stop, but someone driving did not see her.  She died and one of the vehicles left the scene.
                >
                > I am tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by many DC pedestrians.  I generally drive only on weekends and evenings, but I have had pedestrians illegally walk in front of my car dozens of times in 2012.  If I had not slowed or stopped my vehicle during these occasions, I would have hit most of these pedestrians.  Honking at these individuals generally has little effect.  Who would have gotten the third degree if I struck a pedestrian because I momentarily took my eyes of the road?
                >

                > Is it possible that MPD could begin enforcement of the worst jaywalking violations and/or launch a safety awareness campaign targeting pedestrians?
                >
                > Kris Hammond
                >

                > --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Press, MPD (MPD)" <mpd.press@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Contact: Police Officer Araz Alali (202-727-4383)
                > >
                > > December 29, 2012
                > >

                > >  Pedestrian Hit and Run Traffic Fatality: New York Avenue and First Street, NW
                > >
                > > (Washington, DC)-Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Major Crash Unit are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying and locating a vehicle of interest in connection with the pedestrian hit and run traffic fatality, which occurred at New York Avenue and First Street, NW.
                > >
                > > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

              • brian.ions
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 2, 2013
                  I think you missed Kris Hammond's point, Sal.

                  Kris wasn't 'bashing' the deceased in this instance. Although I would add that hit-and-run as well as stop-sign/ red-light-running, cited by Matt, are comparable nuisances and dangers to the chronic jaywalking Kris cites.

                  MPD's failure to enforce all of these traffic laws is creating a serious public safety nuisance. And if DCPS had traffic safety programs for teen drivers and pedestrians alike, we might save parents a lot of heartache.

                  Mayor Gray, Chief Lanier and every member of Council are the RESPONSIBLE parties for assuring public safety in our city. There's not a thing wrong with demanding better of them.

                  These are PUBLIC DC listservs, BTW--  financed by the taxpayers of the District of Columbia. Among other public forums, this is exactly the place citizens should be raising their complaints about traffic and pedestrian public safety and law enforcement.

                  I also think one of Kris' larger, implied points is the cheap value DC citizens and their leaders place on our fellow residents' lives and public safety.

                  For example, I am astonished that the Post is running an article today-- essentially critical of the Police Chief's lawful ability to TEMPORARILY shutdown scofflaw alcohol-serving nightclubs which have had serious violent crimes and/or incidents.

                  Where are our own public safety priorities?

                  I don't think the Chief has been given ENOUGH power to interrupt business activities that result in violent behaviors. And the ABC Board needs a house cleaning if it keeps relying on the Chief and valuable MPD time to do their work. Mayor Gray and the Council ought to do something about that.

                  But by comparison to a dead teenager and a hit-and-run-driver who MPD hasn't brought to justice, where is WaPo's priorities in reporting on all the elements of this preventable loss of life?

                  All that is required for wrongful behaviors to triumph in this world is for good people to do nothing. *WE* are those good people. We must demand better of our leaders. Kudos to Kris, Matt and others here for making that effort on behalf of all of us.

                  brian/
                  PSA 504

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2013
                    I got your point. A young girl succombs to a hit and run. And you comment about; how this youg lady probably thought the car was going to stop,and you are tired of the extreme indifference and arrogance demonstrated by pedestrians, etc. etc. Seriously?
                    How do you know she probably thought the car was going to stop? Whatever happened to tact and sensitivity? Clearly you don't have teenagers (yet).
                    This subject was a hit and run. Though related and a spin off, you started a new subject/topic, Thus, a new thread.
                    ------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 5, 2013
                      Sal, I think you continue to make Kris' point by ignoring the fact that the young victim was apparently jaywalking. That's at least a co-equal element of this story. Absent that fact, apparently there would have been no 'hit-and-run'. So the tragic aspects of this incident extend beyond the tragedy of a very young life cut short.

                      We don't even know at this point if the 'hit-and-run' was intentional or even recognized by the second driver. However, there was nothing ambiguous (NOR EXCLUSIVE) about Officer Alali's request for public's assistance regarding this incident...
                      After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.
                      And still very much on topic for a police listserv, IMHO...

                      In very many, if not most communities across this nation, when a kid gets tragically killed in a wholly preventable traffic incident, it warrants (and often generates) thorough and widespread concern for PREVENTION efforts of a very high order.

                      PTAs, community groups, teachers, political leaders, police and news media are often proactively involved-- with very frank discussions as to causes and preventions-- in response to such tragedies. That is a very GOOD thing.

                      Educating DC's kids to prevent them from putting themselves in high-risk, potentially DEADLY traffic situations is our community's DUTY. And any day of the week that trumps misplaced "tact and sensitivity" which can too often soft-soap or deny a problem exists.

                      Clearly, that kind of public safety education is what incidents like this one calls for-- from a public safety/ police perspective.  And that's all Kris was rightly pointing out.

                      brian/

                    • Chris Kelly
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                        Any news on the second car, the TAN SUV with DC Tags?

                        Chris Kelly
                        dcreardon@...

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 22, 2013
                            With the death of a pedestrian this week on Florida Ave, I'll just repost what I wrote less than four months ago about the problems of drivers failing to yield to pedestrians on Florida Ave...

                            --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > >
                            > > > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

                          • Wendy Lewis
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                              I have always had fear that an incident would happen in front the church, especially on Sunday , it's so very busy.

                              It just reminds me that the person driving the SUV that hit and killed the two babies in that area were never caught.

                              And the car that jumped the curb, running from the police and killed the baby(s) on the side walk a little further up the street.

                              Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

                              On Mar 22, 2013, at 10:13 PM, "Matthew" <mtn1414@...> wrote:

> [...]

                              > > > On Friday, December 28, 2012, units from the First District responded to a pedestrian traffic collision with injury which occurred at approximately 6:06 pm at the intersection of New York Avenue and First Street, NW. A 2003 Pontiac Bonneville, was traveling east on New York Avenue, N.W.  After crossing the intersection of First Street with a solid green signal, the Pontiac struck a pedestrian, who was crossing north, outside of the east crosswalk.  After impacting with the Pontiac, the pedestrian landed in the roadway, and was run over by a tan sport utility type vehicle (SUV) with D.C. registration.

                            • Kane, Morgan (MPD)
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                                Good morning Matthew,

                                In response to your email asking if MPD would increase traffic enforcement efforts in the Florida Avenue North Capitol Street area, the answer is absolutely. We will also coordinate efforts with our Traffic Safety and Specialized Enforcement Unit in this effort.

                                Captain Morgan Kane, MPA
                                Fifth District Station
                                Metropolitan Police Department
                                1805 Bladensburg Road, NE
                                Washington, DC 20002
                                202-391-6862 (cell)
                                202-698-0150 (station)

                                www.taxpayerservicecenter.com.
                              • MPD-5D-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                                  Ms. Lewis,

                                  This statement is not true. The man who hit and killed the two children on Florida Avenue was Eric Palmer. He pleaded guilty in 2005 to two counts of second-degree murder for the children's deaths and was sentenced to 16 years in prison for that tragic loss.

                                  Our condolences go out to the families of Thursday night's victim, Mrs. Whitfield, as well as all victims of crime in the city we patrol. Our officers work very hard to close these cases, because, they too, witness (firsthand) and experience the loss and sadness when they are on the scenes of these senseless deaths. We want a safer city for everyone. We have heard from the DC Dept of Transportation (DDOT), Mr. Bellamy (whose message was posted last night by Commissioner Kathy Henderson). Safer streets are a priority for DDOT and for MPD. We assure you.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                                    We are all saddened by this loss.

                                    I see that DDOT Director Bellamy is having his agency review the Florida Avenue area, and this intersection and crossing in particular, for any possible improvements.

                                    We will begin a more aggressive enforcement campaign here immediately.

                                    Andy Solberg
                                    Commander, 5D

                                    Sent from my iPad