FW: WJLA 7 captured the fun of MPD’s Annual Shop with a Cop

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2012
      WJLA Channel 7 captured the fun of MPD’s Annual Shop with a Cop. See this link to Sam Ford's story http://www.wjla.com/video/2012/12/shop-with-a-cop-draws-150-kids.html

      Gwendolyn Crump

      Director, Office of Communications

      Metropolitan Police Department

      300 Indiana Avenue, NW, Room 5130

      Washington, DC 20001

      202-727-9346 desk

      202-727-4383 main

      202-553-8741 cell

      gwendolyn.crump@...

      Contact:  Gwendolyn Crump (202) 727-4383

      December 20, 2012

      Metropolitan Police Department’s Annual “Shop with a Cop” is Nonstop Fun

      (Washington, DC) — The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) kicked off its annual Shop with a Cop shopping spree today – spreading holiday cheer to more than 170 pre-selected children. The youth who ranged in age from five to seventeen, partnered with a MPD sworn member for a one-on-one shopping spree at Target. This event was made possible through Target and a grant from the Washington DC Police Foundation. (DCPF).

      Each child could select up to $100 worth of merchandise.

      “The Washington DC Police Foundation is proud to partner with Target and the MPD to make this a special Christmas for the youth of our city,” said Joe Persichini, Executive Director of the DCPF.

      “This is something that I look to forward to every year,” said Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier. “Seeing the joy on the kids’ faces makes us feel really good. This positive experience with police officers is something that the children will remember for years to come. The officers enjoy it too, and they quickly sign up to volunteer each year.”

      Chief Lanier’s shopping partner was 11-year-old Devonia, who is a fifth grade honor roll student at Tree of Life Public Charter School. Devonia and Chief Lanier combed the aisles together and selected a doll, a doll carrier, leggings and matching tops for Devonia, and purple boots. Devonia also thought of her little sister and got her some boots too.

      Shopping with MPD’s top cop was a huge treat for Devonia. “It made me feel like I was famous,” Devonia said. “I was too excited. I can’t stop smiling.”

      Learn more at
      www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!