Re: [MPD-5D] About the utility company

  • Matt Ashburn
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
      This usually comes up a few times a year- it sounds legit and an attempt to sell you on an alternative energy provider such as Washington Gas Energy Services, Constellation Energy, or another company.  This is due to energy utility deregulation, which allows customers to choose the provider that generate their electricity (though the customer-facing bill still comes through Pepco).

      It's just door-to-door salesmen, and they ask for details from your bill so that they can attempt to sell you their service and compare Pepco's rates with theirs.

      For more information on energy choice in DC, Pepco has a brief explanation here, along with a list of approved energy providers: http://www.pepco.com/home/choice/dc/

      Matt

      On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Matt Studer <studermw@...> wrote:

      My last run-in with this type of solicitation was just last week (1500 blk of 4th St NW) on a Sunday afternoon, and the very young guy was wearing a blue uniform jacket, blue cap with some sort of logo, and carried a clip board. He told me he was there to tell me about my energy options, asked "What are the details of your energy bill?" (word for word), and then acted like he was ready to start writing. I told him I had no interest and then closed the door. In hindsight I wish I'd been more observant and/or taken a photo with my phone. Next time, I will.

      On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Gigi Ransom <gigir1829@...> wrote:
      All,

      This happened in my SMD some months ago.  It is important that you contact the Office of the People's Counsel, your DC govt utility attorneys who will check out and advise you it these are legitimate contractors and who they represent.
      Albrette "Gigi" Ransom
      Commissioner, ANC 5C12

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 24, 2012

        Thanks for your message and the good advice, Ms. Lee.  I encourage anyone with suspicions to NOT open your door to strangers, even those in what appear to be uniforms, NOT sign contracts or subscriptions, and NOT give money or personal identifiers (or details of your energy bills) to solicitors at your door.

        Andy Solberg