Re: [MPD-5D] Thank You From A Grateful Neighbor

  • Jamila Minnicks
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
      Hi Daniel,

      Constellation Energy doesn't ring a bell, but thanks for trying to help jog my memory!

      I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about whether this activity warranted a call to 911.  The purpose of the email was to thank and commend MPD-5D, not to get into a lengthy conversation about the definition of soliciting vs. suspicious or illegal activity.

      Happy Holidays,

      Jamila Minnicks

      On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Daniel Chapman <dchapmanz@...> wrote:

      I believe that the man who came to your door was from Constellation Energy.  Someone from CE came to my door a couple of months ago, and I turned him away because I didn't like his attitude.  It's strange that they go door to door, but I don't think a solicitor warrants a call to 911..

      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
      From: Andrew.Solberg@...
      Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 21:44:44 -0500
      Subject: Re: [MPD-5D] Thank You From A Grateful Neighbor

      Thanks very much for such a positive message, Ms. Minnicks.

      Officers Vorndran and Miller are a great team, and I am glad to hear your feedback about your interaction with them. I'll make sure they see your note.

      Andy Solberg
      Commander, 5D

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
        In any case where an unknown and unsolicited person comes to your door, for any reason, we definitely ask that you call 911 so that we can come and determine the person's identity and reason for the visit.

        Last night a large group of carolers came to my house at about 8 pm, and of course it was a surprise and a wonderful experience.

        Nevertheless, we do want your first priority to be your own safety, and so we strongly encourage residents to call us in these circumstances.

        Andy Solberg

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
          I've seen those guys too!
          I live on the 1900 block of 1st STreet NE and I've seen them a couple of times "canvassing" the street, going door by door. There's always 2 or 3 adults with clipboards knocking on doors while one man is "directing" the operation. They don't wear a uniform and it looks very VERY shady.
          I wish MPD to request an official response from PEPCO with the following information (I would do it but I can already hear how they would laugh to my face)
          -Does PEPCO have a subsidiary that "sells" power to them? Who is it? Provide contact information.
          -Does the subsidiary have the right to contact PEPCO customers and request private information? Will PEPCO provide it? WHY or WHY not?
          -Is there a program to save energy? Why (not) PEPCO offer it directly to customers?
          -Who in PEPCO should we contact to lodge complaints about this subsidiary?

          I know that this may not be a job for the police but if PEPCO fails to communicate about their (invasive) programs, neighbors will continue to dial 911 and have their "subsidiary" staff chased away by cops. If PEPCO wants to avoid that, they should communicate in writing to its customers on HOW to proceed when this subsidiary staff shows up at the door.
          In the meantime neighbors (including yours truly) will continue to dial 911 to report suspicious activity. I'm sure PEPCO wants to avoid this.
          Thank you for your help,
          ileana
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012

            Ileana,

            Yes, we could contact PEPCO and see what we can find out.  However, I think you or others in the community should do that.  I think the community should take the initiative on things like this to find out from PEPCO if these men are in any way related to their services.  I am sure you can find a customer service representative at PEPCO who can answer these questions.

            Andy Solberg

            Commander, 5D

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
              All,

              This happened in my SMD some months ago.  It is important that you contact the Office of the People's Counsel, your DC govt utility attorneys who will check out and advise you it these are legitimate contractors and who they represent.
              Albrette "Gigi" Ransom
              Commissioner, ANC 5C12

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
                  Thanks for the update, Commissioner Ransom.

                  Andy Solberg

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
                    Commander Solberg,

                    We have had people come here to Edgewood (600 blk) over the past few months trying to get seniors to sign up with them, even offering free trips. Several seniors got caught up in this by signing a contract.
                    I did not sign up - it sounded a little fishy to me.

                    I am having an issue with my new "energy saving" thermostat. I went to the Public Service Commission and talked with Ms. Margaret Moskowitz. I just sent her a follow-up email and mentioned about what I had seen on the listserv.

                    Perhaps she can be of assistance: mmoskowitz@....

                    There seems to be a lot of people trying to get involved with "saving us money" on our utilities. It would be good to clear up the mud for all of us.

                    Thanks for all that you and your officers do for us.
                    Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season.

                    Linda D. Lee

[...]

                  • Matt Ashburn
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
                      This usually comes up a few times a year- it sounds legit and an attempt to sell you on an alternative energy provider such as Washington Gas Energy Services, Constellation Energy, or another company.  This is due to energy utility deregulation, which allows customers to choose the provider that generate their electricity (though the customer-facing bill still comes through Pepco).

                      It's just door-to-door salesmen, and they ask for details from your bill so that they can attempt to sell you their service and compare Pepco's rates with theirs.

                      For more information on energy choice in DC, Pepco has a brief explanation here, along with a list of approved energy providers: http://www.pepco.com/home/choice/dc/

                      Matt

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 24, 2012

                        Thanks for your message and the good advice, Ms. Lee.  I encourage anyone with suspicions to NOT open your door to strangers, even those in what appear to be uniforms, NOT sign contracts or subscriptions, and NOT give money or personal identifiers (or details of your energy bills) to solicitors at your door.

                        Andy Solberg