Thank You From A Grateful Neighbor

  • Jamila Minnicks
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
      This evening, a man appeared at our door claiming to be from a utility company, and asking to see our Pepco bill.  He indicated that he is from a company that sells Pepco its electricity, and that he wanted to see if we qualified for a lower electric rate.  He had no information with him about this alleged program, no business card, and the company had never sent any information about this scheme in the mail.  I was very suspicious, and turned the man away without giving him any information.  Before he left, however, he said that he would come back at a later time with more information about the program.

      I've heard about this suspicious activity in the past, so I called 9-1-1.  Less than ten minutes later, Officers Miller and Vorndran appeared at my door.  They took my report, despite my overly friendly dogs vying for their attention, and gave us some really great advice for how to handle these kinds of solicitations in the future. I felt 100% better after they left, knowing that we are so lucky to have such professional officers watching over our community.

      Thank you MPD-5D for training and providing such wonderful officers to care for our community.  Although we always hope to meet under different circumstances, it is such a relief to know that we have such fantastic police officers keeping us safe!

      Happy Holidays!

      J. Minnicks
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
        Thanks very much for such a positive message, Ms. Minnicks.

        Officers Vorndran and Miller are a great team, and I am glad to hear your feedback about your interaction with them. I'll make sure they see your note.

        Andy Solberg
        Commander, 5D

[...]

        Learn more at
        www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov.  One City, Working Together!

      • Jamila Minnicks

          --
          Jamila

          "Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken." -- Oscar Wilde

        • Matt Ernest

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 18, 2012
              Commander,

              Our condo building recently had two men doing the same thing - claiming to be contractors of Pepco and asking to see our utility bills. I think most of the residents refused and they quickly left.

              Can you tell us what the scam is or what they are trying to obtain?

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                I don't know what the scam is but I'll see if this is part of a larger pattern.

                In any case, residents are wise to refuse to let them in or examine your documents.

                In fact, especially at this time of year, we recommend that if you do not know the person knocking, you politely but firmly tell the person through your locked door that you are not interested.

                We do recommend you engage in a short dialogue to let the person know you are at home, as we have had experience with burglars knocking on doors in attempt to determine if anyone is home in a potential target house. If there is no answer, a burglar may go around back and try to get in through a back door in a home they believe is empty.

                Andy Solberg

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                  Hi Matt,

                  Officers Miller and Vorndran advised virtually the same thing as Commander Solbert.  I opened the door, but closed it and talked to the guy on my front porch.  I wouldn't let him in, or give him my electric bill, which they also advised was the right thing to do.  He gave me a name, and hew was wearing a gray coat and had a clipboard with an insignia on it, but I don't remember the name of the "company."  When he couldn't produce any documentation to verify the existence of this program, or a business card of any type, I told him to go away.  He said that he would return to the house with "more information" later, and I told him not to come back at all.  Still, it is unnerving that someone would even suggest that they would return to the house without a shred of evidence that they are in a legitimate business.  My only regret is that I didn't remember his name, or the name of the company that he said that he represented.

                  The officers advised that the people running this sort of scheme can look at your electric bill, and figure out how to pull your personal information off of there for identity theft purposes.  Alternatively, they also said that thieves can try to gain access to your house to figure out whether it is worth coming back later (i.e., if you have stuff they want to steal), and what kind of security system you have (i.e., window or door alarms, big dogs, etc.) so that they can enter without setting it off or getting bitten.  They finally advised that, if the person gives you any identifying information (i.e., a name, company name, etc.), TRY TO REMEMBER IT!  I didn't do that, which makes their job so much harder.  I think that Commander Solberg's advice to talk to them through the door is a great idea, and I will use that in the future.  I'll also probably let my dogs bark more...

                  I remember seeing others on the Brookland listserv mention a door-to-door electric salesman in the past, and was wary about this scheme from the beginning.  After he left, I googled "Washington door to door electric," and this article was one of my first hits: http://wamu.org/news/morning_edition/12/02/09/pepco_impersonators_hit_columbia_heights . In short, it described this guy's sales pitch almost exactly, and said that if they visit you, to call the police.  So I did.

                  Officers Vorndran and Miller really put us at ease, indicating that they are alwayas patrolling the neighborhood, and will keep an eye out for any suspicious activity because of this incident.  They also left the house to see if they could catch up with the guy.  They didn't make me feel overly cautious for calling, and said that I did the right thing by following my suspicions and calling 9-1-1.

                  Thank you again to the hardworking and talented men and women of MPD-5D for keeping us all safe.

                  Happy Holidays,

                  Jamila Minnicks

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                    I believe that the man who came to your door was from Constellation Energy.  Someone from CE came to my door a couple of months ago, and I turned him away because I didn't like his attitude.  It's strange that they go door to door, but I don't think a solicitor warrants a call to 911..

                    To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                      Hi Daniel,

                      Constellation Energy doesn't ring a bell, but thanks for trying to help jog my memory!

                      I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about whether this activity warranted a call to 911.  The purpose of the email was to thank and commend MPD-5D, not to get into a lengthy conversation about the definition of soliciting vs. suspicious or illegal activity.

                      Happy Holidays,

                      Jamila Minnicks

                      To: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 19, 2012
                        In any case where an unknown and unsolicited person comes to your door, for any reason, we definitely ask that you call 911 so that we can come and determine the person's identity and reason for the visit.

                        Last night a large group of carolers came to my house at about 8 pm, and of course it was a surprise and a wonderful experience.

                        Nevertheless, we do want your first priority to be your own safety, and so we strongly encourage residents to call us in these circumstances.

                        Andy Solberg

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 20, 2012
                          I've seen those guys too!
                          I live on the 1900 block of 1st STreet NE and I've seen them a couple of times "canvassing" the street, going door by door. There's always 2 or 3 adults with clipboards knocking on doors while one man is "directing" the operation. They don't wear a uniform and it looks very VERY shady.
                          I wish MPD to request an official response from PEPCO with the following information (I would do it but I can already hear how they would laugh to my face)
                          -Does PEPCO have a subsidiary that "sells" power to them? Who is it? Provide contact information.
                          -Does the subsidiary have the right to contact PEPCO customers and request private information? Will PEPCO provide it? WHY or WHY not?
                          -Is there a program to save energy? Why (not) PEPCO offer it directly to customers?
                          -Who in PEPCO should we contact to lodge complaints about this subsidiary?

                          I know that this may not be a job for the police but if PEPCO fails to communicate about their (invasive) programs, neighbors will continue to dial 911 and have their "subsidiary" staff chased away by cops. If PEPCO wants to avoid that, they should communicate in writing to its customers on HOW to proceed when this subsidiary staff shows up at the door.
                          In the meantime neighbors (including yours truly) will continue to dial 911 to report suspicious activity. I'm sure PEPCO wants to avoid this.
                          Thank you for your help,
                          ileana
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012

                            Ileana,

                            Yes, we could contact PEPCO and see what we can find out.  However, I think you or others in the community should do that.  I think the community should take the initiative on things like this to find out from PEPCO if these men are in any way related to their services.  I am sure you can find a customer service representative at PEPCO who can answer these questions.

                            Andy Solberg

                            Commander, 5D

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
                              All,

                              This happened in my SMD some months ago.  It is important that you contact the Office of the People's Counsel, your DC govt utility attorneys who will check out and advise you it these are legitimate contractors and who they represent.
                              Albrette "Gigi" Ransom
                              Commissioner, ANC 5C12

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
                                  Thanks for the update, Commissioner Ransom.

                                  Andy Solberg

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
                                    Commander Solberg,

                                    We have had people come here to Edgewood (600 blk) over the past few months trying to get seniors to sign up with them, even offering free trips. Several seniors got caught up in this by signing a contract.
                                    I did not sign up - it sounded a little fishy to me.

                                    I am having an issue with my new "energy saving" thermostat. I went to the Public Service Commission and talked with Ms. Margaret Moskowitz. I just sent her a follow-up email and mentioned about what I had seen on the listserv.

                                    Perhaps she can be of assistance: mmoskowitz@....

                                    There seems to be a lot of people trying to get involved with "saving us money" on our utilities. It would be good to clear up the mud for all of us.

                                    Thanks for all that you and your officers do for us.
                                    Have a Happy and Safe Holiday Season.

                                    Linda D. Lee

[...]

                                  • Matt Ashburn
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 21, 2012
                                      This usually comes up a few times a year- it sounds legit and an attempt to sell you on an alternative energy provider such as Washington Gas Energy Services, Constellation Energy, or another company.  This is due to energy utility deregulation, which allows customers to choose the provider that generate their electricity (though the customer-facing bill still comes through Pepco).

                                      It's just door-to-door salesmen, and they ask for details from your bill so that they can attempt to sell you their service and compare Pepco's rates with theirs.

                                      For more information on energy choice in DC, Pepco has a brief explanation here, along with a list of approved energy providers: http://www.pepco.com/home/choice/dc/

                                      Matt

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 24, 2012

                                        Thanks for your message and the good advice, Ms. Lee.  I encourage anyone with suspicions to NOT open your door to strangers, even those in what appear to be uniforms, NOT sign contracts or subscriptions, and NOT give money or personal identifiers (or details of your energy bills) to solicitors at your door.

                                        Andy Solberg