DC Agency to Combat Fraud

  • Smith, Yvonne (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2006
      News Release for Immediate Release

      July 13, 2006

      DCRA Announces Office of Consumer Protection Workshop Schedule

      "We're excited to bring consumer education to each ward in the city," said Canavan. Our Office of Consumer Protection exists to help you make sure that you are not a fraud statistic and that you get everything you pay for. If you have a problem with a business in the District, we're here for you. We can help you become a smarter consumer."

      It pays to be a smart consumer. According to a survey by the Federal Trade Commission, nearly 25 million Americans-11.2 percent of the adult population-experience consumer fraud each year. The Office of Consumer Protection is hosting a series of workshops to educate District residents on how they can protect and enhance their buying power.

      Office of Consumer Protection Neighborhood Workshop Schedule
      Ward
      Date
      Public Library Location Time
      1
      Tuesday, July 25
      Mount Pleasant 6:30 - 8:30 pm
      2
      Wednesday, July 26
      West End 6:30 - 8:30 pm
      3
      Thursday, August 3 Cleveland Park 6:30 - 8:30 pm
      4
      Wednesday, August 9 Thornton/Shepherd Park 6:30 - 8:30 pm
      5
      Tuesday, August 15 Lamont-Riggs 6:30 - 8:30 pm
      6
      Tuesday, August 22 Southeast Neighborhood 6:30 - 8:30 pm
      7
      Wednesday, August 30 Francis A. Gregory 6:30 - 8:30 pm
      8
      Tuesday, September 5
      Washington Highlands 6:30 - 8:30 pm

      http://dcra.dc.gov/dcra/cwp/view,a,11,q,637381,dcraNav_GID,1695.asp
      Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs

      <http://www.dcrs/> http://www.dcr <http://www.dcra.dc.gov/> a.dc.gov

      Phone: (202) 442-4400
      Fax: (202) 442-9445
      941 North Capitol Street, NE

      Licenses professionals and businesses; inspects and regulates building, housing, and land; and enforces business laws for the District's residents, companies, and entrepreneurs.

      Office of Consumer Protection

      Whether you're hiring a mechanic, contracting a carpenter to remodel your kitchen or your entire house, buying or selling on the Internet, or opening a bank account, it pays to know how to spot scams. According to a survey by the Federal Trade Commission, nearly 25 million Americans-11.2 percent of the adult population-experience consumer fraud each year.

      The DCRA's Office of Consumer Protection exists to help you make sure that you are not a fraud statistic and that you get everything you pay for-how and when you pay for it. We can help you become a smarter consumer with information on protecting yourself from fraud. And if you have a consumer problem with a business in the District, we're here for you.

      Select the links below for more information:

      *
      Tips for Getting the Results You Want <http://dcra.dc.gov/dcra/cwp/view,a,1343,q,637339.asp> -Before calling us, try these proven methods for resolving consumer complaints.

      *
      Consumer Corner <http://dcra.dc.gov/dcra/cwp/view,a,1343,q,637346.asp> -Verify business licenses. Get information about hiring home improvement contractors and working with auto repair shops.

      *
      Help from Other District of Columbia Agencies <http://dcra.dc.gov/dcra/cwp/view,a,1343,q,637318.asp> -A number of other city agencies deal with consumer protection and consumer problems, including the Office of the Attorney General (OAG), the Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking (DISB), the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and the Superior Court of DC.