Re: [MPD-5D] Alleged Drunk Driving Incident

  • Matt Studer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
      Thank you, Lt Jeter!

      On Tuesday, December 11, 2012, Jeter, Bryant (MPD) wrote:

      Hello all,
      I queried the PSA 507 officers working that night and I was informed that the lady operating the vehicle had a mechanical problem (Tie Rod) separated, causing her to lose control and thus she struck several parked vehicles. Reports were taken for damaged to property for the vehicle owners (CCN 12-171-613). Sorry this information was not available last evening because the responding officer(s) were on day off.
      Bryant A. Jeter
      Lieutenant
      Metropolitan Police Department
      1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
      Washington, D.C. 20002
      Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
      Office: 202-698-0276
      Cell: 202-615-7109
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
        Yep, Keith, that appears to be the case. "Alleged" is clearly the operative term, in this instance.
        :D
        And it seems less was mistakenly thought of the 507 team, as well. That's too bad. But it's a good lesson in life.

        We ought not jump to conclusions based upon idle speculations. Absent hearing from other 'sides' and/or other perspectives, everyone deserves the benefit of an initial doubt-- and due process-- including MPD's finest.

        Detectives and prosecutors alike can provide reams of recent, real-world examples where totally credible witnesses report nearly opposite descriptions of events.

        We never want to discourage citizen participation and cooperation when public safety is at stake. But it's just a fact, that cops hear lots of free advice-- and lots of creative speculations, too, from otherwise thoughtful, helpful and well-intentioned citizens.

        I totally understand Kathy's and Matt's concern. I once had a nearly new car sideswiped by a reckless driver when I lived on Monroe Street. Gosh, I was ticked!

        However, I also lost a wheel once at about 35mph due to faulty, loose lug nuts. In that instance, I was just plain lucky-- with no traffic around me, in a usually busy intersection-- as I swerved all over the place. I'm sure had it happened around 2 or 3 a.m., with nightclubs close by, witnesses might easily have assumed I was a drunk driver.

        That's why we have police, detectives and prosecutors whose craft is dedicated to carefully sifting through often conflicting information and/or easily mistaken accounts to find out what really happened.

        Let's thank them all again for their dedication to that craft.

        brian/
        PSA 504

        --- In MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com, "Mr. Keith Jarrell" <keith.k.jarrell@...> wrote:

        So the story of driving while intoxicated was made up by the citizen, and the driver falsely accused?

      • khenderson029@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
          Thank you Lt. Jeter. This information is helpful in calming neighbors' fears somewhat regarding this incident. I understand the tie rod connection in damaging the other vehicles. The 1700 block of Lang Place is a narrow one-way street. This driver went down this street in the wrong direction and lost her wheel when she tried to back out. What prevented her from seeing the one-way sign? Now neighbors are demanding that bright red and white do not enter signs be installed on the block. Commissioner Henderson and I support this request.

          Finally, was alcohol ruled out as a factor in this incident? Neighbors report that the individual was dressed in a manner, suggesting she had patronized a nightclub. I once had a tie rod incident that caused a significant problem; however, it did not cause me to drive the wrong way down a one-way street. Unfortunately, alcohol consumption increases during the holiday season. We support random sobriety check points to help keep everyone safe. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

          Kathy Henderson

          From: "Jeter, Bryant (MPD)" <bryant.jeter@...>
          Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:41:57 -0500