Re: [MPD-5D] Alleged Drunk Driving Incident

  • Matthew Studer
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
      I'd like to ask for a little more foliow-up on this incident. If officers were involved, I'm hoping that even if there wasn't an arrest, there would be some record of police responding to the scene.

      Ms. Henderson, did the owners of the cars or your neighbors get any information from police about their damaged property? File police reports? I'm hoping there's some sort of paper trail that can be followed.

      My reason is asking is to find out if there is a reason why officers might not have charged someone they know is driving while intoxicated. It doesn't seem likely to me, but if it did happen I think an explanation is in order. I park my car in front of my house on my street every night, and I can't imagine walking out to a demolished car in the morning, to say nothing of the danger that DUI drivers put other people's lives in.

      Matt Studer

      On Dec 10, 2012, at 4:41 AM, "Jeter, Bryant (MPD)" <bryant.jeter@...> wrote:

      > Hello Ms. Henderson,
      > I checked the arrest for that date as well as the day after (Fri. & Sat) and time frame and I didn't see any arrest that appeared to be related. Regarding patrols in the area at that specific time I cannot say for sure. We can however, consider check points in the area if warranted.. Is this an isolated incident, or something that is occurring frequently? Happy Holiday season to you and yours!!
      > Bryant A. Jeter
      > Lieutenant
      > Metropolitan Police Department
      > 1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
      > Washington, D.C. 20002
      > Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
      > Office: 202-698-0276
      > Cell: 202-615-7109
      > email: bryant.jeter@...
      >
      > Support the DC One Fund Campaign, Each One Give One.
      > Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov. One City, Working Together!

    • Jeter, Bryant (MPD)
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2012
        Hello all,
        I queried the PSA 507 officers working that night and I was informed that the lady operating the vehicle had a mechanical problem (Tie Rod) separated, causing her to lose control and thus she struck several parked vehicles. Reports were taken for damaged to property for the vehicle owners (CCN 12-171-613). Sorry this information was not available last evening because the responding officer(s) were on day off.
        Bryant A. Jeter
        Lieutenant
        Metropolitan Police Department
        1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
        Washington, D.C. 20002
        Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
        Office: 202-698-0276
        Cell: 202-615-7109
        I'd like to ask for a little more foliow-up on this incident. If officers were involved, I'm hoping that even if there wasn't an arrest, there would be some record of police responding to the scene.

        Ms. Henderson, did the owners of the cars or your neighbors get any information from police about their damaged property? File police reports? I'm hoping there's some sort of paper trail that can be followed.

        My reason is asking is to find out if there is a reason why officers might not have charged someone they know is driving while intoxicated. It doesn't seem likely to me, but if it did happen I think an explanation is in order. I park my car in front of my house on my street every night, and I can't imagine walking out to a demolished car in the morning, to say nothing of the danger that DUI drivers put other people's lives in.

        Matt Studer

        On Dec 10, 2012, at 4:41 AM, "Jeter, Bryant (MPD)" <bryant.jeter@...> wrote:

        > Hello Ms. Henderson,
        > I checked the arrest for that date as well as the day after (Fri. & Sat) and time frame and I didn't see any arrest that appeared to be related. Regarding patrols in the area at that specific time I cannot say for sure. We can however, consider check points in the area if warranted.. Is this an isolated incident, or something that is occurring frequently? Happy Holiday season to you and yours!!
        > Bryant A. Jeter
        > Lieutenant
        > Metropolitan Police Department
        > 1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
        > Washington, D.C. 20002
        > Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
        > Office: 202-698-0276
        > Cell: 202-615-7109
        > email: bryant.jeter@...
        >
        > Support the DC One Fund Campaign, Each One Give One.
        > Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov. One City, Working Together!

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Mr. Keith Jarrell

          I'd like to ask for a little more foliow-up on this incident. If officers were involved, I'm hoping that even if there wasn't an arrest, there would be some record of police responding to the scene.

          Ms. Henderson, did the owners of the cars or your neighbors get any information from police about their damaged property? File police reports? I'm hoping there's some sort of paper trail that can be followed.

          My reason is asking is to find out if there is a reason why officers might not have charged someone they know is driving while intoxicated. It doesn't seem likely to me, but if it did happen I think an explanation is in order. I park my car in front of my house on my street every night, and I can't imagine walking out to a demolished car in the morning, to say nothing of the danger that DUI drivers put other people's lives in.

          Matt Studer

          On Dec 10, 2012, at 4:41 AM, "Jeter, Bryant (MPD)" <bryant.jeter@...> wrote:

          > Hello Ms. Henderson,
          > I checked the arrest for that date as well as the day after (Fri. & Sat) and time frame and I didn't see any arrest that appeared to be related. Regarding patrols in the area at that specific time I cannot say for sure. We can however, consider check points in the area if warranted.. Is this an isolated incident, or something that is occurring frequently? Happy Holiday season to you and yours!!
          > Bryant A. Jeter
          > Lieutenant
          > Metropolitan Police Department
          > 1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
          > Washington, D.C. 20002
          > Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
          > Office: 202-698-0276
          > Cell: 202-615-7109
          > email: bryant.jeter@...
          >
          > Support the DC One Fund Campaign, Each One Give One.
          > Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov. One City, Working Together!

        • Matt Studer

            I'd like to ask for a little more foliow-up on this incident. If officers were involved, I'm hoping that even if there wasn't an arrest, there would be some record of police responding to the scene.

            Ms. Henderson, did the owners of the cars or your neighbors get any information from police about their damaged property? File police reports? I'm hoping there's some sort of paper trail that can be followed.

            My reason is asking is to find out if there is a reason why officers might not have charged someone they know is driving while intoxicated. It doesn't seem likely to me, but if it did happen I think an explanation is in order. I park my car in front of my house on my street every night, and I can't imagine walking out to a demolished car in the morning, to say nothing of the danger that DUI drivers put other people's lives in.

            Matt Studer

            On Dec 10, 2012, at 4:41 AM, "Jeter, Bryant (MPD)" <bryant.jeter@...> wrote:

            > Hello Ms. Henderson,
            > I checked the arrest for that date as well as the day after (Fri. & Sat) and time frame and I didn't see any arrest that appeared to be related. Regarding patrols in the area at that specific time I cannot say for sure. We can however, consider check points in the area if warranted.. Is this an isolated incident, or something that is occurring frequently? Happy Holiday season to you and yours!!
            > Bryant A. Jeter
            > Lieutenant
            > Metropolitan Police Department
            > 1805 Bladensburg Rd., NE.
            > Washington, D.C. 20002
            > Patrol Service Area (PSA)507
            > Office: 202-698-0276
            > Cell: 202-615-7109
            > email: bryant.jeter@...
            >
            > Support the DC One Fund Campaign, Each One Give One.
            > Learn more at www.dconefund.org or www.onefund.dc.gov. One City, Working Together!

          • brian.ions
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
              Yep, Keith, that appears to be the case. "Alleged" is clearly the operative term, in this instance.
              :D
              And it seems less was mistakenly thought of the 507 team, as well. That's too bad. But it's a good lesson in life.

              We ought not jump to conclusions based upon idle speculations. Absent hearing from other 'sides' and/or other perspectives, everyone deserves the benefit of an initial doubt-- and due process-- including MPD's finest.

              Detectives and prosecutors alike can provide reams of recent, real-world examples where totally credible witnesses report nearly opposite descriptions of events.

              We never want to discourage citizen participation and cooperation when public safety is at stake. But it's just a fact, that cops hear lots of free advice-- and lots of creative speculations, too, from otherwise thoughtful, helpful and well-intentioned citizens.

              I totally understand Kathy's and Matt's concern. I once had a nearly new car sideswiped by a reckless driver when I lived on Monroe Street. Gosh, I was ticked!

              However, I also lost a wheel once at about 35mph due to faulty, loose lug nuts. In that instance, I was just plain lucky-- with no traffic around me, in a usually busy intersection-- as I swerved all over the place. I'm sure had it happened around 2 or 3 a.m., with nightclubs close by, witnesses might easily have assumed I was a drunk driver.

              That's why we have police, detectives and prosecutors whose craft is dedicated to carefully sifting through often conflicting information and/or easily mistaken accounts to find out what really happened.

              Let's thank them all again for their dedication to that craft.

              brian/
              PSA 504

            • khenderson029@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2012
                Thank you Lt. Jeter. This information is helpful in calming neighbors' fears somewhat regarding this incident. I understand the tie rod connection in damaging the other vehicles. The 1700 block of Lang Place is a narrow one-way street. This driver went down this street in the wrong direction and lost her wheel when she tried to back out. What prevented her from seeing the one-way sign? Now neighbors are demanding that bright red and white do not enter signs be installed on the block. Commissioner Henderson and I support this request.

                Finally, was alcohol ruled out as a factor in this incident? Neighbors report that the individual was dressed in a manner, suggesting she had patronized a nightclub. I once had a tie rod incident that caused a significant problem; however, it did not cause me to drive the wrong way down a one-way street. Unfortunately, alcohol consumption increases during the holiday season. We support random sobriety check points to help keep everyone safe. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

                Kathy Henderson

                From: "Jeter, Bryant (MPD)" <bryant.jeter@...>
                Sender: MPD-5D@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:41:57 -0500