Attempted car robbery in Home Depot parking lot.

  • Tom Usselman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2006
      Hi,

      As I was reading the crime report today I noticed this entry:
      ----------------------------
      PSA 505
      7/18/2006
      6:00:00 PM
      Robbery
      Gun
      900 B/O RHODE ISLAND AVE NE
      CCN 6096459
      "C-1 REPORTS WHILE WALKING TO HIS CAR, WHICH WAS PARKED IN THE HOME
      DEPOT LOT, HE WAS APPROACHED FROM BEHIND BY S-1 WHO PRODUCED A
      HANDGUN AND DEMANDED C-1 TO GIVE HIM HIS KEYS. C-1 COMPLIED. S-1
      ATTEMPTED TO TAKE C-1'S VEHICLE WHICH FAILED"
      ----------------------------

      I don't know why the attempt failed, but I called Home Depot and
      asked them what they are doing to protect customers in the parking
      lot. Of course the person on the phone could not answer that
      question. They just take the complaints. I asked for a member if
      Home Depot Corporate security to call me back to discuss the issue.
      The operator would not commit to that request.

      Due the recent Crime emergency, I encourage all of you to call Home
      Depot, Giant and any other retail outlet that you frequent and
      insist they provide increased security both inside and outside their
      stores. Every time I have been to Home Depot, I see security inside
      the store but I rarely see it outside. They seem more concerned
      about shop lifting then about what happens in the parking lots. Do
      they have a working camera system? Wal-Marts do even in the safer
      suburbs.

      Home Depot's Number is 800-553-3199
      Giant is 888-469-4426

      At the PSA meeting last night, we heard from the police that they
      are working as hard as they can to address the increase in crime.
      They asked us to help them by reporting crime at 311.

      I think we can take that a step further. Let's pressure the
      companies that are making a profit selling merchandise in our city
      to provide better private security. They should be actively engaged
      with MPDC to protect their customers.

      If Home Depot had better security, maybe the robbery attempt would
      not have been made and the officer that responded to take the
      complaint could have been working on other public safety issues.

      If you have any questions, Please feel free to contact me.
      Thanks,
      Tom Usselman
    • Tom Usselman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2006
        Hi,

        This question is for Lt. <mailto:anthony.medoro@...> Anthony Medoro and
        the officers of PSA 505.

        I received an email from a resident about a robbery attempt yesterday.
        According to the resident they were at Home Depot and witnessed a man
        re-entering the store calling for the police. She indicated that he we
        saying that someone tried to steal his car and rob him.

        So the question is:

        Are these cases related? I'm guessing not because the complaint date below
        is the 18th and yesterday was the 19th. She also said it was about 6:30 pm.

        Do you have any suspects or have any arrests been made?

        Has Home Depot been in contact with MPD?

        Thanks for your help,

        Tom Usselman

        Fifth District Citizens Advisory Council

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2006
          I agree with you, Tom. A couple of months ago, I was at the Giant parking lot, late in the evening, and noticed some unusual and unsafe activity going on. I attempted to request assistance from the off duty officer (who wears his uniform while performing his off duty assignment) for assistance but he was of no help and stayed in his "office" in Giant. Due to this, I contacted 311 and received assistance within a few minutes. Anyways, I filed a complaint online with Giant and have received feedback from them. So, also, I would suggest filing written complaints.
          Hope this helps,
          Erin
          10th

        • Tara Ballesteros
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2006
            Unfortunately, I don't think this is an isolated incident. I urge everyone
            to be vigilant in the Giant and Home Depot parking lot. In April I was
            mugged in the early evening (it was still light out) on the pedestrian ramp
            on the Brentwood side of the Home Depot. With all the security cameras in
            the lot you think they would have caught it all on tape, but when the police
            pulled the tapes they didn't see anything. Additionally, when I commented
            to Giant representatives about what happened they told me I would be
            surprised by how often things like this take place. If, as I suspect,
            incidents such as these are continually occurring I would hope that Home
            Depot and Giant would work to address the problem. As a community we should
            encourage them to do so.

            Tara Ballesteros

          • Medoro, Anthony (MPD)
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 23, 2006