Re: [Eckington] the R Street bike lanes

  • Allison Stewart
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
      This sentence could just as easily (if not more easily) say "CARS blow
      through stop signs, fail to yield the right of way making turns, fail to
      stop for red lights. CARS not in CAR lanes try to pass on the right in the
      space between the lane and parked cars." Bicyclists absolutely need to
      follow the law but it is absolutely ridiculous that drivers (especially DC
      ones) think that bikes should be ticketed for not following the law, and
      then complain that they get red light camera tickets, parking tickets, or
      speeding tickets. [Not that Ted is doing that, specifically, but this is a
      common theme - you need to follow the law MORE than I have to! It's a
      ridiculous sentiment.].

      And since MPD's on here, I'd like to point out that when I cross FL Ave on
      foot from R to the FL Ave park (almost daily) NOT ONE CAR ever stops to let
      me pass, despite the fact that it's the law AND there are plentiful signs.
      I strongly suggest putting a light or a stop sign there. Someone's going
      to get killed.

      Allison

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
        Is that REALLY the difference?  How many cars are on the road compared to bicyclists?  Even if every single bicyclist broke the law on a daily basis in DC, it would still be less than, what, 0.5% of all the traffic on the road?  And how many of those cars break the law?  I'd guess - in DC - 30-50%.  And when cars break the law there is a significantly greater chance of physical harm to the driver or someone else.  (Not that it's 0% chance of harm for bicyclists, but there is generally a big difference in the potential harm when a bicyclist breaks the law compared to a car or truck.)  So it makes sense that the majority of enforcement - and cameras - would be for cars.

        None of which justifies bicyclists breaking the law (I know someone will try to say that's what I mean) and none of which justifies car drivers breaking the law.

        Allison
        On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Tony Humphries <ubalt@...> wrote:
        Allison

        The difference is that there are camera enforcement and those DO catch cars but do not catch cyclists who break the traffic laws.

        And I do stop at that crossing you speak of but not many folks do not. I've probably stopped for you before.

        I cannot speak for the Ward5 list serve folks as a whole,  but any info that help educate me and others is much appreciated.

        Thanks again...

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Nov 30, 2012, at 5:38 PM, "Allison Stewart" <allisonstewart@...> wrote:

        This sentence could just as easily (if not more easily) say "CARS blow through stop signs, fail to yield the right of way making turns, fail to stop for red lights. CARS not in CAR lanes try to pass on the right in the space between the lane and parked cars."  Bicyclists absolutely need to follow the law but it is absolutely ridiculous that drivers (especially DC ones) think that bikes should be ticketed for not following the law, and then complain that they get red light camera tickets, parking tickets, or speeding tickets.  [Not that Ted is doing that, specifically, but this is a common theme - you need to follow the law MORE than I have to!  It's a ridiculous sentiment.]

        Anyway, anything posted here will do nothing to sway people on the Ward5 listserv.  While it's a crazy listserv, if you don't stand up for what's right you're just letting it degenerate further.

        And since MPD's on here, I'd like to point out that when I cross FL Ave on foot from R to the FL Ave park (almost daily) NOT ONE CAR ever stops to let me pass, despite the fact that it's the law AND there are plentiful signs.  I strongly suggest putting a light or a stop sign there.  Someone's going to get killed.

        Allison

        On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM, <mcginnfamily@...> wrote:
        They blow through stop signs, fail to yield the right of way making turns, fail to stop for red lights. Bikes not in bike lanes try to pass on the right in the space between the lane and parked cars.

      • Katherine Makris
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
          I second that about FL ave and R St. I bike to work on R and I DO follow the law, and have watched countless people nearly get hit in that intersection daily. Cars blow through the pedestrian signs and and intentionally try to intimidate pedestrians and cyclists.