FW: DDOT Release: Mayor Gray Announces Emergency Rulemaking to Raise Speed Limit on Two District Roadways

  • Press, MPD (MPD)
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2012

      Government of the District of Columbia
      Department of Transportation

      Triple Logo cropped

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Friday, November 30, 2012
      Media Contact:  John Lisle at 202.671.2004, john.lisle@...

      Mayor Gray Announces Emergency Rulemaking to Raise Speed Limit on Two District Roadways

      (WASHINGTON, D.C.) – Mayor Vincent C. Gray today announced that he has ordered an emergency rulemaking to permit the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) to raise the speed limit on two District roadways. DDOT will raise the speed limit to 35 MPH on Benning Road, NE, between Oklahoma Avenue and Kenilworth Avenue (DC 295). DDOT will also raise the speed limit on DC 295 to 50 MPH so that the maximum legal speed is consistent from the Maryland border at Eastern Avenue to the southern border with Maryland on I-295 near the Wilson Bridge.

      “These are roadways where we have previously studied the speed limits and can make changes immediately without significantly impacting safety,” Mayor Gray said. “We want drivers to respect our traffic laws, and in return we have to have realistic expectations of them that match the physical environment, while continuing to protect pedestrians and cyclists.”

      The changes will take effect as soon as the emergency rulemaking has been completed and DDOT has changed the signage to reflect the new speed limits.

      The agency will also continue its comprehensive study of speed limits on other roadways across the District.

      Speed Limit Increase

      ####

      Help 9-1-1 Save Your Life!
      Create a free Safety Profile to provide critical, lifesaving data to 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency call today at
      www.smart911.com.
      Inform first responders in advance!