Re: fireworks & police response

  • thinblueline58
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 10:28 AM
      It is practically impossible to respond to every call for fireworks
      in a timely manner on July Fourth. Every corner has a group of people
      (often unsupervised children) setting them off. Officers respond to
      these calls with our 'position one' lights on. These are the rapidly-
      blinking white lights we are required to have on at all times because
      the powers that be have decided it's more important that citizens see
      us while we patrol than actually having officers able to arrive on a
      scene without broadcasting that arrival blocks ahead of time. Before
      we even get within a block, anyone doing anything illegal has either
      stashed whatever it is that they are not supposed to have or
      scattered in different directions. This not only applies to fireworks
      on July Fourth, but guns, drugs, etc., on a daily basis. (Off the
      topic, most officers and officials agree that these blinking lights
      actually increase the chances of crashes at intersections because
      drivers on cross streets tend to stop short when they see our
      cruisers approaching, assuming we are on an emergency run. This is
      especially true with the new cruisers whose 'position one' lights are
      strobes rather than just blinking lights.)

      I'm sorry we did not arrive at your location in a timely manner, but
      given the circumstances, I trust you'll understand why. Also keep in
      mind that criminals do not take holidays off. They are every bit as
      active, actually MORE so, on July Fourth as on non-holidays.